News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Last Person to Post Wins III

Started by Groddil, April 13, 2016, 02:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Booklover

Actually, to me you would have an accent. Because us English people speak English the English way, which by definition is the proper way, therefore we don't have an accent, but you do.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Kade Rivok

Proper he says.  Proper codswallop I say.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

Yes it did!

......as far as accents go I might have a very mild southern accent, despite growing up in the heart of the South.
Quote from: Booklover on November 08, 2019, 05:15:33 PM
Actually, to me you would have an accent. Because us English people speak English the English way, which by definition is the proper way, therefore we don't have an accent, but you do.
.....You do realize that is the same logic as "Almost everyone uses France's system of measurement, because France came up with the metric system."
One only speaks a language properly if they omit slang from their vernacular. This wholeheartedly includes English slang.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Booklover

Quote from: Kade Rivok on November 08, 2019, 06:11:49 PM
Proper he says.  Proper codswallop I say.
I'm a girl, so it would be she.

Kade Rivok

*is embarrassed*  ...Did you change the gender on there at some point?  I could have sworn it used to have a different symbol there.... (I only really look at it the first time someone posts -_-)
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Verdauga

Funny thing is, it also happened to Jarky and Shisteer.

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

The Skarzs

But which one is the true accent? There are dozens of accents in England, never mind the origin of the English language and the change of the dominant peoples in the country. ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Verdauga on November 08, 2019, 08:47:32 PM
.....You do realize that is the same logic as "Almost everyone uses France's system of measurement, because France came up with the metric system."
One only speaks a language properly if they omit slang from their vernacular. This wholeheartedly includes English slang.
No, that's like saying "The french way of pronouncing a french word is the proper way". Booklover is entirely correct in her claim.
Also, slang can actually be what defines a language from other languages. The difference between talking Kiwi and talking New Zealand English, for example. Kiwi uses kiwi slang, while New Zealand English is just English the kiwi way.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

The Skarzs

But who made the word? :o Maybe they intended to have it pronounced differently!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

shisteer of nothing much

My point exactly! The English people made the language so they should choose how it's pronounced.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Although even we argue about some pronunciations.

Scone (rhymes with gone) or scone (rhymes with cone) for example.

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

The Skarzs

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on November 09, 2019, 09:39:17 AM
My point exactly! The English people made the language so they should choose how it's pronounced.
But we use French words too.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Verdauga

The English language wasn't really made; it was collected. We use Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, et seq. in the language.