News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Here we are RP

Started by The Skarzs, July 10, 2018, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

Dann watched the Log-a-log out of the corner of his eye, all things considered, this was a halfway-decent outcome. He let out a quiet, heavy breath. He was still mad, but they were better off taking what they'd gotten than gambling for anything more. Weariness almost immediately fell upon the squirrel as the fiasco hit its' resolution. He knew he shouldn't, but he peaked at his stinging paw. Sure enough, there was a decent cut right across it, and a few bonus scratches to boot. Vision blurry, and head dizzy, Corn showed up at almost the worst possible time, making him extra glad that his fur was white so as to hide the paleness that would've certainly showed otherwise. He turned to her, letting the cut paw dangle innocently, though pointedly turned inward so she wouldn't notice anything, "I'll be fine, heart's pumpin' a bit faster though." "Thank God for tenses and ambiguity." He'd turned toward the furry blob based on her voice, but that was about the sum total of movement he could handle without further complications. He locked his legs and waist in place, letting the world spin around him, forcing himself to accept that he knew exactly where he stood, and that no correction was necessary. It was all he could do to keep his voice and words straight, "Guess we'll have to take what we can get, Noonvale can't afford us much in terms of time."
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

Observation and attention to detail had always been one of Corn's strengths as a human, and as a squirrel it was no different. Reading everyone else - Particularly her three companions, as she knew them so well - hadn't been difficult in the slightest, and that moment was no exception. It was with a frown that Corn noted Dann's posture changes and stiffness, his slightly unfocused eyesight, and the reassurances she normally would've believed only made her pause.

"It was a good start, at the very least. Do you want to sit down for a minute? You don't look.... great, and we have a few extra minutes before we need to go."

Dannflower Reguba

Dann held back a frown, "Just a bit dizzy, nothing I haven't walked off before." He debated saying something to Drakken, but he didn't really have any words for him. It would be awkward to just talk to him at a time like this, and he couldn't justify an apology as he felt no regret. Rather, the squirrel worried whether he'd been harsh enough... even so, he'd reached his limit, even a wink of conflict could blow him over at this point... It felt awful, but such was the price of progress, something they desperately needed right now. He let out a sigh, "Sorry if I worried you, they pushed me over the edge, and I wasn't about to go along with their games... Here's hoping things actually change a little around here." The water was nearby so he made his way to it, disguising what was essentially a fall as something at least akin to a slide. The frigid water felt amazing now, though he was lucky that the bark of pain from accidentally putting his right paw in was cut off by a throat clearing. Kneeling next to the water and washing up had definitely helped screw his head back on, but he knew his heart was going to be shaky for... a long time yet.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

Corn followed Dann to the river's edge, flinching as he fell and slithered down the embankment. She had reached out to steady him, but hesitation had made her too slow and thankfully he hadn't seen. "Dann...." She paused as she crouched down. Something was clearly wrong and the fact that her fellow squirrel was trying to hide it was extremely frustrating and worrying to Corn, and she wasn't quite sure how to proceed. Catching a glimpse of the gash on Dann's palm, she frowned, "What's that? Lemme take a look." Stretching out her own paw to take Dann's, she looked at him, "I know you're not telling me something, and I know you're not as alright as you're trying to appear to be. Let me help. Please. All four of us are pretty much lost if we don't work together, and it's crazy enough right now without that happening."

Something over his shoulder caught Corn's eye - The shrews were starting to get ready to set off again, albeit a bit more quietly this time. She couldn't locate Skarzs and Jukka at first glance, even with how they towered over the shrews, and she flicked her gaze back to Dann. "So, friend. Will you let me help you?"

The Skarzs

Skarzs stayed near Jukka, not quite comfortable to let her be by herself yet, but not wanting to hover. He suggested they get back in the boat. "Hopefully neither of us will fall this time," he added with a half-hearted laugh.
  His jaw hurt substantially, but he could not do anything about it. Touching it stung, and it was still bleeding a bit. Ignoring the cut, Skarzs looked around, eventually finding his eyes resting on Dan and Corn. They were crouched near the river, talking. He caught a few words, and saw Corn looking at Dan's paw. . . There was red. The cougar made a thoughtful grunt; it wasn't entirely unexpected for someone else to get injured. At least it wasn't more serious.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Jukka gave a wry snort.  "Yeah, let's hope so."  She glanced at Skarzs's swollen face again, wincing sympathetically.  He was gonna need to put something cold on that.

She moved off towards the boat, a bit slowly, eyeing Dann and Corn who were by... in? ...the water.  From what she could see, Dann didn't look in the best of shape.  Red glinted on his paw, stark against his pale fur.

"Looks like he... cut himself?" she muttered, half to herself.  A thought dawned.  "Oh... did he cut himself rescuing me?"

She reached the bank above the two squirrels a moment later, and squelched down through the mud to them.  "Is... everything okay?" she asked, peering at Dann worriedly.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Dannflower Reguba

Dann closed his right fist, pulling it closer to his chest, defensively. He took a moment to formulate his words, "Think about it Corn, I just stood up to their Log-a-log, they're not going to be happy with me... well, ever. It's really not that bad, but if we make a fuss over it, the shrews may take it as a sign of weakness and try to exploit it somehow." A weak excuse to be sure, but he was searching for anything to keep Corn from worrying more, and he was sure the cut looked worse than it was. To complicate things further, Jukka showed up behind him. He turned to his other friend, a pleasant expression much in evidence, "Couple'a dings maybe, nothing too serious though." He took the opportunity to scan the undergrowth behind Jukka for some preferably clean, soft grass, a fistful of which could potentially alleviate the stinging in the face of just how much rowing was ahead of them.

