The Forbidden Tales (Chapter 7 Full chapter - Yogroth's Identity - 9/25/11)

Started by AakashB, June 30, 2011, 04:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AakashB

Reader's Note

Thank you for reading 'The Forbidden Tales'. This is my first ever fan-fiction story so please don't hesitate to criticize or correct me. And most of all enjoy the story. A new chapter will be available every week. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue

It was a moonless and stormy night in the vast land of Mossflower. Lightning pierced the sky and threatened to strike earth with all its fury. Rain pelted down with a barbaric force, flattening everything in its path. In this chaotic weather, every living thing was forced to take shelter. The creatures of Mossflower reveled deep in slumber, letting their minds roam free in dreamlands far and wide. The entire land seemed to be asleep, unaware of one unexpected guest, who had reached this land by the sea.

Yogroth, as he was called, had a very strange attitude. Some said this creature could see the future, and others even believed he could change it. His every move was precise and every motive unnaturally successful. Yet no one knew what he actually was. His light-hooded cloak always enveloped his lean and tall body. A face mask covered all facial features. Even his paws were covered by full gloves. Mentally he was just as mysterious. Not a single word left his mouth unless completely necessary. If he did talk, his monotone voice betrayed no emotions. Now this peculiar creature was in Mossflower, coming from someplace far away in the seas, and heading to someplace only his mind knew.

He walked in long, confident strides along the coast. His legs moved in perfect timing.

CHEECK CHEECK CHEECK

His long boots sloshed through the wet sand. Producing a bamboo stick from his side, he used it to aid his walking. The rain beat on unmercifully, and the waves got rougher near the coastline. Yogroth however had no intention of stopping. He marched along for about an hour, relentlessly and unchanging. He suddenly stopped when he spotted a fire in the distance. He slowed his pace, and crouched to take a better look. He could mark out three figures sitting around the fire underneath some sort of hut. Moving higher up the coast into dry sand, he stealthily began running into that direction.

Three hares sat in their very own tent which was made of thick branches and torn up haversacks. It was raining hard, yet the tent held up quite well. All three lay near the campfire which was in the center of the tent, dazing off on full stomachs. Scraps of what had been a superfluous dinner lay on the sand. The fire had begun burning low and the hares' eyes began drooping.

"Think we'll make it to Salamandastron tomorrow?" asked one hare called Vauz.

"I'm sure we will mate, it's only about half a days march, wot." said Haze.

"Will you keep your gobs shut, it's hard catching a few winks with your gibbering and a bursting tummy to boot!" said the young Norer.

Silence fell, and all closed their eyes. The constant sound of waves soon lulled all hares to sleep.

WOOSH! The campfire was extinguished in a mass of sand. All three hares immediately woke up, Vauz being the first to gain his senses. Looking around, he could hardly make out anything in the dark night. Reaching for a sword, Vauz got up and called out loud, "Who's there!"

There wasn't a reply. Vauz frantically rubbed his eyes, trying to gain some view of the scene. A large lighting bolt pierced the sky, illuminating the beach for a second. Vauz stared in terror as he saw a figure in front of him. By now Haze and Norer were up as well, both of whom were frightened. Vauz's voice was shrill with terror when he shouted, "Who are you!"

There was still no reply, but he could slightly make out the figure in the darkness. It began moving in his direction. Vauz raised his sword and made a feeble attempt to look brave. A sound as dry and gritty as the sand they stood on, spoke out.

"Don't be afraid Mister Vauz. I'm only here to seek your help."

"How do you know my name?" Vauz replied, trembling and still clutching the sword in both paws. The figure stood a few feet from the camp.

"That doesn't matter. What does matter is that I find what I'm looking for. I'm sure you've heard of 'Death Mountain'?" replied the illusive figure.

"You mean Salamandastron?" Norer said, to her own surprise.

"Ah, so you do know. Your help should be critical then, at least for the time being." Said the figure and produced something from his cloak.

Vauz circled the figure and boldly asked, "You know my name, but what's yours?"

The figure turned his head and said "My name is Yogroth"

Another, larger lightning bolt pierced the sky. The three hares took a good look at Yogroth. He was a large beast, but they couldn't discern what he was. His large cloak was deep red, covered in stripes of orange. A belt of iron clenched at his stomach. His paws were sheltered by thick gloves. Yet the most dreadful feature was his mask, half white, half black, with two slits for eyes, and a grill for the mouth. His eyes were most strange, large and red in color. When he stood still, he looked like a lifeless statue. He wielded a wooden stick in his hand, and walked to Haze and Norer. They stood, rigid with horror.

Dumbfounded, Vauz asked "What are you do..."

CRACK

Both hares fell to the ground, knocked cold. Yogroth turned around and spoke calmly to Vauz.

"Bamboo, silent and strong, works without flaw every time."

Fear fell on the lone hare, as he looked at the unconscious bodies of his friends. His muddled mind could not take in what had happened. Courageously he shouted "Eulaliaaaaaa!" and lunged for Yogroth.

Sidestepping calmly, Yogroth tripped the charging hare. Jumping on his back, he grabbed Vauz's arm.

"You've asked for this Mister Vauz" Yogroth twisted Vauz's arm brutally. His cries rang loud, yet no one was there to answer them. Yogroth twisted it further and further, until a painfully loud crack was heard. Vauz dropped the sword on the ground.

He groaned loudly, still trying to wrestle of Yogroth. Yet Yogroth twisted on and on, as muscles and bones gave way. The pain was so intense, that Vauz passed out.

Gently rising from the twisted body, Yogroth fixed his cloak. His face showed no emotion, as he brought together the three hares and tied them together with rope. He sat down near the shore, drenched with rain and waited for morning to arrive, looking into the direction of Salamandastron.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

The previous night's storm had cleared to a wonderful day. The sun was slowly rising, and the ocean was enveloped in a thick fog. The glorious Salamandastron grew right out of the land, a mark of nature's brilliance. It also symbolized the protection it and its inhabitants provided to the immense land of Mossflower. The peaceful scene was disturbed by two running hares, who sped full speed into the mountain.

The Long Patrol's scouts had returned from their biannual march around Mossflower. Dorsey and Cyru, the twin sisters, came blazing through the entrance and jumped two steps at a time up the stairs. As soon as they reached the mess hall, they immediately went up to Captain John Whurple Haissez Burge, their commanding officer.

He was a renounced fighter of the Long Patrol, thanks to his cunning wits and unmistakable war tactics. Even the Badger Lord took his advice before setting on a mission. He always wore his war tunic, adorned with medals from his years in command. He was having breakfast when he saw the two approaching.

The captain started, "Cyru and Dorsey, back alread..."

Both immediately started to speak, "We...huh-huh...saw them...huh-huh...in..."

"Catch some air lass's, you've come a long way. Eh, Marcus bring these two some cold water, help wet their gullets." the captain said, motioning the two to sit down.

As soon as they took a long drink, Dorsey explained,

"We were followin' our route sah, as usual, mapping out northward."

"And after finishing up that area, we decided to head to the Redwall abbey, make sure every thing's ship shape, and of course replenish our supplies and all" Cyru finished. Dorsey gulped down some more water before continuing.

"When were heading down the main road, we heard some noises. At first it wasn't much and we didn't care, but as we went further the noises got louder and louder. Me and Cyru decided to camouflage ourselves, went into the tall grass on our stomachs, moving up criss-cross style, wot. And you won't believe what we saw!"

"There were a thousand vermin or more, sitting right in the middle of the bloomin' path. They ran up so far in the path, my peepers couldn't see the entire flippin' lot!"

As Cyru ended, a hush fell over the lunch room. Cpt. Burge looked grim, he asked,

"A thousand...are you sure it wasn't your mind playing tricks? What kind of vermin were they?"

Cyru replied with a look of yearning on her face,

"I swear on me mummy, I couldn't believe it at first either. There were all sorts of vermin, weasels stoats, foxes, rats, and the like. It was dreadful!"

Dorsey took Burge's arm and pleadingly said,

"We're not lying, and if we don't act fast, who knows what kind of havoc they will wreck."

Burge looked into Dorsey's eyes and saw that she wasn't making up the story. He believed her, but had trouble thinking of a thousand vermin. The most he remembered fighting was in 'the Battle of the Gorge', when their fifty hare unit took on the three hundred vermin single handedly. He rose from the table and walked to the door. Turning around, he said out loud to everyone in the room,

"Well lads, we've got a situation here. And by the sound of it, it isn't pretty. I'd finish up breakfast soon, and get ready to march. I'll go and talk to Lord Seaburn about this. Cyru and Dorsey come with me."

