Tweaks & Changes (1/15/2021)

Started by James Gryphon, January 15, 2021, 07:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

We still intend to perform a conversion/upgrade when it is the right time, but circumstances have persuaded me that it might be better to take our time on this and focus on fixing the forum's current problems in the meantime.

That being the case, here's some of the changes and modifications that have been made recently. Some are bug-fixing, others are improvements I made for the conversion effort that we're now rolling into this one.

Bug fixes/things removed for technical reasons:
* ) Post Anonymously In Topic mod removed.
* ) Searching in PMs should now work better than it has in times past.
* ) General improvements and tweaks made to improve PHP 7.2+ support and/or reduce the number of errors being tossed.

Other changes:
* ) Staff ranks have been changed a little bit. In times past, we had Administrators > Global Moderators > Local Moderators. Local Moderators, however, were often not really 'local' (that is, only responsible for moderating certain areas), but had global powers. The new system is split up like so: Administrators > Moderators > Operators > Local Operators. Admins remain admins, Moderators are the same as the old Global Moderators, Operators have the ability to moderate every forum, and Local Operators can only moderate the forums they are responsible for. This is not a change in the actual organization of the staff, but it should help make things more clear what that organization is.
* ) SMF has always supported table tags, but they didn't display well before. Now new table decorations are included with each theme, to make sure they show up as tables.

AgeNameJob
25JimDelivery Worker
31JoeManager
28JaneAccountant

(You might have to hard-refresh the page to get the new stylesheets.)

* ) I changed a certain BBCode in a way that I expect most of you will be aware of very soon.

* ) Possibly other minor changes that slip my mind.

Thanks for bearing with me, and for continuing to be a part of the community!
« Subject to editing »