News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

2016 Winter Season Thread

Started by James Gryphon, December 02, 2016, 12:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

Can anyone believe it's been a whole year gone by already? They seem to just come and go these days. Grats to Rosie, a special young lady, for her contributions these last few months!

We don't have too much on our schedule for the holidays, but I suppose there's some time to maybe fill that in. There's two special Christmas-related church events coming up in the next couple of weeks, a youth party and a church banquet, and then we'll be out of town to visit my grandfather in Atlanta, Texas. This season we'll be staying at a hotel for those nights out of town, which will be a new but not unwelcome experience for me (the fold-out guest bed at the house isn't as comfortable as it was when I was a kid).

What'll y'all be up to, and who will you be doing it with?
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

Nice name for the season Rosie. Glad to have you on the Forum! :)

Jukka the Sling

Congratulations, Rosie!  You're an incredibly important part of the forum family.  Love the name!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rosie Willowwater

Quote from: Groddil on December 02, 2016, 01:06:32 AM
Nice name for the season Rosie. Glad to have you on the Forum! :)
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 02, 2016, 01:08:22 AM
Congratulations, Rosie!  You're an incredibly important part of the forum family.  Love the name!
*Blushes* Thank you so much guys!!  ;D

I have the most uneventful life so, as far as I know my winter will be (online) Christmas shopping and schoolwork. :P

Cornflower MM

Congratulations Rosiepose! *Tight hugs* You chose a great name! And I couldn't have picked a better person. :)

My plans? DANCE. I have five competitions, starting in. . . February? At least one basketball game to dance at in January, and fundraisers. Plus recital choreography!

Groddil

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on December 02, 2016, 01:16:29 AM
I have the most uneventful life so, as far as I know my winter will be (online) Christmas shopping and schoolwork. :P

My Summer will be waiting for my computer to be built, and hoping I get work on Christmas. :p

Schoolwork? Are you kidding? Over the holidays? Oh right, you guys don't end your school year at the end of the year for some reason. That's kinda weird. We finished Grade 10 last week, and start 11 in January. That makes more sense than American terms. :p

Jukka the Sling

I don't celebrate Christmas, sooo... nothing interesting will be happening on that front.  My dad and two of my younger siblings are going to New Zealand for a visit next week, and they'll be back on Christmas Day.  #insanelyjealous

@Groddil:  American schools usually have a several-day break around Christmas.  I think?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

@Jukka: You don't? I thought you were Christian. . . ?

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Peony on December 02, 2016, 01:36:46 AM
@Jukka: You don't? I thought you were Christian. . . ?
Yeah, but we don't celebrate it.  My parents don't like the pagan origins.

Cornflower MM

Neither do mine, so we just have a fun time and give gifts and have a big family thing.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 02, 2016, 01:33:49 AMMy dad and two of my younger siblings are going to New Zealand for a visit next week
What for, and why those siblings? ;)

(For those interested, the thing about Christmas isn't an uncommon point of variance in Christian circles. If I had to guess I'd say the majority do do something for it, but there's also a decent percentage that don't. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, though, you do have the option of celebrating Hanukkah!)

There's also Loamhedge Day and my birthday, so it's safe to say there's a lot to look forward to this month, regardless of your beliefs. :)
« Subject to editing »

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: James Gryphon on December 02, 2016, 01:51:11 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 02, 2016, 01:33:49 AMMy dad and two of my younger siblings are going to New Zealand for a visit next week
Well, we were hoping the whole family could go for a few weeks to visit my grandmother (who isn't in great health, seeing as she has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home) and great-aunt.  But flying there is just so expensive this time of year, and we decided that only my dad would go with the 6- and 8-year-old, since they never knew their grandma.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: James Gryphon on December 02, 2016, 01:51:11 AM

(For those interested, the thing about Christmas isn't an uncommon point of variance in Christian circles. If I had to guess I'd say the majority do do something for it, but there's also a decent percentage that don't. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, though, you do have the option of celebrating Hanukkah!)

There's also Loamhedge Day and my birthday, so it's safe to say there's a lot to look forward to this month, regardless of your beliefs. :)

Oh. Huh. Learn something new everyday.

Also Sierra's birthday.

Russa Nodrey

Freddy

Groddil

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 02, 2016, 01:33:49 AM
I don't celebrate Christmas, sooo... nothing interesting will be happening on that front.  My dad and two of my younger siblings are going to New Zealand for a visit next week, and they'll be back on Christmas Day.  #insanelyjealous

@Groddil:  American schools usually have a several-day break around Christmas.  I think?

Wuh? We get nearly 2 and a half months. How long is summer break for you guys?