There was hustle around the room, as it erupted into chatter and whispers. The young and the old conversed loudly about what they had just heard. The youthful were excited and eager, and the older ones were in disbelief and uneasiness. Burge and the sisters exited and went up using the roundabout stairs to Lord Seaburn's personal quarters.

"Seaburn!" Burge shouted upon reaching the door, "Seaburn, where are you? Our runners got some important information, wot!"

The three walked into the room, yet Lord Seaburn was not there. Cyru and Dorsey had never been here before, and looked around Seaburn's personal room in awe. It was adorned with weapons of different kinds hanging on the walls, including those of previous Badger rulers. The walls were smooth along the edges and supported with oak beams. A massive bed lay in the corner, overlooking a giant window. The three walked to the window and looked at the scene below.

Down on the beach, at the base of the mountain was Lord Seaburn, the Mountain Ruler. He was slightly smaller than most badger lords, but a lot more agile. His smaller frame was packed with bulging muscles and throbbing veins. His silver furred body was outlined in bright red paint, and shining light body armor. He didn't wear a helmet, so his intense red eyes stood out like an inferno. He held two curved swords, forged meticulously by himself over two years. Produced from the strongest of steel, they were known as the 'Blades of Bedlam'. The cross-guard hilt was made of silver with an embedded ruby, and polished to perfection. Each blade was attached to a chain, which in turn was wrapped around his massive hand. They caused chaos in close proximity, and even more devastation when he swung them using the chains into a wider arc.

This is how Seaburn liked to go into battle, bright as the sun with blades blazing so the enemy could immediately set eyes on him and tremble in fear; so the name. Yet something was quite strange about this badger lord. He did not suffer from bloodwrath like most of his predecessors did, and was thus able to maintain composure during the heat of battle. Seaburn however saw this as curse rather than a boon, and made up for the loss of raw, ferocious power in bloodwrath by training hard every day to improve his skill and stamina. For two hours in the morning he would train like a madbeast without rest, and it truly paid off. He was as nimble as a bee and quick as eagle, precise and strong. There had never been such a disciplined warrior as the leader of Salamandastron.

The twins stared in amazement from the window at how fast the badger was maneuvering. Slicing and dicing thin air with the speed of lightning. Burge however wasn't impressed, and climbed out of the window onto the rocky ledge. Running downhill, he made his way to the beach. He strode confidently into the path of Seaburn.

"Seaburn, I've got grave news."

The badger stopped his practice, and spoke,

"Ah, Captain John Burge, commander of my hares, did they forget to serve your tea with mint again?"

Captain Burge's spoke loudly in full seriousness,

"Actually it's more than that." Burge put his paws behind his back and turned to the sea "They're releasing you from the mountain, saying you're too old, and too fat for service. And it's my job to keep you out from now on."

Burge whirled around and got into his boxing stance, swinging a few warm-up punches, as he circled Seaburn. The badger smiled viciously, almost like a greedy little dibbun. Removing, his two swords, the he began circling Burge as well, saying nonchalantly

"Just like old times, eh John"

Seaburn let out a roar and pounced at the captain. Burge ran straight at him, and at the last second jumped high. Landing on the surprised badger's broad shoulders, he put his arm around his neck and began choking Seaburn. The badger let out another roar, which was cut short by Burge's increasingly tight deadlock. Going rigid, Seaburn dropped on his back, crushing the captain under his own weight. Burge was windless, trying to get up, when he saw the badger swing his sword. The chain it was on arched and the sword breezed by Burge's chin, cutting half the whiskers off his face. Seaburn let out a roar followed by deep laughter,

"I say John Burge, you look better this way"

With a look of indignity on his face, Burge ran straight for the badger. Seaburn threw his sword again, this time lower aiming at the feet, yet Burge nimbly skipped over it. Grabbing the chain of the sword, the captain pulled hard, but to no avail. Seaburn stood perfectly motionless. He simply pulled his arm back, and Burge came flying forward. It seemed as though time had slowed down. Burge was hurtling toward Seaburn, clasped onto the chain, holding out a clenched fist. Before the badger could protect his face, the captain's fist rammed into his snout. He was knocked clean off his feet. Burge stood on top of the badger, rubbing his hand from the pain it had just endured,

"Why, you've fallen asleep, I thought we we're just getting started"

The twins looked in surprise at what they were seeing, and began running downhill to the beach. Burge crouched down to check on Seaburn, seeing if he was unconscious. He put his ear next to the badger's chest, and could hear his thumping heart. Looking at his face, he touched the badger's forehead.

BAAM!

Seaburn's eyes opened. Their fiery red flame seemed to quell as they looked into those of Burge. His mighty paws rose and clasped together around the captain's neck. He turned his body over, and stood on top of Burge, squeezing hard.

"What's wrong captain, why has your face turned the shade of purple? Have been having too many blackcurrant pies?"

The hare tried to free his paws, but Seaburn was too strong. He desperately needed air, so he thought of a plan. Bringing both his feet close to his stomach, Burge launched them at Seaburn chest. The impact was so strong that it catapulted the badger off Burge. Taking this opportunity, Burge took the Blades of Bedlam and unlinked them from the chains that were wrapped around Seaburn's paws. The captain took them and attacked his adversary, digging them into the sand where Seaburn was a few moments before. Burge kept cleaving on and on, but he could not touch the badger. In a final attempt, he threw a sword at Seaburn. The mountain ruler jumped in a somersault and seized the sword from midair, landing right in front of Burge,

"Surrender or die!"

Taking a fighting stance, Burge shouted,

"Never!"

Seaburn took the first swing, which was skillfully deflected by Burge. Turning with all his weight, the badger took a second swing, which ricocheted of the steady paws of the captain. They dueled with such ferocity, that the blades sparked each time they met. It seemed neither would win, when both lunged at each other with incredible power. Their collision sent both blades flying, leaving them on the ground. Both looked at each other keenly, and after a second, they began laughing. Just like the old days.

Both lay on the sand looking at the sea, when Burge turned to his companion and said,

"You've still got it mate, I just wish I was still as strong as I was in my younger seasons." Seaburn picked a pebble and threw it in the ocean,

"Would you trade your wisdom in exchange for strength?"

"Not for the world, I wouldn't! Weren't for my wisdom, I wouldn't be alive and so wouldn't so many others." replied Burge.

By now Cyru and Dorsey had made it to the beach as well. They were well aware of what had taken place, and were rather amused by watching a Captain and Badger Ruler acting like naughty babes. Bidding hello to the Seaburn, they sat beside him. The group looked at the peaceful day and calm sea, enjoying the tranquility. Burge turned to Seaburn and said,

"Now, for the real reason we're here. Dorsey, Cyru"

The sisters related what they had seen near Redwall to the Seaburn, and the day wasn't so jolly anymore.

Chapter 2

The twin bells of the abbey, Matthias and Methuselah, rang out loud and clear, as their sound travelled through the woods of Mossflower country. Redwallers woke to this, pristine sound every morning, whose radiance flowed into their ears like sweet, thick honey around the tongue. It reminded them once again, they lived in Redwall, the place of tranquility, happiness, and joy. It was another summer day, a lot calmer than last night. Some creatures opened the windows throughout the abbey, letting in fresh air, since they were closed tightly shut during the storm. Others went to the Great Hall to break fast. Some even went to the lake for a morning walk. Everyone had woken from their long slumber, all except one. Abbot Sandore.

The great Abbot mole was the first of his kind to lead the abbey. He retired from his 'Foremole' title when he got too old for digging, and was suggested by many to be the new Father Abbot. He accepted after refusing many times, since there were hardly any other creatures better suited for the job.

Since he had taken up the work, he had made an excellent leader after the late Abbot Ravugh. Yet for the past few days he had been very sick, already weak from his old age. To make it worse, his throat was very rash, and mixing that with his mole speech was simply a disaster. He spent the first two days trying to communicate, but all his attempts failed. The third day, he resorted to a piece of chalk and slate to talk to the Infirmary Keeper, known as Sister Daisy, or by her nickname, Lord Vaisy Three-Eyes (Some said her nickname was inspired from a long gone monarch).

She was the most evil, restrictive, and mad mouse healer ever known to Redwall, at least in the Abbot's opinion. It was as if she could see from the back of her head, what creatures were doing. Once the Abbot had tried to sneak a few candied chestnuts from the nearby cabinet, but the Sister caught him, and rapped his hand like a dibbun's. When the Abbot objected to this nature, she snapped back,

"You may be the father of Redwall abbey but I'm the one in charge of the Infirmary."

