News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall VS Warriors

Started by Iamthatis, May 07, 2014, 08:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faiyloe

No not at all in fact I think it is you who is annoyed with me. I am just trying to help you from missing out.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Dawnwing

The first entire book itself isn't anything spectacular, it just starts to introduce you to the world.  Things pick up later on, and the 6th book of the first series ("The Darkest Hour") is one of my favorite books of all time; in the top 3, I'd say.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Rainshadow on May 07, 2014, 11:38:48 PM
  I did enjoy the Warriors series, but after the first series, the story sort of got old. 

I agree, Rainy! I like them both, but Redwall's better. IOn Warriors, there's just too many! And they start to get a little old. Now, I might be taking a break from reading Redwall (In my defense, I've read every single one at least three times, and I read them all at once) But warriors....You kinda have to read them all at LEAST three times, to be able to summarize them.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah've juzt read ze firzt Varriorz. Juzt from zat ah zink ze zeriez iz pretty major. Givez ye quite ze intereztin' perzpective it doez!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Rusvul

Quote from: Faiyloe on May 14, 2014, 07:20:10 PM
You can't just give up on a book halfway threw the first chapter. A lot  of the books I have read don't get good till after  the first chapter and one didn't till after about three very long chapters (They were the most boring chapters of my life) But then it got really good and it was so worth it. I would advise roughing it out at least three chapters possibly more before dumping it.
Hmmh. A valid opinion, certainly. In general, though, I judge my interest of things on my first impression of it- It's not my job to make that impression good, it's up to the writer. If my first impression isn't good, I'm likely to stop reading- Some people are like that, some aren't. It's up to the writer to try to cater to both groups. Unless they decide not to. Or utterly fail at it. In which case, I'll just not read or buy the book.

I suppose what I'm saying is that there's a flip side to your opinion as well, and it's equally valid. First impressions are, after all, the most important ones.

EDIT: Changed stuff.

gorath

I gotta say, the Warriors series is very good, but I like Lord Brocktree better. I've read the Warrior series several times, so I know them very well.
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Faiyloe on May 14, 2014, 07:20:10 PM
You can't just give up on a book halfway threw the first chapter. A lot  of the books I have read don't get good till after  the first chapter and one didn't till after about three very long chapters (They were the most boring chapters of my life) But then it got really good and it was so worth it. I would advise roughing it out at least three chapters possibly more before dumping it.
Usually, I don't stop reading a book until I'm done, even if I don't like it very much.

That give an idea of how much I was not interested in it?
Anyhow, this is veering away from the topic, so I shall desist from my prattling.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Feles

Redwall for me
I mean seriously, I just stopped reading warriors halfway through series three just to read the ENTIRE Redwall series, some of them twice and three times over, but the warriors series is still well crafted, though im worried because the woman who writes them makes one each week,
Gone for a two months?
makes two more series.
I think by now im just chunnering
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Rusvul

Warriors is written by a group of writers under the name 'Erin Hunt(er?)' to make it easier to find in libraries. So yeah, they can write pretty fast. Because there's, like, four of them, or something.

Feles

o
still, Redwall is the winnr
I am Bobracha!

Dawnwing

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 26, 2014, 04:32:34 PM
Warriors is written by a group of writers under the name 'Erin Hunt(er?)' to make it easier to find in libraries. So yeah, they can write pretty fast. Because there's, like, four of them, or something.

Six of them, at this point, though it's been 3 that have been working on Warriors.

Starla1431

To me both Redwall and Warriors have their strong points and weak points.

Plots: Warriors OS was very good but as I have yet to read TNP(the only book I've read was Midnight) POT and OOTS plot was pretty much the same thing as the OS but with a little unneeded drama. Though DOTC is pretty good and original. Redwall's isn't that much better than Warriors in plots but atleast some of the books are more original.

Characters: I think Warrior's characters(especially the heroes) are more likable and unlike some of Redwalls characters aren't the same and have faults. Some of Redwall's heroes are either the same or too perfect. The villains in both books are pretty much the same but Warriors unlike Redwall sometimes shows that a villain isn't born evil  but can become evil by certain events in their life.

Writing Style: Both books have their own unique styles.

But overall I choose Warriors.

Feles

Quote from: Starla1431 on May 29, 2014, 05:36:10 PM
To me both Redwall and Warriors have their strong points and weak points.

Plots: Warriors OS was very good but as I have yet to read TNP(the only book I've read was Midnight) POT and OOTS plot was pretty much the same thing as the OS but with a little unneeded drama. Though DOTC is pretty good and original. Redwall's isn't that much better than Warriors in plots but atleast some of the books are more original.

Characters: I think Warrior's characters(especially the heroes) are more likable and unlike some of Redwalls characters aren't the same and have faults. Some of Redwall's heroes are either the same or too perfect. The villains in both books are pretty much the same but Warriors unlike Redwall sometimes shows that a villain isn't born evil  but can become evil by certain events in their life.

Writing Style: Both books have their own unique styles.

But overall I choose Warriors.
I think your the first to pick Warriors over Redwall
I am Bobracha!

Shadowed One

I would definitely say Redwall. Warriors is okay, but the style and storylines are just better in Redwall. Plus, Warriors is sort of human world and animal world. Redwall is its own complete universe, with no humans at all.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Rusvul

I definitely have to give Warriors some credit for moral ambiguity. That's one of the main things I dislike about Redwall- The heroes are too heroic, perfect, and can do no wrong. The villains are too universally evil, can do no right, and have it in their blood to be as such. My biggest complaint about Redwall is the complete lack of grey, really.