News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

A Winter to Freeze Your Heart part 2

Started by Unimaginative, February 10, 2014, 06:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

OOC: There will be a spoiler partially through this post, the contents should not be read by those who are easily queasy

The air stifled itself, the birds grew quiet, the earth below settled... even the clouds seemed to hang, suspended in motion as if holding their collective breath. This duel  between armies had so little to do with any sort of military move, no, it was far too personal for anybeast to be fooled beyond this point. A grudge match, the product of emotion and disdain. An opportunity for Raphael to drown the hopes of his opponent, a chance for Ervoyce to strike a vengeful blow. Vatra could only watch, yearning to talk some sense into Ervoyce, to take things slow, but her legs were paralyzed by something. Anger? No. Fear? Never...... Familiarity? The thought made her shiver, but the truth of the sentiment dawned on her regardless. This feeling, this helplessness, it wasn't born of any emotion, not of a feeling or hunch, not of confusion or cowardice... This thing that held her back.... It was the resemblance.... How much this friend of hers, reminded her of herself. The last piece clicked into place, but too late. Eyes widened she watched as he took one more step further into the perimeter, kneeling on both knees and staring into the dirt. The building tension in her body almost entirely drained away in a single instant. Turning slowly, she took Arya's paw in her own, not to grasp, but to examine, "His hands have these same callouses..... the hands I batted away so many times... they weren't there just to try and drag me back though, he even told me once or twice, but I didn't figure out what he meant... not 'till now." Her gaze shifted upward, looking Arya dead in the eye, a single, solemn tear having tracked itself halfway down her face, "Those times he chased me down, they weren't just to call me back, to lighten the mist," she started to turn back to the arena, "They were a desperate plea, a cry for help."

The ferret stood there, tense, poised, ready, and annoyed. Raphael was about to say something, but Gale stepped away from the camp, singling himself out. The head of his axe dented the ground as it crunched it's way into the earth by his feet. He watched Ervoyce's head tilt, eyes closed, left ear cocked to listen. This was all the invitation he needed, so he bellowed for all to hear, "You promised me an answer today! The siren wind blows, so what say yea? And what. Say. She." The only response he got was a hushed, clicking laugh.

There was no chuckling, not even cackling. No, the only sound to be heard was conniving, mischievous in the worst of ways. More like short spurts of air unceremoniously escaping the lungs of a vagabond. The voice of the badger could be heard once more, proclaiming, almost unheard by the ears keyed in by the concerning reaction of the squirrel, that the duel would begin once his eyes were opened. The silence was total, absolute, weighed down by two beasts, crossing paths for the last time. Raphael drew his bow to his chest, preparing his mind for the shot, his shot. The eyes opened and the ferret fully drew, stopping a hair's breadth from releasing. Was it shock? Rather, it seemed, an element of his plan shifted and his confidence in the shot suddenly diminished. This..... thing, in front of him..... He knew not what it was, nor what to think of it.

Ervoyce stood slowly, staring his adversary down. The clicking laugh returned momentarily, amusement brought about by Raphael's perplexity. Not that this reaction was unexpected, planned on really, as the silver of the irises was the only thing to be preserved in his eyes. The white had been replaced by a murky, dark blue color.... the color of suffocated blood, and the scar crossing over his left pupil was now scarlet. It didn't take long for other changes to become noticeable, his fur stood on end, seeming to increase his size. As the hairs unwillingly straightened out, the scars underneath became somewhat visible, a patchwork hidden by what was normally a mat of fur. An unnerving, veiled smile spread across his face, so wide as to reveal two, fang-like teeth, filed down years ago for a vicious purpose. Ervoyce's stance grew as well, his posture was not that of a swordsman... Indeed, as it got lower, claws seemingly more pronounced than before as they sunk into the dirt, there became but one way to describe such a four-legged stance, that belonging to a beast. The squirrel released a strong breath, almost enunciating it, yet no vapor came forth, no warmth to react to the chill of the air.

There was no word, no sound, no warning, as an arrow sliced through the air, passing by an airborne squirrel. Raphael cursed under his breath as he cast aside his quiver, one arrow in each paw as he drew quickly for a second time, changing his target to something a little more reliable. Ervoyce's eyes squinted smugly as the second shot rocketed past his rib cage, drawing blood, but not much. The ferret resorted, not to panic, but to anger as he muttered under his breath, albeit, loudly, "Nobeast makes light of my bow! Nobeast may make light of me!" The string snapped taut, but his post-shout smile was quickly evaporated by the sight of the beast before him, not pierced through the chest, but the flesh between his right pinkie and his wrist. Raphael was aghast, such bullheadedness, such stubbornness... such fearlessness. He blanched further, realizing that his foe had gone so far as to stop mere steps away from him, still smiling as he righted himself, bit off the arrow head, and flicked the shaft away like a table scrap. Once again, they moved in unison, one to draw his sword, the other to approach hard from the left. The sword cleaved the air, missing the feint of the squirrel who managed to throw an indecisive, right punch to the gut. The force pushed Raphael back slightly, but he found an opening and switched hands quickly to swing upward. He felt a rewarding catch, but the blood that came with it did not nearly reflect the volume that should've been spilled at this range! His stomach was convulsed once again, this time by a right foot. He fought back the urge to spit, regaining his footing immediately, and lunging forward, jabbing out and down hard with both hands. Once again, he found his mark, but did not get the result he was looking for as his blade seemed more like it got caught up in or slicing alongside the forearm he had aimed for. Too late was he to notice the left arm of Ervoyce, falling intently from above, not to strike, but to swipe. Raphael did gag once this time, as red streaks were slung alongside him from along the right side of his face. He narrowly managed to throw himself into a roll, barely escaping the foot that violently stomped the dust he left behind into a frenzy. The ferret was spinning around to stand up, but was met with a ground shaking roar! The scream of the northern wind was brought to Redwall for one, defining moment as the sword bearer's focus was shattered, lashing out almost blindly at the tempest before him. Finally! A solid blow!.... Yet despair was still the only thing Raphael turned up as the blood from this monsters' left hand rolled down the blade that it had caught. The vermin yelped as his sword paw was kicked away from the hilt. The sword sung its' last as it flew, whistling through the air to land with a disturbing squelch in Vaurie's chest at the same time that the squirrel's turned torso revealed the thinner arrow of the weasel sticking out from his shoulder blade, narrowly missing an open heart.