Another time, the Abbot tried to empty a spoonful of a concoction called by the Sister as, "A mixture of redwood, lake water, grass, chopped ginger, crushed egg shells, and some properly sour wine, called 'Alleviator'." onto a nearby potted plant, when she caught him again. She gave double the dose of the vile tasting substance, and stood there watching until Sandore had licked the spoon clean. It was downright blasphemy, according to him.

And now in the peace and quite, the Abbot was rudely awakened by the sound of someone walking up the steps to the room. Each footstep was a sharp jab of pain to the Abbot's throbbing head. He opened one eye slowly, keeping completely still. The room was brightly lit thanks to the open windows. He heard the bells ring one last time, and sighed. Just another hopeless day, thought Sandore, but at least my throat isn't feeling so bad. Closing his eyes, he pretended to go to sleep. Daisy entered, and without a second of reconciliation, began shouting.

"Abbot Sandore, have you gone deaf? The bells' have been ringing for a while now. Someone like your stature should be up and about, not slacking in bed."

The abbot turned over; rubbing his eyes, he tested his voice,

"Gud monin' to you too miz"

She placed a plate adorned with breakfast on the shelf next to her patient. There was warm toast, cream cheese, boiled eggs diced into fours, an autumn russet apple, and a glass of cordial. Her voice was as nagging as ever,

"Friar Gustov sends his best wishes along with the rest of the abbey. They hope this'll cheer you up"

Abbot Sandore took one look at the plate and immediately got up. Setting his blanket aside, he sat off the bedside. His mouth watered at the sight of real food. Stifling a yawn, he rubbed his paws in anticipation,

"Moi moi, a reel meel in so many days, oi be delighted!"

As the abbot reached out to grab the toast, Daisy snapped at Sandore's wrist and pulled it back,

"Not so fast father!"

The abbot's face was of surprise and slight anger, "But whoi not?"

"Because of your illness. Most of this food would likely make your condition worse. That is why I can only allow you to have some of this breakfast. Not he cordial, too sweet, the russet apple is too hard for your poor teeth..."

The abbot slid back into his bed, zoning out. Even his gifts were being watered down to nothing. Sliding his bed sheet over his head, he spoke out with great difficulty.

"Oh whoi hasn't nature ended moi misreble lief, no delicious food for moi ol' tummy, no cordiol for moi gullet. And now oi sit here weitherin' away"

Sister Daisy took it seriously, and felt extremely sad. She finally decided to give Sandore a break, "But, since it was so hardly put together by the friar, you can have it all!"

The abbot immediately rose, delight showed on his aged features. He slowly got out of bed and walked toward Sister Daisy, arms outstretched. For a moment, just for a moment, the sister truly smiled. The abbot walked up to her and hugged her, "Thankee sister, thankee a lot"

Daisy was taken a back by her own generous behavior. To make it less awkward for herself, she immediately replied with confident air, "Well, the toast is still very warm. Let me set the plate on the window ledge to cool down. Wait till its cold enough to eat"

As she walked to the window to set the plate down,

DING DING DING

The bells rang out loud and frenzied, quite out of character. This startled Sister Daisy, and she dropped the plate. It fell straight down from the window, and the food on it disappeared with it. Both Daisy and Sandore looked in complete shock, their jaws lying on the floor, unable to grasp what had just happened.

Out on the abbey grounds, Skipper Zorra and her close friend, gatekeeper Sheryl, were walking together on the abbey lawns, enjoying some hot scones from the ovens. The sun provided a warm blanket to everyone outside; even the wind was slow and soft. The pair watched as a group of dibbuns ran into the pond, much to the dislike of their mothers. They playfully shoved each other, and jumped around the muddy bank trying to get as dirty as possible. Zorra shook her head and smiled, "Look at the bunch of villains trying to avoid bathing. When will they grow?"

The young Skipper Zorra was recently appointed the leader of her clan. She was exceptionally strong, and more importantly, intelligent. After all she was the daughter of the great Skipper Dawruv, who left with half his tribe to help out with the Hergho clan up north. She would act on his behalf until his return, which was supposedly in one to two seasons. Her weapon of choice was a bow and arrow she inherited from her grandmother, yet she hadn't found use of it yet, having never fought with vermin. This didn't excuse her from practicing, which led to her sharp aim and fast reflex. And since the abbot was sick as well, she had to carry his burden of power on her shoulders for the time being.

Sheryl watched as a molemum dragged her sobbing child from the pond. Sheryl replied to Zorra with her usual, unconcerned attitude, " I think these dibbuns won't grow up fast enough. But who's asking me?"

Sheryl was an orphaned shrew, recued by the roving band of Guosim when she was young. She joined the jolly group, and spent some time sailing the rivers in logboats. She wasn't very fond of wandering from place to place though. When she visited the abbey countless seasons back, she refused to leave the wondrous place. Abbot Ravugh become a father figure for her, and helped her settle in her new life. Sheryl wanted to be a vital part of the abbey, so she spent her days trying to learn anything she laid her eyes on; cooking, brewing, sewing, caretaking, and the like. However nothing seemed to stick to her, no matter how long or hard she tried. One day, she went to old Descartes the Wise, Redwall's record keeper, for help. He gladly accepted her as a pupil, and taught her the tools of the trade. She learnt the entire history of Redwall in five seasons, and liked it very much. Soon he taught her how to properly write, and keep records. She got better and better, until she began writing some of the manuscripts herself.

Abbot Ravugh recommended Sheryl to become the recorder of Redwall upon Descartes' retirement, which she was very excited about. But that day came very unexpectedly. Descartes departed without notice, leaving only the abbot a message. Sheryl was crestfallen and confused at his disappearance, yet hopeful that perhaps someday he would return. She continued to keep records the way she was taught, but felt a nagging absence of her ancient friend. She pestered Ravugh for information about her dear friend, yet his lips remained sealed. On his dying day, the abbot told her that Descartes had gone to settle personal matter, and promised to return one day. Sheryl was heartbroken when Ravugh, her only family, died later that day.

Sheryl's wait turned from days, to weeks, to seasons with no sign of her companion. She refused to work on records; to her "nothing was of any value to write down". She felt even lonelier than when she was young. At first she would cry every night, and then her heart turned to stone. She became sour and grew bitter with age. She no longer waited, and her life became empty and meaningless. She spent more and more time in the gatehouse, secluded from the rest. To ease her pain, she imagined herself in the countless ages of the past, the ones she had read and learned about. Now history was her only companion.

That is until Zorra showed up at the abbey, whose blood ties were with the infamous Taggerung line of otters. Sheryl was extremely interested in her family and conversed with her a lot. Redwallers were astonished by the friendly behavior Sheryl portrayed to Zorra, she hadn't done so since Ravugh's death. Since then they had grown into good friends. And today, they strolled together through the lawns, enjoying, or 'living' according to Sheryl, another great summer day.

DING DING DING

They bells tolled erratically through the air. Zorra whirled around and squinted in the direction of the bell tower. She could discern a small shape beating wildly at the bells. The figure rang on for another few seconds before darting down the staircase four steps a time. As soon as it touched the ground it began running toward Zorra's direction. Sheryl turned around and took a look, "It's Moxor, the Redwall warrior"

Moxor, the great Redwall warrior as Zorra called him, was lunging full pace at the pair. He looked like anything but a hero. He wore an oversized tunic, different sandals on each foot, and carried a wooden stick supposedly sculpted to be identical to Martin's Sword. He was tongue lolled out the side of his mouth, and two buck teeth sprouted from his lips. A bushy tail bounced up and down indignantly the young squirrel's backside. When he finally did reach Zorra and Sheryl, he was panting madly, sucking in huge gulps air.

Skipper Zorra looked at him and said in a serious tone, "Ah, here comes the self-proclaimed Redwall warrior, Moxor the..."

"Impudent little rascal!" finished Sheryl. Zorra looked at her companion,        

"Oh Sheryl, so what if he wants to be a warrior like his hero, Mathias"

"What's wrong? Trouble is what's wrong. He's been caught trying to steal Martin's sword twice, he won't receive education, and as for manners he's worse than weasel"

Moxor's ears dropped in shame, "I know I have slipped in the past ma'am, but I think I can redeem myself, I saw something important!"

Zorra turned to the young squirrel, "What was it?"

"A dozen stoats, down the path heading this way. Their carrying shields and don't look like the good kind."

