News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

How anthropomorphic are the animals to you?

Started by Mara the Wolf, September 14, 2020, 10:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mara the Wolf

Just a little something that bugs me - one of the books mentions hares having paw pads. Lapines (hares and rabbits) don't have paw pads in real life (also, if the illustrations are anything to go by, they have the noses completely wrong too - lapines have hairy, black, v-shaped noses. Squirrels too). It's such a minor little quibble, and you could say, "Well, in real life, they don't talk either," but still.
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

Ripred the Gnawer

'We stop looking for monsters under the bed when we realize they are inside of us'
"If you gaze long enough into the abyss, it'll gaze back at you"

lass of something much

Quote from: Masika on December 08, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
Just a little something that bugs me - one of the books mentions hares having paw pads. Lapines (hares and rabbits) don't have paw pads in real life (also, if the illustrations are anything to go by, they have the noses completely wrong too - lapines have hairy, black, v-shaped noses. Squirrels too). It's such a minor little quibble, and you could say, "Well, in real life, they don't talk either," but still.

They do have something similar, however..
So the mistake is forgivable.
Quote from: Masika on December 07, 2020, 04:39:19 PM
Not just Gabool. Boar the Fighter is the first creature (publication-wise) to be mentioned having a beard. Personally, I find these animals having facial hair (or hair on top of their heads that isn't fur) to be weird. It's one thing to do it over in Sonic, where the animals are so anthropomorphic they're more like (mostly) small humans with fur and tails (and hair-like quills for hedgehogs and echidnas), but in Redwall? The animals seem more like animals standing on their hind-legs, body-wise.

Then again, it depends on the artist. Troy Howell's cover art looks a bit too much like regular animals, with no human elements, while Gary Chalk's illustrations look way too much like humans with fur, human-ish heads, and tails. My reaction to Mattimeo's picture in Chapter 5? "Whoa, no! Nononono! This is Redwall, not Wind In the Willows!"

Thing is, are you meaning redwall, or how you imagined it.. Judging by how they're described in actual books, I'm guessing Garys' depiction was quite accurate..
𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