It was at this moment that Raphael realized his, and his former subordinate's and fellow expert marksman's folly. It was the fur, that fake mass known only to the eye as it had grown outward. He had been fooled by hair.... It was too stupid to be true, yet here he lay, on the ground, beset by a smug vagrant. He lunged forward in a desperate attempt to gain momentum, piercing Ervoyce's right shoulder and pulling himself up towards his opponents head to get at his neck. Alas, his chest was met with a surprisingly calm fist, but his left limb was too slow to pull away as it was caught by the snaking arm of the other, suddenly and loudly snapped with a sole, affirmative motion. He cried out in pain... he really was at this beast, nay, this demon's mercy. Was it really insanity? Rage? The eyes were no longer dead, yet their sharpness and intent did not bring them life. "I can see it in your face," this childish, silky voice did not match the creature that produced it, "We call it being 'free' in the frozen lands... Allow me to demonstrate."

Spoiler
       The thing came out, the "blade" that had been resting behind Ervoyce's waist was finally revealed, and not to the pleasure of anybeast present. The thing could neither be referred to as a weapon nor a tool. It had an edge, yes, partially serrated, with hooks and curves on the back side, little thorny bits that had no business being part of something carried onto the field. Such a thing could only be used, for one, sinister purpose. "It's called a' Rheav," Stormfront spoke to nobeast in particular, but continued regardless, "It is something tha 'tis only used when one regards ones opponent as somethin' less than living, devoid of value or purpose for being. 'Tis an insult, a reckoning, a vile object that weighs heavily o'er both victim and user." This explanation did little to settle the understanding of what was happening before everybeasts eyes. Ervoyce was mercilessly tearing the vermin asunder, revealing just what this "free" meant. Free of inhibition, free of mercy, free of pain, of anything other than base desire and instinct. The squirrel had truly become a monster of the most brutal order, an echo from a kingdom of blood, a symbol of power for a Northern tribe, a form of diplomacy in the stead of whole armies. None of these things did Raphael any good, nor did they offer solace in the face of agony. This opponent of his, almost unheard through the screaming... had finally shown but one thing as he leaned in close to whisper in the ferrets ear, "This is for Zanga!" The Rheav was yanked ferociously upwards, caught on many strands and fragments of the vermin's internals, the action of a beast who's only operative factor was pure, unbridled hate. Was it villainous joy that drove him forward? Perhaps not, but the horrors on display could never be justified to the unknowing woodlanders, many of whom turned away in shock. Raphael, cursed to be alive, lay there, helpless, anguished, despairing. There was no salvation, nothing that could save him from the maw of the beast, from the squirrel with fangs, from the Siren.
[close]

"ERVOYCE!" It was the voice of Gale! The squirrel's attention was dragged away from the grisly "duel," his gaze passing over the pointing badger before turning back towards the other encampment. His eyes dropped suddenly, as his murderous self realized what he was being guided to. Flickers of memory refused to leave him be as his desire fought with his will. The eyes went up again, but only enough to see the object in question, his sword... and it's purple bound grip. The cries had died to whimpers, more likely than not due to lung damage than anything else. His stare returned to the ferret, head flooded with different thoughts, a swirl of considerations, reminders, arguments.... and one decision. He sat there, contemplative, motionless, unconcerned with the creature underneath him. Then it was over, the Rheav inserted fully into the ferrets heart, the nearest thing to a blessing for him now. He stood, wiping the instrument on the tattered clothing regardless of owner. He walked towards the Torrent, but was halted by a second thud of Gale's weapon before he also stepped forward, "You've consulted with her then? Your answer?" Silence returned, overbearing, strange, but the stillness was not to be, as the world breathed a sigh when Ervoyce growled angrily and snapped the Rheav in two on his own knee, another powerful exhalation re-acquiring the steaminess of spring time breathing. "So then..... this is farewell," the squirrel merely walked past his former leader, past the Torrent, past everyone.

Vatra stood there, unmoving. She hadn't even dared to blink through the entire fiasco, not once, more that she couldn't. Her eyes closed as Ervoyce passed through the camp a fair distance away, sword clutched with a rock hard grip in her left hand. Her unseeing eyes drilled holes into the ground right in front of her, no response. No answers.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

A shocked silence fell over everyone as the battle came to a close, everyone stunned at the brutality they'd just witnessed. Arya's mind started whirling as Ervoyce (was it really him? She was hesitant to call the unknown squirrel by her trusted friend's name, even if their outward appearance was the same) turned and left.