"Remind me again what kind of stoats are the good kind?" Sheryl said in a sarcastic manner.

Moxor continued, "I spotted them using the monocular Descartes mounted on the bell tower"

Not only was Descartes the Wise the record keeper, but also a brilliant engineer. During his stay at Redwall, he had set up many different kinds of contraptions all throughout the abbey. He had placed monoculars at various locations to provide watch over all directions. He had reinforced all doors, including the Great Hall's door to be near unbreakable and fireproof, thanks to steel. He had created a pattern of hidden doors leading in and out of the abbey in times of crisis. He had created an oil cavity reserve in the ramparts, so that with a pull of a lever, he drenched the outside walls in flammable fuel. One spark would light the outside abbey walls in fire, creating a wonderful distraction and barrier for anyone trying to scale the walls. He had also fenced up the ditch bed a long way up and down to prevent it being used for cover by vermin. The list went on and on. But perhaps his most clever invention was the mechanical bows he invented and installed into the outer walls. They were powered by someone rotating a crankshaft, which built power into a strong twine of rubber. The user would load it with any projectile they wished. When the user pushed a handle, the bow would fire at an extraordinary speed onto the path. Since the bows were level to the ground, anyone on the path would be instantly slayed. The best part was that they were completely invisible to an enemy outside.

Zorra started walking toward the abbey, "Come on my little warrior, let's go tell the abbot what you saw". The three started walking toward the abbey, with the young Moxor skipping in delight, "I knew I would be useful one day, do you think the abbot will..."

THUNK

The young squirrel was knocked cold by some projectile. Zorra jumped out of the way, and covered her head, "We're under attack! Let's find some cover".

Sheryl simply sighed, and walked to Moxor. Inspecting the projectile, she spoke out loud, "No need to worry Zorra, it's just a plate full of vittles" she picked up the russet apple tasted it, "And by the looks, it's the one you all sent to Abbot Sandore this morning."

Zorra got up, slightly embarrassed, "Why would he throw it out his window?" She peered upward, the remembered Moxor, "Oh my, I forgot about this poor young one, is he badly hurt Sheryl?"

Sheryl looked at Moxor in disgust, "The young wretch will finally learn his lesson". Zorra looked at her companion puzzled, "But what did the poor fellow do?"

"He's always at the wrong place at the wrong time" Sheryl said, slightly amused, "Let's take him to the infirmary, that way we'll be able to talk to Sandore as well."

Zorra called out to Friar Gustov, who was walking back to the abbey with an empty trolley, "Friar, do you mind helping us out".

The friar looked in their direction and said, "Sure ma dear, what's the problem?" Zorra explained that Moxor needed to be taken to the infirmary, and the trolley could be handy to take him. Gustov was willing but mystified about how he was hurt. Sheryl said nonchalantly, "It seems that I'm not the only one who detests your cooking Gustov, I believe Sandore has joined the list."

Gustov was taken aback, "What...But...What does this have to do with Moxor?"

Sheryl replied, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you, I think it's better if Sandore answered you himself"

Three pairs of willing paws took the unconscious little squirrel up the ramp and into the abbey, all baffled by what was going on.

Chapter 3

The sun was high in the sky, and the wind had picked up. Hares filed out of the base of the mountain, each clad in their armor and carrying different weapons. Captain Burge stood with Lord Seaburn; both were fully clad in battle armor. Burge had all his medals sewn to his chest piece and was carrying his signature sword and shield with the emblem 'S' written on it.

They inspected each hare as they passed out onto the shore. Burge fixed a passing hare's shield, "This is the biggest assembled force of the Long Patrol going to war. I never thought I'd live to see it, wot"
Seaburn played with his chains, "Eight-hundred hares. You sure like to take have cushion to fall on if things go bad."

Burge looked in surprise, "You think I'll be commanding from the back? Tough luck Seaburn, I'll be the first to wet my sword."

Seaburn put his hand on the captain's shoulder, "Now don't get carried away captain, we want minimal losses on our side, this is not a suicide mission!"

Burge shrugged, "Minimal losses, eh? We'll get each and everyone of these hares in a single piece back to the mountain by next season. It'll be the biggest and cleanest slaughter of vermin in history!"

Seaburn smiled and patted Burge's back, "I knew I could count on you Burge, to keep things under control during my absence"

"You're not coming with us?" Burge said in surprise, "What will you be doing, taking some of the Long Patrol another route?"

Seaburn turned to the sea and walked slowly across the sand. He raised his head to the sky, and spoke, "I'm staying at the mountain, I have a feeling it'll need me very soon."

Burge's voice was of alarm, "Need you? The enemy is on the flippin' side of the land, not anywhere near the mountain. Why would the mountain need you?"

Seaburn sighed, "I feel its need Burge, it's just quite hard to explain. Maybe there will be a sea-vermin raid, or perhaps a new badger ruler is approaching; whatever the case, I don't know. If I did, you'd be the first to know"

A young hare came forward from the group that was lining up, to the two friends, "Captain Burge, we got a problem sah! Cook refuses to feed me sah! I need some bally tucker before we march out into the land for days without rest or peace to wage wars on a thousand or so vermin who will wait for us to fight to death and or possibly defeat us and yet I will still remain hungry in my grave and my ghost will haunt the kitchens for food...sah!"

Burge and Seaburn looked the young hare, and his extremely fast speech, puzzled. Seaburn broke the silence which followed, "Private...Ruezer, am I correct? Please file back into line; we're having an important conversation here"

The young hare saluted to his superior, and turned around and started walking back, "Gottit Lord Seaburn sah! I will go back unanswered and hungry sah!"

Burge rubbed his brow in confusion, "Wot's up with that lad I wonder? Anyway, I was looking forward to serving in the field beside you Seaburn, yet it appears your feelings aren't quite in order" He started walking to the mountain, "Fine, miss all the action, all the glory, perhaps even a chance to experience bloodwrath. It's not my decision, it is yours."

Seaburn took in a huge gulp of air and heaved his chest, "You cannot dissuade me, captain. I know that the mountain is in danger. As for Redwall, I'll leave its fate in your paws."

Burge sighed, "Well it's quite unfortunate you'll not see the new squads in action. We've got twenty-five running our infiltration team. They're going to disguise themselves as vermin; should easily fit into the thousand or so enemies of ours, and provide information. Then we have two-hundred long range bow-hares and a hundred-and-fifty with medium range bows and slingshots. Fifty hares will be carrying spears and guarding the perimeter just in case our bow-hares are attacked.

The remaining three-hundred will be going with me. We've got shields and swords, and we'll take the cold hearted, pathetic vermin to dine at hell-gates with our bare paws, may it be. The rest will either be trackers, scouts, or cooks"

Seaburn surveyed the eight-hundred hares as they stood perfectly filed on the beach, "The teams sound good, but what is the plan captain?"

Burge rubbed his waxed moustache, "First we'll survey the land, and get the feel of the enemy. Since this isn't a siege or a long period attack, we'll simply surround the blighters and slay them all"

Seaburn shook his massive head, "Sounds a little too simple captain. What if there are more vermin that you can handle, what if you're ambushed, what if Redwall is under attack? A good leader should always have more than one option"

Burge replied coolly, "Well, if there are more than we can handle, we'll do a false charge from one side, make em' think we're more than we really are. We'll simply herd them to Salamandastron's direction. Hopefully you'll be waiting with the rest of the patrol to finish them off."

He continued, "Ambush is out of the question since I'll have the teams split into eight groups, each travelling slightly behind each other. If one is attacked, the rest can easily come to their aid. But if Redwall is already under attack, we'll enter the abbey through the back using one of the trick gates, and then we could easily turn the tables."

Both watched as the eager hares stood, waiting to start marching. The waves pulled in deep, and the wind whirled even faster. The scene seemed to stick still for a second, broken only by Burge's voice. "Would you like to talk to the Long Patrol, say a few words of courage?"

Lord Seaburn smiled and rubbed his paws together. Rising to his full height, he spoke out in a loud voice, "Comrades and friends, gentlebeasts and maids, do you know who we are?"

A murmur ran through the group, "The Long Patrol"

Seaburn continued, "When we took an oath to protect the weak and old, to serve for the greater good, and be heroes who would lead the way. What did we enroll for?"

This time the entire group said in a chorus, "The Long Patrol"

Seaburn got louder, and his voice was full of emotion, "In a few days, what will the enemy see surrounding them like a typhoon, and shiver in terror?"

The entire group rang out, "The Long Patrol!"

