News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

A bit of advice for the site developer

Started by Astral, July 14, 2011, 04:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astral

You don't really need an inline scroll bar. The main scroll-bar is there for a reason, and the scroll-bar in the middle of page kind of ruins the layout theme.

I know you have the papyrus effect, and you want to keep it. What you can do is easily have expandable DIV tags, for content which is long, and have a repeating middle sections of the "rose" so the BGs still looks good .. So any DIV tag, with any length of content would be:

--Begining of rose--
--REPEATABLE STEM
--End of stem

And that would remove the need for a horrible scroll-bar, also if you wanted to keep the top-sidebar always on screen, make that a floating DIV, always at the top of the page (but I would advise against it, it would be cleaner without a moving DIV tag) ;)
"Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only be maintained by violence."

The Lady Shael

These are great suggestions (and I agree with you). Only Redwall Abbey has control over the site design and everything else non-forum, and unfortunately he doesn't come around often.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Nightfire

I sent an Email to Redwall Abbey about it. Who knows, maybe they'll change it.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Yeah...the inline scroll bar is still there...
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Nightfire

I guess it was a glitch on my computer. I just realized it and changed my post. :(
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Lutra

There is no inline scroll bar if you view the site from http://redwallabbey.com/forum/

If you go to the main http://redwallabbey.com and click on forums, then yeah, you'll have more than one scroll bar.  Its better to just bookmark the forum link and avoid the main page with the forum inlay altogether.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Folgrimeo

I avoid the inlay too because no other forum I know is restricted to that small space. It's nice to code to a common small resolution, but beyond that... if it looks fine when wider, then let it be wider! The inlay's a clever way to continue having easy links to the rest of the site. Can't think of any other reason to have it like that though - I saw a visual glitch as well. And I used to see the second scroll bar, but don't see it anymore.

Desert Dog

This looks like a likely topic...

On the main redwallabbey website, in the 'The Books' Section, then on the 'Lord Brocktree' book description, they spell 'journey' with an h, instead of a j. e.g.

QuoteJoin Lord Brocktree and Dotti the irrepressible haremaid as they hourney to Salamandastron, gathering a host of brave creatures to fight alongside them in the ultimate struggle!

Thought I'd mention it in passing.. wouldn't want it to stay there for years!