With a glance, Arya realized Vatra had fallen into some sort of shock. "Vatra? Hey. Stay with me. Ervoyce needs you right now, we'll work everything out but we've got to make sure he's safe, okay?" She reached out to take Vatra's free paw in hopes of connecting to the other squirrel. Arya feared they didn't stand a chance of finding Ervoyce and getting him somewhere safe without her. Vatra and Ervoyce had an immensely strong bond, and if there was anybody who understood him, Vatra was the one. "Vatra? Did you hear me?" Her voice was soft and soothing as she tried to get through.

Behind them, Bryant and Ushen were just as shocked as everyone else. Bryant didn't want to disturb Arya and Vatra but he had no idea what was about to happen. They had all just witnessed a brutal bloodbath and who knew how the vermin would react? Would they leave? Would they fight? Unsettled beasts were unpredictable, and Ervoyce had left nothing of their leader. And what about the Torrent? Would they even listen to anyone outside of Ervoyce?

He glanced to Ushen to see similar thoughts flickering behind his brother's eyes. Still, everything Bryant would do hinged on Arya's orders and what she thought was best. Surely the girls would go after Ervoyce, but that was not his or Ushen's place - they were too new, they didn't have the history there. That still didn't really answer what he should do, but, hopefully, things would fall into place somewhat once the vermin figured out what happened. He supposed it would be too much to hope that they'd just up and run off, but maybe they wouldn't be too determined to stay.

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra's arm barred Arya's grasp as the former turned her head to address her dear friend, "Not this time.... This one's on me." Her eyes couldn't hide the hurt as muddled emotions sifted back and forth behind dry lids. After everything they'd been through she knew it had to be her, yet it almost felt "wrong," somehow. Her right paw gently caressed the purple binding of the sword hilt as memories of her numerous escapades flooded back... She never could've known what his initial reactions had been each of those times, only the mist, loneliness, and the surprise at his arrival, the surprise of a single scrap of peace. Had he felt these same things she was feeling now? Did he now feel as she had? Vatra winced at the thought. How did he know what to say?.... No, the better question was whether or not he'd known at the time either. Her gaze shifted to Ervoyce's back as he trudged out behind the Torrent's gathering. Perhaps it was not merely the words themselves that tugged back against the rage, but simply that anybeast had bothered to have words at all. Vatra stepped towards him, swallowing her doubt.

Cold... everything was cold except for the ferret blood soaking into his fur, bringing a harsh, burning sensation. Ervoyce felt distant from the rest of the world, separated by a dizzying haze that wouldn't even clear in response to the pain of the heat. Even his ever sharp ears felt muffled, though perhaps he'd rather not hear for the time being. The camp was passing him by as his feet continued to move forward, devoid of command. It was in this stupor that the squirrel found himself down on one knee. Having been distracted by multiple recollections and stray thoughts, he had noticed neither the swing nor his own lurch upon being struck, only now starting to realize the soreness in his gut. He felt an overwhelming desire to collapse, but something was supporting his upper body. A hand came to rest on his back, one he realized belonged to Vatra as his eyes began to clear. The gravity of all that had taken place crashed back like a cold start out of sleep, shocking his body into alertness. Violent shivering ensued, but his greater concern was the onset of panic. He hadn't planned on being around any of his friends after the fight, rather, he had no plan at all. A quick, desperate search for a way out turned up not a single avenue of retreat from the predicament at hand.

Ervoyce's body had tightened from the embarrassed panic, but soon slunk in shameful defeat. He was helpless, with no facade left to take cover behind, mangled like the poor excuse for a corpse that had been his own undoing... Even so, it was the truth, not the one he wanted anymore, but the one all who knew him deserved to know. His mouth scrambled for words, but his mind gave them no thought, "I, Vatra... Look... I don't.. can't.... don't.. I.. Ow!" Though there was little to interrupt, he did stop in response to being jarred by a quick headbutt. Vatra was holding him at arms length, also kneeling as he slipped even lower, the sight of her face only furthering his internal conflict. "Stop," he blinked, for the voice was not only hers, but, though a little shaky, emphatic, knowing, "Your eyes hide nothing, skittering around, trying to find somewhere to hide... I wonder if my own betrayed my heart before... All of those times." He tried to avert his traitorous eyes, but Vatra would not allow him to, scooting closer and placing a hand behind his left ear, thumb just in front, disallowing a turn of the head. It was a gentle touch, but one that forced him to comply with her terms. He spoke through a grimace, "I can't imagine what it was like... to have control seized from you in such a way." His head fell the short way Vatra's touch would allow as his subject changed, "All the while I've given it up willingly-" "Then why is there so much pain in your eyes!?" Ervoyce was startled by her sudden, raised voice. Blinking back the moisture, she continued fervently, "Why does your voice ache from the strain!?... Why do you feel shame if you were as willing as you would say?" Vatra pulled him close, wrapping her tail around his back, pressing his head into her shoulder as she held him in a supportive, inescapable hug, voice soft , almost a whisper next to his sensitive ears, "You chased me every time because you understood.... because you cared. I won't let you escape me now for the exact same reasons Ervoyce... You've no need to run from me... You never will." She was so.... warm. It didn't burn like the blood, it soothed like sunshine, the beams of which scorched a nameless void. He let go of himself, fur settling, and blood draining from his eyes. Vatra could feel it running down her back like a sick puddle of tears, but she didn't care, he was the squirrel she'd known these past two seasons, he was hers, and for this simple fact, she smiled.