Seaburn unsheathed both his swords and crouched into his battle position, "And when we drive our swords into their hearts, and our spears into their brains, what will we scream out to the world!"

The entire beach shook as all the hares shouted, "The Long Patrol!! EULALIAAA!!!"

Captain Burge nodded to Seaburn and called out, "Let's march!!"

The entire group marched away shouting and screaming, full of joy. Lord Seaburn stood on the beach and watched till they were a mere spec in the distance. He then turned his gaze to the mountain, and thought of what was it to come.

Vauz woke, delusional and confused. He spluttered sand from his lips, and gritted his tongue across his teeth. Taking a few breaths, he slowly opened his eyes, which burned from the drying salt on his face. He looked at the growing day, and the restless sea in front of him. Trying to fetch events of the last night, he tried to get up. Immediately a sharp jab of pain made him fall back to the ground. He glanced at his right arm which lay useless by his side. Yogroth he thought, and started recollecting his memory. The blown out campfire...the mysterious figure...the attack on Haze and Norer...and his final assault on Yogroth. His head ached from the realization.

Turning slowly, he looked at his two friends, both of whom seemed to asleep. He pulled his good hand, only to realize it was knotted to a rope, which linked to Haze's and Norer's paws as well. "Yogroth!" he shouted from his lungs, "Where are you, you coward!"

The similar voice spoke out behind him, "Mr. Vauz, you are awake. When your friends are as well, we shall get moving"

Vauz was not listening, he was screaming and trying to free himself at the same time, "You cold, slitherin', piece of fur and bones I wouldn't even call a foe. Attackin' poor beasts for no reason! You 'orrible and wretched Vermin!!"

Yogroth slapped his bamboo stick on the sand, "Vermin, Mr. Vauz? Vermin are those who are addicted to greed; those who cannot stop thinking of plundering, murdering, and power. It's in their nature, these emotions, anger, hate, and the like. Their motives are driven by these very emotions rather than logic. Where do the emotions come from, Mr. Vauz? Their heart is where. And it is this very heart which also produces...fear. Fear will drive vermin insane; it is what is used to control them. When a leader cannot produce fear, he loses grip of his people. If he can produce fear, he is bathed in a need for power. Emotions are their ultimate weakness of every organic beast, including good ones like you."

Vauz had turned around and looked into the eyes of Yogroth with hate, who kept talking, "Courage and valor will prompt a 'goodbeast' to go against overwhelming odds to do heroic deeds. They have no choice but to obey them without consent. They have no free will; their will is twisted by nature and the environment around them. They never really reach personal redemption, or the goal in their heart."

Time seemed to sit still for a second, "I have no heart, Mr. Vauz. I do not feel the greed, or more importantly, fear. I am driven by logic, not petty emotion. I have a free will to do what is on my mind. I am not a vermin. I am not a goodbeast. I am Yogroth."

Vauz felt a chill run down his spine, as he saw the figure before him rise. He walked along the shore, and sat onto a rock, looking out to the sea. Vauz got the courage to reply, "So why did you attack me...us?

Yogroth said calmly, "You were aggressive towards me, when you raised your sword. I could sense rebellion in the other two. So I brought you down, to help me in my progress. You are merely a tool for now, one which I will dispatch when I'm done with. Raise your friends, and let us go soon."

The wind picked up its pace, and hummed a sweet tone. The clouds moved at a fast pace from the west. In the distance, a ship with five sails approached from the rough seas. Yogroth looked at it, and without further ado started moving up the beach.

Vauz shuffled both his friends with a tear stained face, hoping both would wake from their slumber. He was terrified with what the future held for him.

Chapter 4

Creatures huddled around the abbot in the infirmary as stories were exchanged. Sister Daisy tended to the young Moxor, and applied bandages around his head. As soon as he came back to consciousness, he blurted out, "Am I dead?" he looked around the room "Is this what hell-gates looks like? I knew it would look like the Infirmary."

His gaze turned to Sister Daisy, "Hey look, Sister Vaisy, are you dead too?"

She made a stern face at the cheeky squirrel, "Yes, I am. And now I'll show you what happens to bad squirrels in this place." She produced a spoonful of her 'Alleviator' and shoved it down Moxor's throat, despite his protesting.

For the Abbot, more pressing concerns surrounded the moment beyond his spoiled breakfast and bad squirrels. He was in no condition to talk to the approaching vermin, and he would only show a sign of weakness. Ravugh turned to his friends and said, "Gatekeeper Sheryl an' Skipper Zorra, cud you two take moi place talkin' to the wermin? Oi'm afraid Oi will only serwe as a sign ov veakness".

Zorra took the Abbot's paw and said confidentially, "You can count on us Ravugh, we'll scare the blighters out of Mossflower when we're done with them. You stay here and rest, I'm sure the Friar will be more than happy to serve you some more food."

Friar Gustov nodded at the statement, "Yes Father Abbot, I'll make you anything you like."

Zorra and Sheryl took their leave, and left down stairs. Moxor saw his chance to leave as soon as Sister Daisy turned her back, and dashed out of the room. He followed Zorra and Sheryl, feeling a little tipsy.

The stoats walked in a straight line down the path, approaching with caution. Each travelled crouched and their eyes shot back and forth in fear and amazement of the wondrous abbey. It was true; they only possessed shields and didn't carry a single offense weapon. They had come to negotiate with the Redwallers, rather than attack them.

Zorra and Sheryl walked across the lawns and slowly scaled the ramparts. They crouched, and peered over the walls. The stoats stood out on the path like a badger in a group of field mice. They didn't even try to use the bush for cover. Zorra called out hesitantly, "Stop right there! Who are you and what is your business here?"

The stoats stopped and raised there shields, one spoke out frantically, "Parley, Parley! We come in peace and do not carry weapons! We have come to negotiate and not fight!"

The cowardly voice made Skipper Zorra confident, "Why have you come here to negotiate? Speak fast, you are intruding our space."

Another voice from the gang of stoats shot out, "Our leader, Durja the Fox, wants to taste Redwall's famous vittles. He told us to come here and trade anything for just a single plate of grub."

Zorra scratched her head in confusion, and she whispered to her friend, "Sheryl, something doesn't seem right"

Sheryl replied, "Something doesn't seem right? A dozen stoats have come in peace to our door just for a plate of food, and something doesn't seem right?"

Zorra replied, "Well maybe they have. I better reply to them." She got up and shouted out, "We have to talk to our abbot first. Tell us what you have to trade though."

Sheryl sighed, "You're a fool to trust vermin, Zorra. I'll fix this myself."

Zorra reluctantly kept talking the vermin, thinking her companion would be going to get help from the abbot. Sheryl had no intention to do so, and went down from the ramparts to the lawn. She saw Moxor eavesdropping from the gatehouse. At first she wanted to scold him, but an idea struck her head. "Moxor, come here. I have a plan to teach those vermin. Now this is what we do..."

"No, we don't want your shields, clothes, or jewelry for trade. If food is all you want, we can give it-"

"Get down Zorra. Let me to talk to them" Sheryl pulled Zorra out of the way and stood on the wall before the vermin, "Now my friends, let's talk!"

The stoats looked in confusion and slight amusement at the old shrew before them. They were no longer afraid, and stood at ease. Sheryl however caught their attention in a flash.

"You cowardly vermin, do you know where you stand? This is Redwall, the place haunted by the ghost of a warrior. He will devour you before you can blink. He doesn't like vermin, especially stoats."

One stoat quietly whispered to the others, "I think I've heard of em. I think he's called Marvin or something"

Sheryl continued, "When Greypatch came from the far away seas, he was blasted back! When Cluny from the South and General Ironbeak from North tried to invade, their attempts were thwarted by him. When the mighty Rapscallion army knocked on our doors, he refused to open. Sawney Rath, Princess Kurda, Ruggan Bor, Ragga Bol, Vizka Longtooth and Gruntan Kurdley, you name them all. The ghost of Redwall has destroyed each and every one. And now, he's looking at you!"

The group of stoats' eyes dwindled in fear. They began slowing pacing backwards.

"Watch before your eyes the presence of the Ghost of Redwall!" Sheryl turned around to face Moxor, "Fire!"

Zorra realized what was going to happen and jumped at Moxor to stop him, "NO!"

She was too late. Moxor pulled a lever. All the mechanical bows fired at once. The arrows hit the gang of stoats like a hurricane, creating a sickening sound as they tore into the shields and flesh. They were sent flying across the road. Of the dozen, only two were alive, and of them one lay dying. Sheryl barked at him, "Get out of my sight, and tell your master to eat the corpses of your own dead. You are not fit to eat the vittles of Redwall"

The unharmed stoat ran away shrieking. Zorra shouted at Sheryl, "What was the need? I know they were vermin, but that doesn't mean we have to act like them too? Why would you do that?"

