How did you first find out about Redwall?

Started by Matthias720, June 10, 2011, 09:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinaFey123/Tomthetomatoe

McDonald's Big Mac Nutrition
Calories  Fat    Carbs   Protein   Sodium
540               29g        43g        25g   1040mg
>:(

Mariel

Quote from: Matthias720 on June 13, 2011, 01:22:43 PM
Quote from: The Lady Shael on June 13, 2011, 06:35:39 AM
gosh, I still get chills watching the openings of the episodes, all these years later.
I get that too. It's probably because the show is just so awesome. 8)

Funny, I've always liked the books MUCH better than the show.

Log a Log Grenn

The opening theme tune is my dads ringtone :)
Redwall is the best thing that ever happened to me

Osu

Quote from: The Lady Shael on June 13, 2011, 06:35:39 AM
All of the Redwall TV series are on youtube. :) (but shh don't tell anyone I'm pretty sure this isn't legal =p)

Eeee! Thank you!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

hex

I had trouble reading when I was young. Then one day my brothers brought home the Redwall audiobook, my brothers discouraged me from listening to it. Saying I would find it "scary. I never did, not once. I loved Redwall, without it I might never have gotten so into reading (and I now read a great deal). Though it did earn me that most awful of American nicknames, a "book nerd" :P
Wasn't fantastic to listen to the writer narrating his own story, just how Dickens would have done it!

Superdreuzel

Some guy who was in my class, final year of elementary school, came to me with the third part of Mossflower (the dutch version, which were published as three seperate books) and said: `You need to read this, you will like it.'
`So I started to read the third part of Mossflower, and I did it again, and again. Man, I was hooked! I spend the next week searching in local libraries to find the first two parts. Then, after some more time passed, I found Redwall and Mariel hidden away in a big library. I read them, and I was even more hooked. I found out about the other 18 Redwall books much later on, but they were in English. English is no problem for me, so I bought every book in English as well.'
Hmm ... Dolohov ...

Wot Wot!

I just discovered Brian Jacques in the past year.  I was kind of sick of the books I was reading, and just wanted to hear a darn good story again, and somehow stumbled across Brian.  I think I saw some youtube videos of him speaking, and I thought, "This guy is too awesome not to pass up his books."  I wrote a review/tribute about Brian soon after he passed, which you can find at
http://www.rabbitroom.com/2011/02/medicine-for-the-recovering-english-major/.

Tah for now, Wot, Wot!
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

The Lady Shael

That was an amazing tribute! I wish you had been around earlier, you would have been great on the Terrouge staff (but if we can get enough active fans together I'm sure it'd be possible to revive it).
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Matthias720

Quite good, Wot Wot. You successfully captured the essence of Mr. J in a way that resonates with everyone. Two thumbs up! :)

Mariel

Thanks Wot Wot, there is another interview with Brian on iTunes.  He tells exactly the same jokes, just as you described in your awesome article!

Firehawke

I was in Waldenbooks (I think it was my senior year of high school) and I saw a sign advertising the show on PBS.  I watched the show and fell in love with the series.  I picked up Redwall at Barnes and Noble (it was the 10th anniversary edition) and the rest is history!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Wot Wot!

Quote from: The Lady Shael on June 14, 2011, 03:29:11 PM
That was an amazing tribute! I wish you had been around earlier, you would have been great on the Terrouge staff (but if we can get enough active fans together I'm sure it'd be possible to revive it).

Ah, Lady!  So you were a part of that great publication!  I perused it online a few times, thought it was wonderful!  Great job- and here's to getting it revived again!
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

I don't remember where and how I got it, but I remember that the first book in the series that I ever read was Martin the Warrior.

I've currently read every book in the series except the first and last ones.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Astrognash

I discovered Redwall when I was eight. My mom had gotten Taggerung for my dad to read, and I was in their room looking at their books. I saw Taggerung and looked at the back, and asked if I could read it. My mom told me that it was part of a series and that I should read the first one first. So a few days later she bought me a copy of Redwall. I devoured it, and the rest is history.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
"How great in number are the little minded men." - Titus Maccius Plautus
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Hi. I like Marching Band, Redwall, and Latin.

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Wot Wot! on June 14, 2011, 07:09:56 PM
Quote from: The Lady Shael on June 14, 2011, 03:29:11 PM

Ah, Lady!  So you were a part of that great publication!  I perused it online a few times, thought it was wonderful!  Great job- and here's to getting it revived again!

Ohh I'm flattered, but I was never really a part of the staff. :) I was an active forum member many years ago, nothing more. If anyone is interested we can try contacting some of the old staff members to see what it would take to get it running again; if not, there's always the option of starting a new Redwall publication!
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/