Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Roleplay thread v.2.0!

Started by Ashleg, February 12, 2016, 11:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groddil

"Sounds good to me, mate."
One-Ear gripped a paddle and pushed away from the ship. Only Duncan and Rayne's logboat remained ready to rescue Rapshade. Mortembell threw a line to her son.
"Can't paddle as well with two wounded. Give us a tow!"
One-Ear nodded and tied the line to the stern of his logboat.
"Soon as Duncan an' Rain get 'ere, let's go."

Ashleg

Every fiber of Duncan's being wanted to push the boat away from the ship, but he had to remind himself that both his wife Mixy and his daughter Mixy were dead and that leaving Rapshade to drown would not change that.
Before the ferret could do or say something else, the hare leaned over the edge of the boat and snagged him roughly by the collar of his coat, yanking him in. The longboat rocked back and fourth, threatening to overturn with each movement. Luckily, Duncan was able to steady it.
He pulled Rapshade up and pressed a paddle into his paws.
"Row." He growled. "Or else I'll throw you overboard."
Then the hare pushed away from the sinking form of the Shadowcaster.
"Is everybeast off?" He called.

Groddil

Mortembell called over to Duncan.
"Every woodlander still alive is on one o' these boats. Let's get back to the Abbey."

OOC: Can we do a timeskip?

Ashleg

Groddil

OOC: Certainly!

BIC:
*CLANK* *CHINK*
Mortembell snapped a shackle onto Rapshade's footpaw and turned a key. The vixen looped the chain around a heavy pillar and threw the weighted end into a large, empty cask.
"Like to see you get out o' that one, Swifty. You're too dangerous to let go, so I hope you enjoy living out your days in this dark damp cellar. I don't believe you deserve such luxury, but what do I know? Don't cause trouble now, or I may accidentally drop your supper on the steps. So slippery..."
Mortembell cackled as she returned to Great Hall, where Redwallers stood around, some solemn, some wild with cheers. For this was a day of mixed feelings, the time for a funeral then a feast. One particular mole stood out to her, blowing quietly on a handkerchief.
"Hey, Drubble. What is it?"
The mole wrinkled his face at the vixen.
"'Ello zurr. Oi 'adn't noticed 'ee. They told oi that since Fergybar be's gone, oi'm the new cellarmole! Oi's gurtly excited, but saddened at 'ow oi got t'be yurr."
Mortembell patted Drubble lightly on his velvety head.
"Don't dwell on the past. Look forwards, we have a victory feast, and you get t'supply the drinks!"
Drubble shrugged.
"Oi guess that bees true. Thankee koindly, zurr."
The newly-appointed cellarmole trundled off in the direction of the cellars. The vixen rounded a corner and found herself face to face with One-Ear and Chrysanthe holding a whispered conversation.
"What are you two up to?"
One-Ear could not look his mother in the face. He gave a small wink in Chrysanthe's direction and walked off with his mother. The fox snatched his katana from a wall and sheathed it on his back.
"I nearly got you and Chrysanthe killed because I was too selfish. I cared more about killing that stearsrat, and I destroyed the ship to do it. I cannot stay here, I must leave."
Mortembell placed a paw on One-Ear's shoulder.
"Son..."
"NO mother! I cannot stay here. We are considered heroes, us that defeated Rapshade. I am no hero."
The young fox shoved past his mother and straight out of the Abbey. He quietly slipped through the gate and into Mossflower. A sturdy-looking squirrel sat in the boughs of a tall tree looking bored.
"Ready, One-Ear?"
The fox nodded.
"Let's get away from the Abbey. Every minute we waste is a little further that Muddle gets away."
The two beasts fled into the Mossflower Woods, in hot pursuit of Muddle and Begskin, the escaped prisoners.

Ashleg

Chrysanthe smiled and slung her arm about Mortembell's shoulders. She still looked like she was recovering from the fight, with bandages and scratches, but she was recovering nonetheless.
"Let him go," she said, walking back towards the Great Hall. "He'll be fine; I know it. Anyway, where have you been?"

Fangfang raced around the corner, nearly crashing into them. The rat yelped and spun on his paws.
"Oh, sorry Mortembell." He grinned and gave an excited little hop.
"Duncan's about t' beat his all-time scone eatin' record, come see!"

Chrysanthe groaned and allowed Fang to lead her into the room, chuckling, "He is? That great furry lump! He's not gonna get sick again, is he?"

The rat snickered to himself. "Th' Abbot an' I think he is, but Duncan claims otherwise."

Groddil

Mortembell chuckled as she explained herself to Chrysanthe.
"I had to chain up Rapshade. Then I had a little chat with Drubble. Sad thing what happened to Fergbar, 'specially since his own assistant was the one that killed 'im! Anyway, you're lookin' a lot better. Any idea how Skipper's doin'? Y'ask me, he's probably up already."
At that moment, further conversation was delayed as Fangfang raced around the corner. Mortembell rolled her eyes in mock severity at news of Duncan.
"Rayne has enough trouble on her hands as it is. I'd hate to be him if he does get sick. At least he's handling himself well. Wonder how Bracklew's doin'?"

Ashleg

"Oh, alright. And I didn't know Fergbar that well, but I can agree that that's horrible--Watch it, Fangfang!" Chrysanthe yelped and stumbled after the rat when he grabbed her by the arm and raced towards the table.
"I dunno bout Bracklew, haven't seen 'im," Fang said, giggling when Chrysanthe let out a gasp and ran around the table, towards Duncan.
"How many?" She asked.
"Two-hundred forty," Duncan chuckled.
"Duncan, for goodness' sakes! You're going to eat the entire Abbey if ya keep goin' on like that!"