Sheryl said, "They weren't here for food Zorra, they were here for something else. I don't give a crud to the lives of vermin. You'll thank me one day."

With that Sheryl walked back to her gatehouse, patting Moxor on the back as she passed by. The young squirrel was shaking, and Zorra was worried. She said, "Are you alright my little warrior? Why did you listen to that old shrew and kill the poor-beasts. I know taking life can be hard."

Moxor looked up, and a grin crept up on his face. "I'm not shaking because I killed those stoats. I'm shaking because I feel excited from the rush of fighting and war. I feel my blood running Skipper Zorra"

"Don't talk like that, you're only a child. I think you have a fever Moxor, go up to the infirmary right now and rest" she said sternly, "Don't talk about this to anyone, please."

The quivering squirrel walked off into the direction of the abbey, while Skipper Zorra went out the gate to collect the bodies of the dead stoats. One stoat was still alive, and groaned in pain. Zorra saw him and rushed to his side. She said, "How bad are you hurt? We'll get you some help."

The stoat stared dumbly back, "You shot at us. All we wanted was a plate of vittles for Durja"

Zorra replied, "I didn't, it was my-" The stoat's eyes clouded over and his neck went limp. Zorra was taken aback, and her opinion on vermin changed forever. Maybe, just maybe, vermin weren't as bad as history showed them to be.

Chapter 5 below \/

Captain Tammo

Intense!!! Loved it! Can't wait for the next chapter. How long do you think it'll be?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

AakashB

Chapter 5

Dust sprawled off the ancient stones of the sandstone quarry. The sun shined through this sand and created a red fog through the sandstone's radius, exhibiting an evil past. It stood in the land like a huge bowl, reminiscent of an ancient crater. It was mined in the early days to create the very walls and structure of Redwall. It also provided a shelter for adders in seasons past and present. That is, until the day vermin showed up.

Thousands of creatures filed into the sandstone quarry, like bees returning to their hive. The very ground appeared to move and shake as the presence of vermin clouded the entire area. They filled into the tunnels to forge and kill anything inside. All adders were slain and carried out of the quarry. A foul smell of bittersweet hung in the air as more and more joined the pile of dead. In between this horde, the three leaders of all these vermin huddled in the center of the quarry, using a rock uprising as a makeshift table. They sat around it and discussed their plans; together.

The first was Durja. Nicknamed 'The Fat Fox' by his enemies and peers alike, he was in fact very plump. His love for food and lazy attitude during battle was not respected by other leaders, yet he was followed by the most amount of vermin. Over a thousand different beasts loyally devoted themselves to his service, since he never harmed or punished them.

Durja believed the primary objective was to gain food for himself and his enormous crew, and violence wasn't always the answer. Diplomacy was always a faster and easier way to acquire vittles. And what a better place to grow and harvest vittles than Redwall itself.

Many attempts had been made to overthrow his power, yet his loyal followers would immediately put a stop to any rebellion. They knew no other leader would treat them as fairly as Durja had. There were no captains or commanders, he treated every creature equally. In turn, his followers returned it with undying devotion.

The second was Stroxo the Mad. He was an unusual kind of ferret, very strong and rowdy. His face was enveloped in scars and covered by a foulard. He carried a giant scythe to behead any of his four hundred or so followers if they decided to complain even the slightest bit. He always talked in 3rd person, and relied on brute force to convey his message. Although strong, he was a horrible leader during battle. His first and foremost plan was to scare the enemy in hopes of surrender. It hadn't failed him yet. He hoped taking over Redwall would provide a symbol of his supremacy.

Lastly, there was Shruve the Horrible. He and his crew of two hundred were from the northern Black Mountains. They were squirrels. They adopted the vermin ways after the 'Winter of No Return', when the young, old, and weak of their clans died from the extreme cold. They had come south to find a place to live, away from all the treacherous and frosty mountain life. Redwall was a tempting place to take. And their territorial behavior was above asking for refuge; giving out a hand displayed a sign of imperfection. And perfection was utmost importance to the Mountain Climbers.

Shruve was the son of the Great Khan, the King of the northern mountains. Everyone respected the Khan's power, until he began growing old and Shruve started to get ready to take his place. Shruve promised his father he would earn the right to rule, yet the 'Winter of No Return' killed the Great Khan and his wife, leaving the orphaned Shruve to himself.

By right, Shruve became the next ruler, yet he felt he was an unworthy successor to his father. He would have to achieve the impossible to be a true leader. Taking Redwall had never been achieved, and he believed it was a perfect task to prove himself. Either he would succeed and redeem his title, or die trying. Whichever came, Shruve did not care.

"Stroxo would like to begin this meeting of the leaders" Stroxo rang out to silence the crowd, "Let it begin!"

"Aye!" said Shruve and Durja together.

"So are we all clear on the purpose of this meeting?" Stroxo said, "Stroxo has vowed to take Redwall down and offers his paws to those who would like join his motive. Do you two offer your full loyalty to the Great Stroxo?"

Durja replied coolly, "I shall guard your back Stroxo, you have my word"

Shruve replied with arrogance, "I serve only the Mountain Climbers. I agreed to stand on your side while taking Redwall, not after it has fallen."

One of Stroxo's ferrets jumped in, "How dare you insult Stroxo! He can snap your back like a stick and disperse you in a second."

Shruve jumped off his feet like a spring and simultaneously unsheathed a dagger from his neckband. He pushed the ferret to the ground, and rested the dagger on his chin and pressed on his throat with a knee.

"Drop your lunacy at the door ferret. You need my help, and I need yours. Redwall hasn't stood by so long for nothing. Idjits like you can't cooperate with other vermin. You end up fighting each other while the real enemy sits back and enjoys the view."

At this point every creature in the quarry seemed on their feet with weapons at the ready. Any second a full scale war could break out. Eyes shot back and forth as everything seemed to sit still. Tense moments past with no sign of change, and the tension mounted to an unbearable level.

"Hahahaha" The silence was broken by the laughter of Durja. He bit into a green apple and let out another laugh. "The young squirrel's right. We better work together." This broke the magical spell that was keeping everyone still.

Durja's follower's backed off and sat back down. Slowly the others followed the example. Shruve got off Juper and came back to his former position. He spoke out loud, "Now, does anyone have ideas of how we tackle Redwall?"

Although Stroxo was deeply embarrassed, he put away his feelings aside. He silently promised himself to avenge the moment, but now was not the time. "Stroxo says we scare them with numbers"

"No" Shruve said, "They could pick us off easily. Numbers would work if we were trying to defend ourselves."

"It has worked for Stroxo always. Stroxo says we do it!" said Stroxo.

"No we won't, it'd be open slaughter" replied Shruve.

Stroxo toyed with his scythe and narrowed his eyes. Shruve did the same with his dagger. Durja interrupted them both again, "How about we wait for Rabni? He's got a lot more numbers on his side"

"Remind Stroxo who he is again" said Stroxo

"Ah, good ol' Rabni" said Durja fondly, "He's a good pal of mine. He sails the seas with an entire fleet; seven ships. Good leader, I sent a message to him, he should be on his way pretty soon."

"We don't have time!" Shruve said, "We need to start the siege, Rabni can join us later. As for the plan, I recommend we build a bridge to let us scale the walls. We can then pour in like a flood and invade the place in a flash"

"No before we get too far" Durja said, "We must keep them alive. We need some of them to prepare the food for us, don't we?"

"Stroxo wants to know where your scouts are" Stroxo said

"I sent up a while back, they should be back soon, with a plate full of vittles between them." Durja replied with a grin.

Shruve looked puzzled, "Wait, you sent them for a plate of vittles? Didn't you tell them to scout the area, or find out something about the enemy?"

Durja seemed undisturbed, "No, I didn't. No sense running around when we already know everything that needs to be known. It's a fort, with warriors for sure, and has a large store of food to keep them alive for a few seasons. As for Redwall grub, I though it would simply...motivate us further."

Shruve let out a groan, "You ignorant old buffoon, you've given away our most precious weapon! Surprise!"

Durja let out a large and friendly smile as he replied, "Calm down, I only sent twelve. They will think we aren't a big force. In the time we build the bridge you were talking about, they'll drop their guard."

