News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Bible Reading

Started by Icefire, March 16, 2012, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What version do you use?

21st Century King James Version
1 (5.3%)
American Standard Version
0 (0%)
Amplified Bible
0 (0%)
Common English Bible
0 (0%)
Contemporary English Version
0 (0%)
Darby Translation
0 (0%)
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition
1 (5.3%)
Easy-to-Read Version
0 (0%)
English Standard Version
4 (21.1%)
God's Word Translation
0 (0%)
Good News Translation
0 (0%)
Holman Christian Standard Bible
2 (10.5%)
J.B. Phillips New Testament
0 (0%)
King James Version
6 (31.6%)
Lexham English Bible
0 (0%)
New American Standard Bible
6 (31.6%)
New Century Bible
0 (0%)
New International Reader's Version
0 (0%)
New International Version
4 (21.1%)
New King James Version
2 (10.5%)
New Life Version
0 (0%)
New Living Translation
1 (5.3%)
The Message
1 (5.3%)
Today's New International Version
0 (0%)
World English (New Testament)
0 (0%)
Wycliffe Bible
0 (0%)
Young's Literal Translation
0 (0%)
1599 Geneva translation
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Nightfire

I use a 1611 King James Version, and it's written in really, really olde English. But I honestly don't see why we have to talk about what version we use. As long as we're learning from it, then that's all that matters.

And I'm still of First Samuel.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Icefire

Quote from: Nightfire on April 02, 2012, 04:35:23 PM
I use a 1611 King James Version, and it's written in really, really olde English. But I honestly don't see why we have to talk about what version we use. As long as we're learning from it, then that's all that matters.

And I'm still of First Samuel.
Thank you! I'm thinking that if we get to version focused I'll take down the poll.
I'm still in 1 Chronicles. I found yet another example of how serious God takes sin. Take a look at what happened to Saul when he broke the covenant.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Nightfire

Yeah. And I think the poll should be taken down in a way, because it does seem to be getting version-focused.

I think all of our government problems first started when Israel demanded a king from God. Before then, everything was fine. And one of my favorite books in the Bible is Job, because it talks about the behemoth, unicorn, and fire-breathing leviathan. And yes, unicorns really exist; they just aren't dainty white horses. Evidence shows that they were most likely a type of rhinoceros. Genesis is awesome.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Coobreedan

I've just started reading it. I am reading Matthew in a youth Bible because I was told to read the New Testament first.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

MatthiasMan

Reading the Bible is fun. We do it at religion class at St. Andrews.

Icefire

Quote from: Coobreedan on April 12, 2012, 08:40:58 PM
I've just started reading it. I am reading Matthew in a youth Bible because I was told to read the New Testament first.
Yes, I've heard that before, too. That's because most people find the old testament "boring".  :P I enjoy the old testament, but I know a lot of people who don't. Let's keep reading and learning from the NT, but let's not forget the OT in the process.

MatthiasMan

the Old Testament is AWESOME! Love reading it.

Nightfire

Quote from: Icefire on April 13, 2012, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: Coobreedan on April 12, 2012, 08:40:58 PM
Yes, I've heard that before, too. That's because most people find the old testament "boring".  :P I enjoy the old testament, but I know a lot of people who don't. Let's keep reading and learning from the NT, but let's not forget the OT in the process.

The only reason that people say it's best to read the New Testament first is because the message of salvation is considered a little more important than the message of creation. Both are awesome, but it's sometimes best if people hear about salavation first.

Icefire

So, in church we've been studying the book of John and I decided to read it through over and over until we finish.
I just recently read John 5. This is convicting, check it out:

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life." - John 5:39-40
So, Christians, why are we studying? Are we studying the scriptures for the sake of studying and totally missing the Subject of scripture?
Just something to keep in mind...

Redwallfan7

In my church we're on chapter 4 or 5 in Revelation
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Nightfire

In my church we just finished going over the armor of God to defend against the fiery darts of the Enemy.

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your waist girt about with the belt of truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance

Such an epic section of Ephesians!!!! ;D