Even the hardiest of the vermin blanched at the scene before them. Their leader was not only dead, he was in shreds scattered about the grisly grass. The lesser of Raphael's entourage had surrendered their morning's allotment to the nearest clump of green whilst the others tried to piece together what exactly was supposed to happen. They shuffled inside, skirting the body of Vaurie, the would-be interloper in the previous duel. The commotion inside was great indeed, nobeast knew what to do with the sight they'd seen. Even so, the crowd managed to turn to Jantar, their only source of leadership left. Her crazed eyes rose, but all they bore witness to was a vengeful mouse whose apparition bore a sword that would not cease to ring in her ears. She spoke as if chilled to her core, "Fight, for ye will find no comfort here. We've fallen ill of this place, these halls will consume you faster than than any army! FIGHT THAT YOU MAY RUN!"

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

Arya's eyes lit up with understanding as Vatra spoke to her, and she nodded. Her eyes tracked Vatra as she stepped away, worry flitting across her face plain as day. Bryant and Ushen stepped up from behind her, and she looked to each of them. "They'll be fine. In the meantime, the vermin need to flushed out of the Abbey and out of the grounds."

At that moment Jantar's demented screeching reached their ears through the window Ervoyce had broken, and Arya smiled a grim, horrible smile for just a moment.

Most of the Abbey allies were still completely shocked at the scene which they had just witnessed, as most had never seen such brutal violence carried out like that, the exception being the Torrent, who were largely unaffected and simply stood waiting for Gale's command. Arya scanned through them all, a frown flicking across her features as she stepped forward and let out a loud, ear piercing whistle. "EVERYONE! Now is your chance to finally reclaim your home! They will come to us and now is the time to fight like never before, for winning is just within our grasp! RUN THEM OUT!"

Dannflower Reguba

She was his. Sure, she had her rough spots, but what was that to somebeast such as Ervoyce? A wandering banshee, whose screams had been silenced by a wrathful, broken angel. They had tempered one another, forged into something that neither, nor both sides of madness could consume. Even now, with the commotion rising, all seemed to be... right. He rested in her strong embrace as she spoke to him, "We can be free, can't we? This abbey, this family, they are what we fight for now, right?.. And they need us now... Once more." She began to stand, but his body stayed upright. Blood had drained all the way down his face, but his eyes were now clear to see that purple hilt. He was propped up on a sword he had been scared to touch, no, even to look at... Yet Vatra had so soundly blazed that simple purple binding back into his grasp, it's meaning unforgettable, a symbol of her nearness to him, even now continuing to support his defiant body. He sniffed back the moisture that would become tears... He had one more job to do, one more fight to take before he could rest. Grinding himself back into working order, he stood tall, turning to face Gale on the backdrop of the vermin finally beginning to show, "Gale! I may no longer be a part of the storm that does not cease, but let me.... let me be its' herald, ONE LAST TIME!" Even the stiff badger allowed a slight tilt in his flat jawline as he faced the swelling of their enemies ranks. Ervoyce drew his sword, casting the scabbard aside as the blade was raised. The squirrel filled his chest, bellowing a familiar cry for the last time, "CHUN ONĂ“RAAAAAAAA!" The echo of the cry was lifted loud and proud by every Torrent present, their way of saying goodbye to one of their own. Nobeast dared regret, they surged forth, their brother in arms close behind to engage in a final, glorious battle, what could they do but smile? And smile they did.

"Sing with me, the song of victory," the only response Vatra got was a stifled gurgle as her javelin penetrated the chest of a flustered rat. Was it pity? No, how could she feel such towards these vile invaders. She could not identify exactly what this was, as it was not rage, though she may be angry. It was not fear, for she had none to be given for such barbarians, nor was it peace, as the melee would never allow as much. What she did know was that this vengeance was for the Abbey, the warmth was for Ervoyce and her friends, and the ferocity was to end the fight soundly and quickly. A sword snaked it's way toward her, only to be thwarted by the shaft, deflected into uselessness as the stoat who had struck was consigned to his fate. Weapon free of another carcass, she peered at it for a second, covered in so much red, yet only where there was blood. This feeling, it did not clot her eyes, nay, it was born of their clarity... Freedom.

Cornflower MM

Ervoyce's cry rang through the air, and Arya breathed a sigh of relief as she slashed her way through the crowd of fleeing vermin with a sword she'd taken from one of the first bodies to fall. She was trying to make it to the Abbey doors, but the massive flow of vermin that didn't really have any other way out made gaining ground exceedingly difficult. Plunging her pilfered sword into the side of a stoat Arya verified Byant and Ushen were covering each other nearby and paused for just a moment to look around, relishing seeing everyone working together to take back what had been stolen, before diving straight back into the fight.

As much as the sight warmed her heart, Arya had truly been looking for Vatra and Ervoyce. Their small group had been the planners, the masterminds, the driving force that made this day truly possible, and it just didn't feel quite right to not have them strictly by her side at this, the final battle. Logically she knew they were somewhere in the crowd but Arya still felt uneasy, as she would until Jantar was killed and every last vermin run out of the grounds.

