News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Forum Location names

Started by Nightfire, September 10, 2011, 06:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightfire

Hey, so I really liked how we have the Cellars and the Cavern Hole names on the two places. I was thinking that it would be cool to give each area a Redwall name. Here's my idea of how things COULD be named:

Announcements---Great Hall
Suggestions and Concerns---Salamandastron
General Discussion---The Orchards
Character Discussion---Mossflower Woods
History, Legends and Myths---Martin's Tomb
Redwall Fan Works---The Gatehouse
Role-Playing---The Pine Forest
Redwall Websites---The Main Gate
Brian Jacques' Other Works---Ruddaring
Happy Birthdays---The Abbey Pond
Forum Games---The Bell Tower

So, what do you think?
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Lutra

^ Only some of the suggestions actually make sense (e.g. Announcements in the Great Hall).  The rest just put a place to a section, even if there is no real connection.  I personally think if its not broke, don't fix it.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Lutra on September 10, 2011, 08:01:03 PM
^ Only some of the suggestions actually make sense (e.g. Announcements in the Great Hall).  The rest just put a place to a section, even if there is no real connection.  I personally think if its not broke, don't fix it.

I'd agree, Lutra.
It also just complicates the look of the forum and would provide difficulty for anyone not already well knowledgeable of the sections.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Nightfire

There are connections, though. For instance, Fan Works could be renamed the Gatehouse, because the gatehouse is always the location in Redwall where they write new chronicles and tomes.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Matthias720

We want to make sure new members don't get confused. So most likely, we won't be making sweeping changes to the various board names.

Folgrimeo

It sounds like doing that would lead to "Mystery Meat Navigation" (you click something without knowing where it will take you). Although occasionally I'll think themed navigation is cool, more often than not it leads to confusion. There was an old "11th Hour" website where the different pages were different rooms of the mansion from the game, and what a page contained was relevant to the room's purpose. Art room would have screenshots, music room would have music, I think the library had puzzle solutions. Some other rooms you had no clue what you'd be getting, like the playroom or Templeton's bedroom. The website would shove things like downloads and links into whatever rooms were left, so nothing was intuitive.

I've definitely seen more boards that have fancy names for the forums than not. As usual they have descriptions under them saying what they are and it seems there's a common order to how they're organized. But these proposed names don't seem self-explanatory enough, seems you're shoving forums into different Redwall locations and hoping other people will think of reasons on how they're connected. Mossflower Woods doesn't strike me as character discussion, Main Gate seems more suited for introductory topics than websites, and I have no idea what the Abbey Pond has to do with birthdays.

Nightfire

Okay, then. It was just an idea.

Tiria Wildlough

Forum Location Names would make the whle thing look like a roleplaying forum. Roleplaying Forums confuse me. Still, it was a good idea, I'll give you that. :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

Whenever I read about The Cellars, I picture Kirby runnin' around. Hehehehehe.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Nightfire

Haha, very funny. POYO!!!!!!  :D

Coobreedan

I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Nightfire

Thanks a lot, Cobreedan. Now I'm hooked on Samus Aran AND Kirby!  :D

Coobreedan

As soon as I know it you'll be rightin' a Kirby fan-fic!

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I think meaningful conversation is winding down in this topic. Post only if you have something to add that is on topic and useful.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away