Woodlanders that we wish had lived (SPOILER ALERT)

Started by Ashleg, July 08, 2015, 04:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Witessss

it was no well thought out. Actually I was talking about Gruven and how he buried the shrews alive, but the eel incident was terrible, too.
the wwwiiiiiitttttttteeeeessssssss!

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Witessss

Sebias of Redwall

The log-a-log in "Mattimeo" was sad, and the Abbot in "Redwall".

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Witessss

that was super sad. that shrew traitor scum!!!

Keldor

What about Thura and Dingeye?

I know they were vermin, but they certainly weren't in the villian catagory, and I think mentioning them is within the spirit of the topic.  In any case, I never felt that they really deserved their fate.

Misfortune clung to those two like fleas.  After deserting Ferahgo's horde, they found their way to Redwall, where they were accepted.  They ended up killing someone by accident with a wayward arrow through a combination of recklessness and very bad luck.  Then they panicked and fled, after which one died from dryditch fever and the other was killed by Dethbrush, the fox Ferahgo sent after them to kill them for deserting.

It also seems likely that they were the source of the dryditch fever epidemic that plagued the abbey shortly thereafter, particularly given that Thura was the first one to show symptoms.

If they had not fled, Dethbrush would have followed them straight to the abbey, causing more problems.

For most of this, Thura and Dingeye were completely blameless, and even the accident mirrors an incident caused by a reckless Redwaller, one of the main protagonists of the book, no less, who, if his arrow had flown merely an inch lower, would have been guilty of accidentally killing the very same mouse that Thura and Dingeye killed.  (Perhaps BJ was trying to send a message here.  Weapons are not toys!   :D)

In any case, I would have liked to see them stay at the abbey.  So many of their flaws seemed to be the direct result of complete ignorance in the ways of woodlanders as well as the harsh reality of living life among vermin.  They didn't appear to have any real malice in their hearts.  It would have been interesting to see if they would have learned and grown into better beasts.  It would have also been interesting to see what would have happed later on when Dethbrush showed up at the abbey door demanding their heads.

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

The Grey Coincidence

*Revels in Keldor's wisdom and eloquence*
Although technically they're not woodlanders
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on May 27, 2019, 04:55:18 AM
*Revels in Keldor's wisdom and eloquence*
Although technically they're not woodlanders
^^^^^^ I second both of those... :)

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Skarzs

Quite a worthy first post, Keldor! Welcome to the forum.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tergen

I would have liked Skarlath the kestrel to live and continue being with Sunflash.

I would have liked to see what adventures Sunflash and Skarlath would still go on and what other cheeses Skarlath would have helped make. 

Dante8002

Anyone who said Rose I agree with. Now Martin won't have his own warrior race!
Yalahoo!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Dante8002 on December 17, 2019, 12:29:13 AM
Anyone who said Rose I agree with. Now Martin won't have his own warrior race!
I agree, but there is one problem... If she had lived, then Martin wouldn't have traveled to Mossflower and built Redwall Abbey.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Although fan fiction writers always find a reason. Such as Martin was always going to end up wandering, or he returned to the caves where he was born, maybe heard the story of Luke, then wanted to find St. Ninian's, meaning he ended up in Mossflower...

Something like that.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Booklover on January 01, 2020, 02:28:46 PM
Although fan fiction writers always find a reason. Such as Martin was always going to end up wandering, or he returned to the caves where he was born, maybe heard the story of Luke, then wanted to find St. Ninian's, meaning he ended up in Mossflower...

Something like that.
Hmm... That's kinda interesting. I guess someone should've mentioned that to BJ.  :P

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!