Shruve let out a sigh, "Maybe your right. While your scouts return, my squirrels and I will forge the forest for a big tree. Better get ready to build the bridge, eh?"

"Yes, we shall" Durja replied.

With this, the Mountain Squirrels left the quarry and dispersed into the trees. Stroxo and Durja walked back to their beasts to discuss what was to happen. Plans were made, and dreams of a different tomorrow rose.

Chapter 6

The wind had seriously picked up speed by midmorning. Torrents of unrelenting dust clouds scrounged the land of Mossflower. The worst of this hit the dunes near Salamandastron, the very route chosen by Cpt. Burge to travel. Sight was shortened to just a few feet, and direction seemed lost. The howling wind cut of all sound.

The Long Patrol marched towards of the direction of the abbey. They had marched for most of the morning, yet still were making slow progress due to the wind. They had followed Cpt. Burge's original plan of splitting into eight groups, but that had caused a lot of communication and travel problems. Messages sent between the groups took a long time to be exchanged. If one group stopped, all others had to stop to let them catch up. Another problem was the constant break of discipline in the groups of younger hares.

Cpt. Burge decided to finally assemble the entire force near River Moss. He sent messengers to tell all the groups to rendezvous at the bank of the river. It wasn't until a few hours before everyone was stationed at the river.

"All Commanders report to me now!" Captain Burge said, "As for the rest, make camp."

The groups broke out of formation and mingled in a hustle, mostly young hares looking or their friends. The seven Commanders of the different groups came forth out of the crowd to Captain Burge. He motioned them to follow him further up the bank, out of earshot of the crowd.

As they walked, Burge said in a grave voice, "Good job with keeping everything under control Commanders. The storm was unexpected, yet we made good progress. But it's not enough! You all know that Redwall is far, and at this pace, it'll take us a forever to get there, wot!"

One Commander spoke out, "Well, I would say it'll take a fortnight to reach Redwall, and that is if we go at full speed."

Burge struck a pebble near the bank with his footpaw, "It's too long! We need to get their faster. If only we had the Guosim or Otters to help us."

Another Commander replied, "Even they know not to come out during this season. There's no way they'll be roving in the waters, wot."

Burge looked out on the river, secretly hoping the shrews would magically appear. Yet even he knew his wish held not a sliver of hope. He replied, "Well then we must build ourselves boats. That'll be faster than walking ourselves to Redwall in this weather."

The Commanders went silent. The noise of rushing water and the crowd of hares was all that passed for a few moments. One Commander said quietly, "Burge, that's...that's impossible. We are fighters, not builders. And building one big enough for eight hundred is more than impossible."

Burge smacked his foot on the ground in frustration. "Walking through this wind would be impossible! I need to get to Redwall fast, and if building a boat is what it takes, then so be it!"

The Commanders looked at each other in despair. They knew convincing Burge would be no easy task. They stood quietly, waiting for their Captain to say something. A few turned their backs to walk back to the camp when suddenly a young Commander named Walsh spoke up, "We build an airship!"

All eyes fell on the young Walsh, followed by laughter. One Commander shook his head, "This isn't a time for joking Walsh"

Commander Walsh replied with anger, "This isn't a joke! I....I think it is possible."

Another Commander said, "Walsh, I can already tell the Captain doesn't appreciate your humorous attitude."

The Commanders turned to Captain Burge, yet he didn't appear angry or amused. There was a twinkle in his eyes. His lips turned to a grin and his eyebrow rose. "Tell me, Walsh, tell me how."

Each Commander gasped at Burge's words, and one spoke out, "Don't tell me you're serious!"

Burge replied, "I am serious, and we will build an airship! Walsh, tell me what you're thinking of."

Walsh spoke out a little hesitantly, "Well, the wind is so bloody strong a ship could become airborne. But, if we build something lighter and larger, it'll sail the breeze like a free bird!"

Burge stepped forward and grabbed Walsh by his shoulders and said, "How would we build this airship? How long would it take?"

Walsh replied with surprise, "Uh, it could be done within a day, Captain."

Burge's attitude became very exuberant, and he shook with excitement. He shouted, "Commanders, get your groups ready! We need to build this airship straight away, wot. Walsh, tell me what we'll need."

Walsh said, "Well, we need lots of wood, cloth, and vines. Perhaps-"

Burge cut him mid-sentence, "Commanders, go and start a search in these woodlands. Meet back here in an hour. Dismissed!"

Burge ran out full speed to his group, leaving the somewhat uncertain Commanders in disbelief. They slowly followed him to start the search in the woodlands.

===~~*~~===

An hour had passed, and now the sun was started its decent back into the horizon. The commanders had returned back to the original camp site, all seven except Burge. They had found almost nothing of value. As they waited for him to arrive, they talked about his radical idea.

"An airship, would you think of that ol' scout! I think he's going cuckoo in the head" one said.

"I heard Burge was pretty outlandish in his war tactics, but it never struck me he'd go this far" another one spoke out.

"And now he's abandoned us on this river, while we could have made progress marching for Redwall" said one.

"I bet he hasn't found anything useful yet. He's probably ashamed to even show up here, eh?"

The Commanders had a short laugh, and continued talking with slight mutiny. All this while, Commander Walsh sat apart from the group, cursing himself repeatedly for telling such a wild idea. He too, had found nothing useful to make the 'airship'. All he could do now was to wait, for his Captain Burge to arrive.

The wait stretched on further and further, until most of the campsite was asleep. Walsh was still awake, silently waiting. As his eyes drooped down with a heavy weight upon them, he heard a rumble in the distance. He opened an eye, but soon he passed it up for his imagination. Another followed, and this time it was much more distinct. Walsh shot upright and stared down the river. Another rumble followed, much louder than the previous ones. He could discern shapes coming along the banks far away, but he couldn't tell if it was Burge or the enemy.

Walsh ran into the middle of the camp and shouted, "Everyone get up! There's a large and unknown group approaching!"

His ratchet got everyone on their footpaws, including the Commanders. They followed Walsh to the bank, where he pointed to the approaching mass of figures. The rumble grew louder and louder as they approached. One hare with good eyes shouted, "Its Burge an' his group!"

One commander said, "Look at that, he has no...no-"

Every hare's jaw dropped on the ground. They stared in awe before them. The Commanders were in disbelief, and Walsh was in tremendous relief.

It was a massive ship. Burge stood on top of the tallest mast. He sung without pretense with his group a marching song. Some hares struck the vessel with spears to make a rumbling noise.

"Oh! My paws are sore,
       My feet are cold,
       Can't walk no more, no more, no more!

Yet I'd been scold,
      To walk on all fours,
      They say it's a chore, a chore, a chore!

Let me sit down to eat,
      Not long of a feat,
      Just some fresh meat, fresh meat, fresh meat!

Captain says, I'll grow fat,
      And won't make it back,
      So I get some hard tac, hard tac, hard tac!

Please just a small bite,
      Won't make a difference, right?
      I can't make it all night, all night, all night!

So I sneak away,
      A nicely baked,
      Shrimp and fish steak, fish steak, fish steak!"

Burge's group had found this moored and broken vessel far up the river. It had five masts, and four decks. It was enormous. They decided to tie it to strong lines, and were hauling it back to the camp on foot. As they approached, the hares from the camp exploded with enthusiasm and ran up to help their friends. When it reached the camp, all eight hundred hares heaved the mighty ship out of the water and onto the bank.

Burge came down from the mast with ease and a grin on his face. He said, "I think this will do, wot?"

The Commanders looked in shame when they saw what Burge had done. Walsh on the other hand beamed with delight. He though that, maybe, there was a chance this 'airship' could be built.

Chapter 7 Preview

The storm raged on. The waves rose high again, and spread onto the shore. The dust had cleared, but the wind still raged. This vast expanse of sand was completely deserted, or it seemed. Four figures made their way forward. Yogroth walked with unyielding pace. The hares limped behind him in fear. The horizon on the ocean was clear, and six ships could be outlined in the distance.

Vauz quietly said to Haze and Norer, "Don't worry mates, we'll make it out of this. The first chance we get, run straight for Salamandastron."

The youngest, Norer, replied with a sob "We won't make it nowhere. He'll kill us all, I tell ya"

Haze was slightly more optimistic, "Don't you cry Norer, we're Salamandastron's hares, and we can do anything. That includes getting free from this, monster."

Yogroth didn't say a word and kept moving. It had been a while when Salamandastron could be seen in the distance. Yogroth stopped immediately. The hares stopped as well. Vauz quietly said to the others, "You two get ready to make a run for it. I'll try to stop him"

Norer broke out into a new sob, "He'll kill us all!"

