News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Books you should read.

Started by rachel25, May 23, 2014, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

Ok, this topic is about trying to get other people to read some good books that aren't Redwall, that you've read.
Ok, a book series (it's a three long book series) which I suggest people should read is Lion Boy, By Zizou Corder. I love these books, and I've been hard pressed to find books as good as them. In fact, I almost like them more than the Redwall books. Here's some pictures of all of the covers in order.

The Skarzs

Anyone read the Tripod series?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

rachel25

Can't say I've even heard of them.

The Skarzs

It's an interesting trilogy; you should check them out. They are called: The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pit of Fire.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

I've heard of the Tripod series, never read it though.

If you're a girl, you should read Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare. It was written in the 1950's, I think. I read it just the other day and it. Was. Awesome.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Going to go ahead and find my time tested list

Tied for my top favourite book series of all time are The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica and The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by James A. Owen and Michael Scott respectively
Chronicles
[close]
Secrets
[close]

Then of course we have Tolkien

After Tolkien comes Terry Pratchett with the Discworld series which are too numerous to post here so I won't

After Pratchett we have The Bartimaeus Trilogy and its prequel book, The Ring of Solomon by Jonathon Stroud
Bartimaeus
[close]

After that comes the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage
Heap
[close]

Then it's The Wardstone Chronicles by Joseph Delaney. I am ashamed to say I've only read up to The Spook's Battle
Wardstone
[close]

After that my pick is Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Pleasant? Not really
[close]
The final book will be called The Dying of the Light. Maleficent Seven and Armageddon Outta Here are not part of the main series but I highly recommend getting Maleficent Seven if you get the rest.

Next it's Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds
Revelation
[close]

My next choice is The Books of Beginning by John Stephens
Books
[close]
Unfinished, the final book will be called The Black Reckoning

Then I say the Inkworld trilogy by Cornelia Funke
Inkworld
[close]

Next, Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, I have not yet read the second series but I plan to.
Olympians
[close]

Then I choose The Joshua Files by M. G. Harris
files
[close]

And finally Temeraire by Naomi Novik
Temeraire
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on May 23, 2014, 07:33:18 PM
Then I say the Inkworld trilogy by Cornelia Funke
Inkworld
[close]

I'm re-reading those right now, awsome books.

Brotherband Chronicles anyone?

Spoiler
[close]
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Rusvul

Yeah, if anyone hasn't read the Inkworld series, do so immediately. The second two books are basically all climax. It's like, 'Oh, big plot point! Oh, even bigger plot point! Oh, he's a traitor, massive plot twist! Oh, he died, bigger plot twist!'

...Not that that has anything to do with that series, really, I don't remember a traitor... OR DO I?

Deltora Quest is also very good. It's written in a way comprehensible to younger readers (I was really into it when I was eight or nine, I think.) but the stories are... Pretty interesting. It's basically a massive, strange, world with lots and lots of creepy things. The author is good at at that. I can't remember her name, though... Strange, I'm usually really good at that.

The Skarzs

39 Clues? The rest of my family is really into those.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Yeah, they're good. I don't think the new series is needed, though, I think they should have left it at 'Yay, victory.' Um, spoiler alert. Not a terrible one, though. Doesn't tell you what kind of victory. Heheheh, science, military, cultural, or..., Um, the other one. Can't say, haven't played Civ in a while. (Clever little Civ joke.)

The Skarzs

I don't really care; my family has been spoiling the whole series for over a year. ::)

Oooh, does anyone like G. K. Chesterton? Do you like steampunk? Do you like spinoffs? Well, feast your eyes on these:   

HA HARR!

These books are a lot of fun, mixed with suspense, mystery, humor, and mind-bending moments. I will not spoil anything, but you may recognize some characters and objects from other books and popular topics. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MatthiasMan

I suggest for the wolf lovers, that you read Nightshade.  It is a series of three books about a girl named Calla.  Great book, but I suggest it to the older teens as it tends to be a little graphic. There is a lot of blood in these books.

Ferrousferret

If anyone is willing to read the Books of Mortals trilogy by Ted Dekker & Tosca Lee, I'd suggest it. The three novels are Forbidden, Mortal & Sovereign. Its got heavy basis on Christianity, but, even being an Atheist, and even being as obvious as it was, it really didn't bother me that much until the third book.

Essentially, the books take place 500 years in the future after a Nuclear War nearly wiped out human civilization & "caused humanity to evolve into a more holy state," essentially, having all human emotions except for fear completely neutralized. The trilogy follows a group of characters who all begin discovering that there might be more to the story than they were all taught in school & eventually end up at war over how precisely to change the course of humanity from that point on.

The only problem I really have is that the Glorified Hero of the series is pretty much for all intents and purposes Jesus Reincarnate & by the third book, it literally collapses completely into complete & utter Christian propeganda. However, up until that point its still pretty good & reminds heavily of the current running TV series "Revolution" (the show where all electricity fails & humanity reverts back to the 1800s, not the reality show)

I'd put up more, but most of the other series' I'm into are kind of harsh, unforgiving, adult-content filled fantasy & scifi novels, so...

rachel25

Anyone read these Frank Peretti books.

These are inspiring books, both the same series, (the series is only two books long sadly.)
I couldn't put these books down I was like, "Oh, it's way after nine o'clock, but my sister hasn't come yet. I'll just finish the chapter, and maybe the chapter after that...."   ::)

Cornflower MM

@JEt: I was going to suggest The Bartimaeus Trilogy, too! And Percy Jackson....And The Inkworl Trilogy..We read a lot of the sma ebooks! Oh, here's something that you guys should read:
Not gonna tell you what it is - You're going to have to look! >:D
TWILIGHT SERIES!!!! They're by Stephe/anie Meyer. Here's some pictures of the covers:
Here's the first one, called Twilight.
The second one, called New Moon:
The third, called Eclipse:
?And, the final one, Breaking Dawn: They've got movies, too! Now, while the movies don't follow the storyline at that well, it's followed pretty good.
[close]