Fang grinned and turned to Mortembell.
"So! What did ye do with Rapshade?" He asked quietly, as to not disturb the fun the Redwallers were having. Last time he'd seen him, the ferret had told him everything he needed to know.
Fangfang had been shocked, but not mad. He was actually quite relieved to know that he wasn't just imagining things about the past.

Groddil

Mortembell wiped the shocked expression caused by Duncan off her face and turned to Fangfang.
"Chained him up in the cellar. Wrapped it 'round a pillar and threw it in a big cask. Don't want 'im gettin' away like Muddle did..."
The vixen retrieved a plate from Duncan's table and snatched one of his scones.
"You don't need all of those."
Mortembell scooped a small slice of pasty onto the plate and poured a goblet of water.
"I gotta go feed Rapshade. You can come with me, if you want."

Ashleg

"Er, who now? That creepy eyeless spikedog?" Fang asked, sticking his tongue out at Duncan when he noticed the hare shoot Mortembell a very hurt look.
"He's gonna hunt ya down fer not lettin' him beat 'is record, y'know. He'll have t' do this all over again!" He paused and rested a paw on the table.
"I sure will," Duncan teased, standing up. "I need more scones over here!"

Fangfang shuddered.
"...That is, if'n he doesn't die first. Anyway, Mortembell, I, er, think I'll pass on seein' him this time."

Hickory

As Duncan was madly stuffing scones in his mouth, a heavy paw descended on his shoulder. Ava looked down at the gluttonous hare. "How many more scones to go, Duncan? You've been eating quite a lot since this morning."
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

Duncan gave Ava a venomous glare.
"'Course somebeast like you has to go and ruin the fun, Ava. I just need fifteen more!"

Grant leaned over and tapped Ava on the shoulder, whispering, "Ava...Let him do whatever it is that makes him get his mind off the battle as long as it's over the moment he starts just looking sick."

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Isn't Rapshade like sick? Wasn't he gong to die anyway? Man I set up a way for Rapshade to go out like a boss on his sinking ship, but instead he's going to die in a hole coughing up blood, and eating prison food. I guess its the punishment he deserves...

BIC:

Moving slowly from patient to patient Rayne gave a comforting word here, and a rewrapped a bandage there. It was slow work, and the whimper of the wounded was a terrible screeching in her ears. The squirrel healer continued her depressing work, forcing a smile to stay on her face. Eventually she came to the final bed, the one she had ben avoiding.

"Hoy marm, thought ye would never make it o'er here." The big otter wriggled his nose in an amusing way making his whiskers scrunch up. Rayne chuckled tapping the otter on the nose.

"You ought to be more carful, I know you've been trying to stand. I'll have to tie you down if you keep getting up, you'll just make it worse." The otter's cheeky grin flickered for a moment, then he smiled again laughing the worry away.

"Ha, aye, though it still be hurtin', an' I'd rather lope it off then deal wit' it any longer."

"Already told you Skip, we can't just cut off half your back, right shoulder, and neck. A beast doesn't survive that kind of operation."

"Aye," Skipper said his face growing solemn. "Ow long do I 'ave Rayne? An' no lies, give me th' truth."

Rayne wiped away a tear keeping the forced smile on her face. "A season, maybe two." Skipper nodded as if he had already guessed. The otter burst out laughing shaking his head in mirth. A few of the patients looked over angrily as if there was nothing to laugh at in a Infirmary full of wounded creatures.

"I was gettin' on anyway. Go 'ave fun at th' feast Rayne. Don' worry yerself o'er this ol' waterdog." Rayne nodded pulling away from the bed and pushing the door open. Giving the still grinning otter one last look Rayne descended the stairs, and joined in. Laughing a little too loud at Duncan's antics, and playing along with the dibbuns.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Out on the lawns next to the pond two males sat finishing up their cravings. The first, a tough looking shrew was shaking his head putting a few fancy touches on his wooden training sword.

"Glad ye got to know 'im a bit before 'e died. Always was a bit of a loner that son o' mine. Now ye sure ye don't need help." Bracklew looked up, his left paw was pressed against he nearly finished training sword but he was having difficulty carving it out due to his paw being practically useless.

"I got it." He said stubbornly pulling the whittling knife across the wood sending a few shaving floating down into the ponds still water.

"They're having a feast you know. T'would do you good to make new friends. Ye'll have to get over it someday. The others, they're already moving on. You ain't the only one hurtin', it was me son that died."

"You ready?" Bracklew interrupted finishing his sword. The shrew nodded standing up twirling his blade into the ready position. "This will help me too, I have to be ready, even with my injury I have to be ready to defend this Abbey. To protect my friends. I failed before, I wont fail again."

"Aye, well then lets begin." The two began, the shrew instructing, the squirrel learning. Occasionally they clashed, mostly they repeated phases over and over again. Alone, there on the pond the two trained.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Groddil

OOC: I think this was Ashleg's plan from the start.

BIC: Mortembell shrugged at Fangfang and followed Drubble down into the cellars. She placed the food and water on the floor.
"Eat up, Rapshade. I have better things to be doing, bye!"
The vixen smiled smugly at the ferret and walked off.

OOC: Give me a yell when you're all ready for the epilogue post.

Ashleg

OOC-
It was indeed my plan. *chuckles* He does deserve it, but there are many things you don't know...
That you'll find out in the sequel.
IC-
Rapshade opened his eyes with a grimace, glancing over at the food.
"I'm not hungry," he mumbled, loud enough for Mortembell to hear as she approached the door. "Please, just take it and go."
OOC-
I shall.