Dannflower Reguba

Seemingly summoned by Arya's desire, Vatra appeared beside her friend, stubborn weasel in tow, "You're already dead! Le'ggo!" After finally managing to kick the miscreant off, she chanced a glance and a smile to the other, "Can't let you go do anything crazy when we're so close." Her comment was thoroughly saturated with sass, but the relief of Arya's safety was plain to see. Was to feel this... happy? All around the chaos of blood and death wailed the hymn of war, yet it was the culmination of a conflict far too long, a weariness to, at last, be put to rest. Pain, grief, fear, and all the other blights of a siege were running their course, and peace was on the horizon, one sunset away. Even as she was fending off a stray spear, Vatra couldn't put these thoughts from her mind, "Arya?" She paused, steeling herself, "Don't go getting yourself hurt now, ya hear?"

The sea of vermin had grown to substantial proportions, though it would part a little at times as the occasional enemy recognized Ervoyce and opted to change course. Shortly he managed to catch up with the other two, though he wasn't completely sure how he felt about being around Arya yet... Vatra may have accepted his darkness, but he couldn't just expect his other friends to do the same. "If I'm lucky, I can just make light of things and deal with this later," he spoke on arrival, "The two of you are together? Good thing I'm here to keep you from-"

"Already said that," Vatra interrupted, sass fully reinstated, and now accompanied by a giggle.

"Oh..." sails now deflated, Ervoyce found himself as the awkward observer in the wake of a foiled plan. A tired grin inched it's way up his cheeks, "We've perhaps spent too much time together huh?"

"Never," a gentle word brimming with warmth as she took a breather, sharing in his content expression.

He let out an amused sigh, "Forward it is then, our hopes ride on the edge of tomorrow after all." The squirrel's eyes hardened again after a short pause as the severity returned to his voice, "Let's finish taking back our home."

Vatra's ears perked up, but she didn't say anything. "Our home," was it silly of her to find so much peace in just two simple words? Even amidst the turmoil, in all of her readiness, she couldn't drop the smile, she had her answer, "No, no it's not."

Carnage, it was inescapable, and it wasn't going their way. Jantar had managed to snake her way out the door, but found no avenue of escape. She cursed her prior ignorance, bemoaning the past warning signs she had failed to see. The truth was they'd been losing for awhile already, Raphael had been driven, passionate even, but he lacked experience in leadership. The unpleasant feeling of helplessness rested it's weary weight on the vixen's shoulders. The battle seemed to find it's cadence, and as the situation became easier to gauge, Jantar caught a glimpse of one of the black squirrels. "One of the ringleaders," she hissed to herself, now finding more interest in spite than in a hopeless search for escape. She inched forward, drawing a blow pipe and watching as the squirrel's javelin erupted out of a rat's back. A dart sailed on the malicious breath of the fox, sickeningly precise, but when she rose, it was not satisfaction that played across her face. The other one, the slayer of a champion stood in her way. His eyes were cold, but not dead like before, nay, the gaze that froze her in place was sharp, alive, daring her to try again. The dart had certainly landed, her adversary had to know this... yet, he did not worry. Jantar dared not try her luck again, disinterested in such a brazen challenge. She didn't have long to wait beyond that moment either, not a half of an hour had passed before weapons were thrown to the ground along with the groveling bodies of their owners.

Hundreds lay dead in the grass, but no more. The winter was past, and spring bore the final victory for the woodlanders of Redwall. Cheers shook the walls down to their foundations, crowding out the sobs of grieving friends, for the blood on the ground did not discriminate from whom it had been produced. Loss held out no mercy for the living, having blown it's way through all present. Ervoyce surveyed the results from a kneeling position, his previous duel now completely wiped away by a tide of blood. A pair of tears welled in his eyes as he looked on his friends, the brothers, Arya, Vatra, all were alive and... well enough. His smile wrinkled, "Now, what to tell Vatra?" his vision started to cloud as he was about to pull out the dart, barely managing to succeed in this simple task before collapsing to the ground.

Cornflower MM

Arya breathed a sigh of relief as Vatra joined her, a calmness washing over her as Ervoyce trotted up a moment later. She could still see Bryant and Ushen working together a mere moment away and the squirrel smiled to herself as the sound of Ervoyce and Vatra's banter rose to her ears.

It felt right, in that moment, to be at the side of those Arya held in such high regards, fighting to regain what had been taken from them. Arya felt like she belonged, like she had found something she hadn't even known she was missing. Flashing a smile in response to Ervoyce, she threw herself back into the fight with renewed vigor.

She soon found herself plunging her sword into the side of a rat that had foolishly been attempting to take both Bryant and Ushen on. "Doing alright?" It had been pure chance that led Arya to finish that particular battle, but she was quite grateful for the opportunity to check in with the two she considered to be "her" boys. "As well as can be expected," Ushen answered, taking a moment to gulp down a breath of air as Bryant nodded fervently in agreement. "Good, good."

The trio fought on together for what seemed like both long hours and mere minutes. Then, the battle was won and Arya grabbed on to Ushen with shocked relief, squeezing his arm perhaps too tightly. It was over. She couldn't quite believe it. Things were not going to be quite the same for some time, but it was a start. Her gaze flicked around, trying to find everyone and hoping they were all in one piece, at the very least. It was all she dared hope for. Vatra, where's Vatra? There's Ervoyce, he doesn't look- oh no.