Yogroth approached the group, and stared at them for a moment. As he proceeded, Vauz shouted, "You won't dare put a paw on us again you filthy animal!"

Yogroth made no reply, but simply put his paw on the knot holding their paws together. Giving it a sharp tug, he released it. Their paws were free. The hares immediately fell to the sand and rubbed their numb paws, letting blood surge life back into them. Haze and Norer were relieved, but Vauz was ever so suspicious. He watched as Yogroth turned his back and walk toward the ocean. By now, the six ships were very close.

They were gigantic ships, each one many times bigger than a single corsair vessel. Each was designed to look fierce and dangerous. But the leading one was bigger and more unusual than anything known in the history of Mossflower. 20 vermin ships wouldn't put together to form it. The hull alone spanned up forty meters, and the mast's rose three times higher. Each of the twelve sails was black and lined with red silk; it shimmered beautifully in the waters. It almost seemed hypnotizing, if weren't for its vermin crew, and captain. Rabni.

Rabni stood on the bowsprit, holding out his broadsword, waving his vermin to make for land. His face was adorned with many earrings and paint, yet his outfit was sleek and simple. He was a warrior type, and jewelry would only hold him back. The most distinguished feature was his large eyes. They would put an owl to shame. But this was actually why he was the captain. He could supposedly see the future.

Rabni called to his first mate, "Eh, Hurret, what be that on the beach?"

Hurret pinched his eyes and replied, "Uh, three hares an' some large beast, captain"

Rabni let out a howl of laughter, "HAHAHA! Let's take them all"

Yogroth stood on the tip of the beach, right ahead of Rabni's boat. As the ship scraped against the low water, Rabni jumped off the bowsprit and landed right in front of Yogroth. As his crew followed him to the beach, Rabni pointed his sword at Yogroth and asked, "Didn't expect this did ya? HAHAHA! Now, tell me who you are"

Yogroth placed a paw on his mask and took it off. Rabni's large eyes grew larger. His crew took a few steps back. Rabni lowered his sword in an instant and bowed, "Yogroth...you are Yogroth."

"Yes"

Rabni signaled his crew to bow, and then he said "Yogroth, I am Rabni, Rabni Cajseuq. These creatures behind me be my crew. My ancestors worked for your ancestors. I owe your kind the power I have today. Your will is mine. I'm yours to command"

"Your ancestors didn't work with my ancestors. They worked with my parents. Now, tell your crew to get ready to sail. We are going to Salamandastron. I'm not wasting time."

"You heard him, load up crew!" said Rabni

Yogroth looked past Rabni and said, "I see six ships. Where is the seventh?"

Rabni replied, "Well, I was on my way to the quarry to meet with a few pals ov mine. I sent one ship up River Moss to scout the area and come back to us. It's been three days, they should be coming back."

"We're not waiting, we sail now. Leave one of your crew behind to let the scouts know where we are going."

Rabni turned around and called an unfortunate rat down, "You there, come down here. You're gonna stay here and wait for our scouts. Got it?"

The rat said, "Yes, captain!"

Rabni shuffled his feet, then slowly turned his gaze to Yogroth, and said "Why have you come here? I thought you weren't supposed to be within sight of Mossflower. You were driven out, weren't you?"

Yogroth replied, "Yes, but logic has driven me back. I've been...taught to do things that I must. And I will."

Rabni's eyes grew large again, Yogroth immediately understood. Whipping around in a flash he caught the charging Vauz with a single hand. He lifted him high into the air from his neck. He said, "Why forsake the freedom I gave you. Now you hinder my progress and must die for it." Vauz knew he was in serious trouble. Giving all his might he kicked at Yogroth, yet his attempts were futile. Yogroth said, "Your ignorance baffles me. Why are you hell-bent to take revenge right now? Why not wait till you grow more powerful?"

Yogroth eased the grip on Vauz's neck. Taking a deep gulp of air, Vauz immediately shouted, "I am a Salamandastron hare! SALAMANDASTRON!! SALAMANDASTRON!! SALA-"

Vauz looked at Yogroth's face for the first time. His words stopped dead in his throat. His face...wasn't unusual at all. It was smooth and almost friendly. His eyes looked like they had seen many seasons. His cheeks were round. It almost reminded him of-

CHUCK

Yogroth's hand crushed his throat in a snap. Vauz could no longer breathe. He tried to shout again but he couldn't even feel his body below the neck. His eyes bulged out of their sockets. His tongue flailed uselessly out of his lips. He was dying. Fast.

Yogroth said, "No one but you is blamed for this death", yet Vauz couldn't hear him. He kept repeating the word 'Salamandastron' in his mind. Yogroth finally let loose the hare. Vauz fell into the shallow water with a thud. He uncontrollably gasped for air like a fish out of water, but it wouldn't reach his lungs. Rabni, out of a spark of sympathy, ran his blade into Vauz's heart. He was dead.

===~~*~~===

Haze stood further up on the bank and witnessed it all. She fell on her knees in disbelief. Tears rolled down her eyes unchecked. Norer was already sobbing, and he began making his way to Yogroth. Haze immediately got up to stop him and said through sobs, "Norer please don't. Vauz wanted us to go to Salamandastron. Don't make the mistake he did."

The young Norer replied, "Vauz is still alive, I know it. I'm going to ask Yogroth nicely to give him back."

Haze let out another sob and said, "Norer please don't. Don't be a fool. We need to go, now."

Norer said, "Vauz is alive, I feel it. Please let me go and ask him back. Vauz is...he's alive. I know. He wouldn't leave his brother, he promised me."

Haze wiped her tears and hugged Norer, "Norer let it out. I'm...sorry"

Norer shook his head as he replied, "No, no, no, no, no, no! You're wrong! I'm going to Vauz right now"

Haze watched the little hare start to walk, and the she screamed, "Vauz is DEAD!"

Norer turned around with hatred in his eyes and shouted back, "Then I wanna be dead!"

Haze said, "Then go, do your brother proud by getting yourself killed. I'm sure he would've wanted that"

Norer walked a few more steps before he stopped. His knees gave way and he fell down onto the sand and wept hysterically. Haze went up to Norer and comforted him. She then picked him up on her shoulders. She started walking away from the scene and towards Salamandastron.

===~~*~~===

Yogroth stood on the main deck. Strong winds fluttered through his cloak. The ships were coursing through the waters at a brilliant speed. They would be at Salamandastron within an hour. He could then begin his work.
Rabni was in his cabin with his first mate Hurret. He was quite shocked with the appearance of Yogroth, more so than his confused crew. Hurret was especially curious of the creature that even his Captain feared. He asked, "So captain, who is this Yogroth. An' what is he? He almost looks like a-"

Rabni cut him short, "Yea I know. He looks like a mole. To be more specific, he's a Weremole!"

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tiria Wildlough

I like it. It is sort of the kind of foreboding that makes you want to see the next chapter...and the next...and the next...
  :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

AakashB

Can't wait to put out the whole chapter tomorrow!

Captain Tammo

Heisnotdead

Amazing!! You just need to fix it up a bit and it will seem like Mr. Jacques actually wrote it!!!!!
God's might is my sword, God's love is my shield, and I will defend my people from Satan with these.

AakashB

Thank you so much! What would you like me to fix or change?

Captain Tammo

I know long patrol hares laugh at the face of a threat or danger. But I don't understand why the captain and the badger lord would be just fooling around. Yes as far as how you wrote it, INCREDIBLE, you have to understand I'm a harsh critic. But that part just didn't make sense. Also, in previous books, I always thought that salamandastron was too steep to walk down, then again maybe I'm wrong. Lastly if there were a thousand vermin right there on the path, why didn't they warn the redwallers?!?! Despite those, it was an extremely good job. When are you releasing the next chapter?

AakashB

Thank you so much for your kind words, they are very motivating to write more. As for the hares not telling the Redwallers, I think two scouts would be a bit taken aback with so many vermin, and not try to sneak by them to tell Redwall. I think they'd just think the best thing to do is to go to their captain and get help.
And I will put up a preview on Wednesday, and the full episode on Thursday.

Captain Tammo

AakashB

Nevermind, the character limit is unlimited now, everything is in the original post :D

Captain Tammo

Captain Tammo

Sounds good!!! The abbey defenses sound cool. But i think if vermin broke through part of the ditch's fence, they could use it to their advantage as a wall. And the oil thing sounds a bit much, but you're doing a good job and I can't wait for the next chapter!!!