The Skarzs

"Here, this will help."
  Skarzs turned his head to Cress, who was holding a dockleaf in her paw. She reached up and pressed it to his jaw, and the soothing properties of the leaf felt good on it. Skarzs took it and held it there, surprised. "Thank you," he said with a smile, and Cress smiled back. After a moment, the cougar had a thought. "Did you have any more of those? I think Dan could use one."
  "Oh! Yes I do." The otter showed another leaf she held by the stem and went off toward the squirrel.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Corn sighed heavily, irritated. "Yeah, I suppose you're not wrong. Still." As Jukka came up behind them she cut herself off, deciding to just drop the subject.... For now. She knew far too well how stubborn Dann could be and if it was going to come to a battle of wills she'd more than likely lose, and he was right - A scene would not go over very well.

That didn't stop her from glaring at his back as he turned to talk to Jukka, however, before smiling at her. "How about you, though? Are you doing alright?" Everything else aside, Jukka had fallen into the river, and she still looked pretty soggy. Other than that, she seemed pretty cheery and sounded much better, at least.

Jukka the Sling

"Oh... that's good then," Jukka answered, a bit doubtfully, glancing between the two of them.  She had seen the glare Corn had shot Dann's way.  What had they been talking about, exactly...?

Corn turned toward her then and smiled, and Jukka shoved her train of thought away.  She could wonder about it later.

"How about you, though?" Corn asked.  "Are you doing alright?"

"I think I'm okay?  Definitely better than a few minutes ago, at least."  It was true, although she still felt a bit tired.  She glanced out over the river, wondering when they would get underway again.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Dannflower Reguba

"That's good to hear, but please let me know if you end up feeling nausea at some point. Pretty sure you went into shock for awhile, need to be careful with what you're doing for a bit longer yet." Shortly after, Cress showed up with the leaf to which Dann raised an eyebrow.

"Your friend said you needed one too, plenty to go around!"

The squirrel sighed quietly, "Many thanks Cress." He reached out with his left hand to grab the gift, rising as he did so, nodding once to be extra sure his gratefulness was conveyed. His head still felt a tad light, but he could tell where he was going, and his legs were a bit more obedient now, "Ladies? After you." He performed an extravagant bow, right paw still closed, indicating the general direction of the quickly disappearing campsite.

Jukka the Sling

"Okay."  Jukka nodded in acknowledgment of Dann's admonition.  Had she really gone into shock back there...?  Wow, yeah, maybe she had.  Wack.  Nothing like that had happened before.

Mossflower was already proving to be much harsher and realer than she had expected.

She stepped out of the way when Cress arrived with a dockleaf, then, at Dann's bidding, made her way back up the bank.

The shrews looked to be nearly ready to go, though Jukka caught many surly glances thrown their way.  It was uncomfortable, to say the least, and she wasn't sure where to look, so she plastered on an awkward smile and kept her eyes down as she walked over to the logboats.

Cornflower MM

OOC: Sorry, never saw Jukka's post.

BIC:         With a sigh, Corn followed Jukka back up the bank, slowing her pace once she reached a short distance from the river. Just because she was rather irritated by Dann's stubbornness didn't mean she wasn't going to keep an eye on him - after all, letting him fall over unconscious would rather defeat the purpose as well as causing undue fuss.

Cress had started up the bank after Corn, but because of the squirrel's dawdling she soon caught up. "Hey, Cress, thanks for helping Skarzs and Dann out. I'm not that familiar with the plantlife around here, maybe next time we stop you can show me what's what for some of it and how to use it? If you're not busy, or anything." Corn smiled at the ottermaid, hoping to come off as friendly as possible. It looked like their group was going to be pretty accident prone and the knowledge couldn't hurt, and besides, it was the sort of thing Corn enjoyed learning.

Jukka the Sling

Cress smiled at Cornflower.  "Sure, I'd be happy to!  Next time we stop to camp, then?"  The squirrelmaid seemed eager to learn, and Cress loved to teach.

Once again, though, in spite of herself, Cress realized anew what an unusual lot these newcomers were.  They didn't seem to have a lot of survival skills (especially Jukka), yet they had traveled from far away.  Where on earth were they from?

She suddenly realized she was frowning in thought, still looking at Cornflower.  Oops.  Hopefully Corn didn't think the frown was directed at her.  She gave her a wide smile.  "Well, later, then?  Gotta hand out these to some otherbeasts."
-----------------------
Jukka stepped into a logboat, empty of beasts except for a large old shrewwife sitting in the back.  She took great care not to rock the boat as she sat down, not at all anxious to repeat her earlier dip in the river.  The shrew-ballast in the back helped a great deal.

Cornflower MM

Corn smiled back, "Awesome! That sounds like a plan!" She firmly ignored the knots that were trying to form in her stomach at Cress's frown and hurried towards the nearest boat with Jukka - Most of the shrews had departed already, and someone being left behind was all they needed at the moment. A quick glance confirmed that Dann wasn't too terribly far behind her, although she couldn't immediately locate Skarzs - A bit odd, considering his size. "Hey, Jukka - Have you seen Skarzs lately?"