Just as Arya had caught sight of Ervoyce, he toppled over. Bryant leaped forward in a futile attempt to catch the other squirrel's fall but was nowhere near close enough. The thud of Ervoyce hitting the ground was inaudible, thanks to the celebration and mourning of the Redwallers, but Arya flinched all the same as she sprinted to him.

Bryant was kneeling next to their companion, paws almost flailing around as he tried to figure out what to do, and Arya shoved him out of the way and started searching for any signs of life. "Ervoyce? Can you hear me at all? Vatra, we need Vatra, where's Vatra, WE NEED VATRA." Arya hadn't meant to shout but she was starting to panic and her own paws were becoming too shaky to tell anything.

Not Ervoyce, Vatra needs him, and I can't lose someone else. I can't, not after Zanga, this can't be happening. Her thoughts were swirling around and around, far too fast, and she couldn't help but let out a choked sob. She threw herself back and away; she wasn't able to help Ervoyce like this, she would only get in the way of those who could. Tears clouded her vision as she registered Bryant standing and Ushen's presence moving closer. "It's okay, he's still breathing, it'll be okay," Ushen murmured and all Arya could do was nod.

Dannflower Reguba

OOC:
Spoiler
I often write whilst listening to music, and this track just fit too darn well, and is also the inspiration for why I tried to stick with Vatra's perspective as much as possible instead of switching between them. Figured I'd offer the track here in case anybeast reading felt like listening at the same time.
[close]
BIC:

Vatra and Ervoyce had been together for the majority of the conflict, though the squirrelmaid now found herself panting alone. It could only have been a couple of minutes since she'd seen him last, and thought better of putting too much stock in worrying. She was assisting a wounded mouse to his feet when Arya's call shattered her disciplined calm, there was but one reason that her friend would scream her name in such a way right now. The sudden, dreadful chill was soon followed by the drop of her heart at the sight ahead. Moisture quickly pooled in her eyes as they desperately tried to blink the tears away, fighting the onset of panic. On her way to his side, however, she was only to have her hopes dashed... there, in his palm, was the dart. Barely managing to reach his side, Vatra fell to her knees on his right side, "... Er..Eh..... Ervoyce?" she reached under him and supported his back and neck while raising him from the ground, "Please.... you have to come back!... I can't do this again, n-not alone!" A gentle, almost timid paw caressed the side of her head, thumb softly rubbing against her cheek as Ervoyce's eyes slit open. Reaching across with her own hand, she held his, tilting her head into it as if to extract as much from the feeling as was available, trying to hold onto the moment, lest the next come to pass.

Tears welled up in Ervoyce's eyes, further shifting Vatra's emotions out of check as fear's grip tightened maliciously. She kept trying to push the dart in his other hand from her mind, but it sat there mockingly, oozing disdain.

"Vatra."

Instantly reigned in by his voice, she offered a meek, "Yes?" in response

With a wince, he was clearly forcing his eyes open, allowing their gazes to meet in spite of the many drops impeding both of them, "Vatra... I'm sorry."

She cut him off, "Ervoyce, you have nothing to apolo-!"

"Stop! This is no time for.... there is no time for objections.... Please, just listen...." A smile spread across his weathered face, "Because I'm so proud of you, and I was lucky to be yours." He continued after a quick coughing fit, "I'm sorry I couldn't be here sooner... That it took us so long to meet. I'm sorry that it took even longer still to show you the truth... That I couldn't even be bothered to trust you with the same things I asked you to trust me with," He laughed sadly, "Who knows, maybe things would be different today if I'd let you sort me out sooner.." The dart rolled off of his left hand as it slowly reached around, managing to catch hold of his dropped sword, pulling the hilt up to his heart. Yet, the effort to maintain control was but in vain as he spluttered through his sobs, "I'm sorry because it isn't fair! I'm sorry about the burdens we can't lighten, the laughs we can't share, the fish we can't go see!.... I'm sorry..... Call it selfish, but I'd rather die a thousand deaths than give up my time with you!.. And that's why-" With a lurch that caught her by surprise, Ervoyce had managed to drop the sword and get his left paw under Vatra's arm and up on her shoulder, "IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT! Don't you dare think otherwise! We both suffered long enough from nothing more than our own shame!..... Don't you dare go back! There are too many beasts who depend on you here! Too much life to waste your own! I'm sorry I'm going where you can't follow, I ask that you be patient, don't seek me out... Our time will come again... Kawalan." Her heart stopped... his voice... it was getting quieter. Slipping slowly out of their fading grips, he tried to finish before he hit the ground, "... I'm... I'm sorry you were born soooo so strong.... Please kno-

WHUMP

"..................... Know, that I will always Love you... Don't follow me... don't follow.... me..."

