News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Brian Jacques Day 2015 Discussion Topic

Started by James Gryphon, February 05, 2015, 05:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

In honor of Brian Jacques' passing and legacy, please share memories about how Mr. Jacques has inspired you to use your imagination. This can include stories or games that you made up for yourself, songs, art, fan fiction, other writings -- as long as he had something to do with it, feel free to put it up here. Then, take a look at the Brian Jacques Day Memorial Feast here in the Cellars.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Brian has been my inspiration for many of my writings, including a book that I might even publish. If it weren't for his stories, I would not be the artist I am today.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Mhera

"The gates of Redwall are ever open to all our good friends!"

Not only did Brian create a world, but he invited readers to be in it. Redwall has been a default destination for my mind ever since I first picked it up, and it's a place I revisit often, both through rereading the books and creating new tales in my head. There are lots of books and stories I've outgrown or lost interest in, but I don't believe anything Redwall will ever be counted in those pitiful ranks.

And on another note, Jacques writing style has both influenced and spoiled me a bit. A lot of books seem to use writing as nothing more than conveying a plot. With Redwall the actual mechanics (the accents, vocabulary, descriptions, etc.) that didn't have to be there but were opened my eyes to just how good a well written story can be.

Matthias720

Quote from: Mhera on February 05, 2015, 06:44:01 PM
Not only did Brian create a world, but he invited readers to be in it. Redwall has been a default destination for my mind ever since I first picked it up, And on another note, Jacques writing style has both influenced and spoiled me a bit. A lot of books seem to use writing as nothing more than conveying a plot. With Redwall the actual mechanics (the accents, vocabulary, descriptions, etc.) that didn't have to be there but were opened my eyes to just how good a well written story can be.
This is so true. What draws so many people to his work is the fastidious descriptions of the entire world he made. You cannot help but become immersed in the tales he wove, losing touch with your own reality, while coming closer to his. This is why I think his legacy will live on, and why I will always come back to the series and read them for the 10,000th time.

Hickory

Agreed. Reading the series opened up new ideas for me, allowing the writing of fanfics, blogs, and random pieces much easier when I did them.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dawnwing

Quote from: Mhera on February 05, 2015, 06:44:01 PM
And on another note, Jacques writing style has both influenced and spoiled me a bit. A lot of books seem to use writing as nothing more than conveying a plot. With Redwall the actual mechanics (the accents, vocabulary, descriptions, etc.) that didn't have to be there but were opened my eyes to just how good a well written story can be.

I agree with this.  It was in the audiobooks that I first started noticing this in particular, and I try to keep things like that in my mind whenever I write.

I plan to listen to the audiobooks next month when I get my laser eye surgery: for the first day or so I'm not supposed to be reading or using a computer or anything, so I shall spend it in bed listening to one of the books and visiting Redwall in my mind.

Eulaliaaa!

Brian Jacques has been such an inspiration to me, and I simply cannot read enough Redwall. I love his writing style, and often find other books very boring. He has inspired me to start writing, and I'm actually in the middle of writing a book that I hope to publish one day. He has created a world, and I'm sucked into it by his amazing way of painting a picture with words, making suspenseful moments, and bringing a tear to my eye. I am in love with Redwall, and can't help but visit that world, every now and then when I shouldn't be, like in a very boring class...  ;) 
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Wot, wot!

Brian Jacques was an amazing author and a great person. He has inspired me in so many ways, both from his writing as well as everything he did. Brian created the most amazing place that feels so safe and welcoming no matter where you read it. :)
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

Russano the Wise

Every since I discovered the Redwall books 5-6 years ago (maybe more) I have loved Brian Jacques's incredible writing. His books continually engage my imagination with his wonderful descriptions of the feasts, characters, and places. I love to look at my bookshelf and see my ever-growing collection of Redwall books, each one holding an amazing adventure inside. His writing and storytelling is always inspiring me to continue with and improve my Redwall art. Brian Jacques created a unique and fascinating world when he wrote the first Redwall book, and I hope this series continues and inspire and amaze people for many years to come. 
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Captain Tammo

I never thought that it was possible to paint a picture with words until I read one of Brian Jacques' books. Where other authors create a story, Mr. Jacques gives an experience.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Banya

Well said, Tammo.  At that he was the best.
My mother says I used to write endings to the Redwall stories that went beyond the end of each book, though I don't remember this.  I do know that I have Brian Jacques to thank for my interest in writing, my love of reading, and my vocabulary, because his books truly have the greatest vocabulary of any books I grew up with.  He was skilled at bringing his characters and landscapes to life.  I love the world he gave us.

Izeroth

Some people hate the accents, but I love them. They're realistic (seriously, vermin ruffians wouldn't talk like English students), and they add some humor to the story, with great lines such as "Git back 'ere, idjit!"

Skyblade

As many have said before me, Brian Jacques was very creative (duh) and an amazing writer (even more duh). I believe one of the reasons I liked his books so much is that he really made a new and engaging universe.

I am still stunned that a person can be so original. The accents, food, regions...list goes on and on, you know. And, of course, the many songs and poems. Not to mention names to fit characters both major and minor for a series of 22 books.

In short, Brian Jacques did his best, and he was indeed amazing. Kudos to him. He will live on for a very long time.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Summer Tleo

I Just started Reading his Books! Great Author!