Before she could get anything out... it was over. The tender paw slid off Vatra's cheek to land lopsided in the ground-up dirt and bloody grass. His eyes were closing slowly as one, last smile looked back at her... So hopeful, so alive, so... sad. She watched, helpless as his chest deflated, as the light faded from his still blood-crusted eyes... completely, utterly, motionless. For the first time in her life, all that she wanted was for the red haze to descend, but even this curse betrayed her. All she wanted in this moment was to stop, to stop everything, but especially feeling. Yet all she could do was feel, the weight, the cold, the despair. Heart now racing, and breath convulsing, she could do but one thing. Long, loud, her scream pierced the sky itself, a single, emphatic statement of grief that the world itself could offer no answer to. She choked on the air as it came in, coughs shaking some of the water out of her soaked face. Down on both knees, it was all she could do to slouch there, crying yet again for the losses that never seemed to stop. Several minutes passed, many had come to wonder if the price of victory was worth paying. Vatra quickly rose and darted away, not listening, not thinking, just sprinting around the Abbey. Turning a corner, and darting across the open ground, she fell flat, feeling almost paralyzed. It was like all life had seeped from her, the pond's cold embrace a mere few paces away, taunting her with the relief she so desperately sought. Betrayed by her heart, betrayed by her rage, betrayed by her body, she desperately clawed towards the water, but gained no ground. She was left with nothing but the dirt to weep against.

Jantar had stayed low during the entire debacle, getting even lower as the vermin were rounded up together. "Vixen." The voices of badgers were hard to confuse.

Cornflower MM

Arya had moved further away from Ervoyce as Vatra appeared, knowing that the moment to follow was not hers to share. Pulling her knees into her shaking chest, Arya hung her head and sobbed. Let it be a dream, oh please let it be a dream. The same thought repeated over and over as she shivered, knowing all too well that there was to be no waking up from this nightmare within the celebration. Ervoyce had been the warm and steady presence that she had needed after Zanga's death and now he too had been stolen from her and Arya simply didn't know how to cope.

She looked up just in time to see Ervoyce fall from Vatra's grasp and her breath caught in her throat as she flinched away. Ushen and Byant's concerned voices barely registered as background noise as Arya stared somewhere, anywhere else as if ignoring the farewell happening a mere few paces away would make it disappear. Her gaze caught on her paws and she shuddered, remembering an incident that had happened only a few days before.

"Anytime I hold my sword, which is often..... It'll be like I'm still squeezing your paw. I can't possibly let you go now."

Arya's world, so recently only starting the first healing processes, had been ripped apart once more in a matter of moments. It was supposed to be a day of celebration, they had finally retaken the Abbey, but now..... now all she wanted to do was hide from the pain of knowing not just one, but two of her closest friends were gone.

Ushen knelt down next to Arya, his face clearly lined with worry. "Arya? Answer me, Arya, please, I need to know if you're okay." It took a moment for her to finally understand what he was saying and she flung herself into his arms, almost knocking both of them over - it was clear Arya needed the comfort and he squeezed her almost too tightly.

Vatra's scream took them all off guard, the pure anguish that ripped from her throat plainly able to be heard. "Vatra wait-" Bryant called as she rose a few moments later and ran, although it was clear he wasn't heard. Bryant glanced down at Arya and Ushen before moving to stand and follow. The other two didn't register his missing presence, one too wrapped up in her thoughts and the other trying to calm her down.

It took Bryant a few minutes to figure out where Vatra had gone, especially since he was far from familiar with the Abbey grounds, but he passed by the pond eventually and saw her figure lying on the ground, the grass torn up in the surrounding area. It was a terrible picture, full of grief, yet Bryant hesitated to go comfort her. Some things needed to be worked through and processed while alone, and the thought of interrupting Vatra's initial mourning didn't sit well with him.

Dannflower Reguba

Gray.... froth? mist? Was it even gray? There appeared to be some ambient light, yet everything seemed shadowed. Ervoyce waved his paw in front of his face, smoke maybe? No, not thick enough, then again, did this stuff have mass at all? After playing around with the little puffs for a moment, he spotted a figure through the swirls. He gave a sad smile to the hidden form, he didn't kid himself about what was going on, "Alec I take it?" His voice sounded almost, whispy, slightly more so than the chuckle he got in response.

"She's a real kicker ain't she?"

The black squirrel's voice trembled as he tried to share the other's enthusiasm, "..... Yes.... yes she is."

An audible thud could be heard as Jantar's body hit the ground next to her victim after having been thrown, "What do ye want Stripes?! E'S DEAD!" The crunch of Gale's axe handle silenced the seer, "For one who deals in bones, you know little of their progenitor." The fox gulped as his eyes blazed in anger, not for her deed, but her incompetence, "I've seen warriors rise for little more than spite... Who has a greater reason than he?" She turned to look again at Ervoyce, the one whom the badgers claw pointed at. Turning back the vixen hissed, albeit, quietly, "Even if he were to come back, he wouldn't be the same!"

"I'll take time's revelations over your prophecies witch."

"And what? You want me to conjure up the cure, just like that?

"You expect me to believe there's a poisoner foolish enough to not have the remedy on their person?"

Jantar grimaced, this leader was not like others. He possessed both might and intellect, a realization that made her attempt to remember when he'd started looking for her, but he'd been so quick. She sneered, but turned around, vial in hand. A few more taps of the wooden handle served as one more firm reminder of the foxes position as she administered the liquid. Turning to go, she offered one last retort, "Many thanks for wasting my-" A quick glance was plenty to cause a reconsideration of words, choosing instead to simply line up with notable swiftness. Several minutes passed, and the squirrel's body lay inert as it had been. Gale closed his eyes, breath heavy.

"Introductions or tour? We can't be the only one's hanging around I'm sure, then again does the word 'here' even apply anymore?" More chuckling followed Ervoyce's question. He sighed, "I suppose I should introduce myself first aye? Name's Ervoyce." Offering a paw in greeting, he was firmly met by Alec's own squeeze, confident and strong, as any handshake should be.

"I'm sure you've garnered quite the grand tale, from what I've managed to gather at least."

"I imagine yours couldn't be too far behind, given your choice of traveling companion... She has that effect on things."

"And is she content?"

Dark brows raised in questioning, "I'm sorry?" A paw to the chest stopped the squirrel from approaching further.

"Vatra, is she content? Or perhaps.... Are you content with how you left her?" The wrinkled face he received in answer proved a strong testimony. "Then you do not belong, your old self remains, even if by the tiniest margin.... Go, and don't return until that stench of regret is gone."

Before Ervoyce could object, he felt the gray around him whizz by, a push? a throw? His vision went black once more before an un-earthly impact. He felt sore, tight, and found it difficult to breath... Was he bleeding? Perhaps a bit, but at least he could feel something akin to the ground again, the spacey nature of things was fairly unnerving, but at least the grass felt a little soothing... Grass?... The thought came both like and with a strained breath of fresh air. Efforts to open his eyes proved to be... tricky, when they'd even been closed he had no idea. Finally managing to pry them open, he was greeted not by unending gray, but by-"Enjoy your nap?" That voice belonged to..... Gale. The squirrel was lost for words, the sun was shining, the ground was real, and he felt absolutely awful. The badger looked down on him, a half grin, distantly related to a smirk adorned his mug, "The pour lass's been trying to wake your lazy hide, thought you might need a bit more coercion." This pain he felt... it was the pain of living. Face long dry, now wet by new tears for yet another chance gifted to him by fate and a good friend. His throat felt as terrible as the rest of him, but he'd had far too much time already to hear the grief around him, and after a brief struggle, managed a croak, "Ooooi, is that Arya? Now listen 'ere, just 'cuz I went and took a break from breathin' doesn't mean it's the greatest idea per se." Head now tilted, he could see his friend, it pained him to see the anguish he'd caused... but it needn't last, and such was the source of an unexpected joy... He was alive!

OOC: HAHA! And all two people that read this actually thought he was dead!  >:D I Love my job.

Cornflower MM

Arya didn't dare believe her ears. It sounded like Ervoyce, but it couldn't be, it wasn't possible... Was it? Her head swiveled to see almost without her consent. She didn't know if she quite wanted to look, wanted to hope for the impossible, even if Ushen's gasp and frozen form encouraged that small spark of hope.

"Ervoyce?" It came out not much louder than a whisper as Arya stared back at her friend for a mere moment before launching herself across the small distance at him, sending Ushen flying back onto his rump as his grip around her slackened with another, much louder cry, "ERVOYCE!"

"How-you were-we thought-what?" Arya babbled, tears flowing from her eyes for a much different reason now as she effectively squashed the other squirrel. The joyous relief flowing though her veins was so strong Arya nearly missed Ervoyce's flinch as she squeezed him tightly in a hug. "Oh! I'm so sorry!" She yelped, scrambling backwards and letting go so he could have some space to breath.

Ushen moved to kneel by the other two, his face furrowed with confusion. "Are you... Okay?" He hesitated to ask - Ervoyce had just seemingly come back to life and had been very much not okay twenty minutes ago, but he couldn't make sense of it and wanted to make sure he wasn't going to die again within moments. Even though Ushen's connection to Ervoyce was much less than that of the others', he wasn't sure any of them would be able to bear that.

Dannflower Reguba

"Ow ow, ow!" Ervoyce's smile went crooked with the feeling of being crushed, "Well about as good as can be expected when your lungs are being pressed to half their size." Having sufficiently teased his friend for the moment, he took the question more seriously, "Death is a fickle thing Ushen, sometimes he gets in an argument with fate, and one of us gets caught up in their squabble... 'Least that's how the story goes where I'm from. Simply put, it isn't as plain to see as we often think, but that's all we really know yet."  He reached up slowly to rub Arya's shoulder, though it was almost pulling with how poorly he was able to support his own arm, "Sorry about the drama, I didn't mean to hurt you... But it was either that or-" his face contorted once more, "... Or watch the same thing happen to Vatra." Faced with the sudden realization, Ervoyce's gaze flicked around, "Speaking of which, where is she? Is she alright?" The foolishness of the question hit him almost immediately, "Of course she isn't, idiot."

Cornflower MM

Arya reached to grasp at Ervoyce's paw, still reveling in the fact that he was here and alive. "Apology more than accepted, we understand. Vatra went.... Somewhere." Her brow furrowed, trying to remember which way the other squirrelmaid had gone. Truthfully, she'd been trying not to pay attention.
"But Bryant went after her, he wouldn't let her do anything stupid. Do you want us to bring her back here to you or would you rather we helped you find her?" Ushen interjected, glancing between the two.

Dannflower Reguba

Spying Vatra's javelin not far off, Ervoyce made his request, "It'd be best if we went to her, there's too much happening around here at the moment... I need a bit more time first though, legs aren't cooperating." After a quick point to the weapon he'd identified earlier, and a moment to rest and think, he spoke again, "Actually, I don't think it will take much searching... Pretty sure I know where she is." Worry creased his brow, "The pond, let's head to the pond.... and I sure hope you're right about Bryant."