News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Signs that You Have Writer's Block

Started by Nightfire, September 26, 2011, 08:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightfire

Okay, I got this idea from Katie Sullivan, A.K.A. Snowfur. And yes, the first ten are stolen from her, but the rest are mine. I decided to make this topic because I myself am the author of 10 books, and know what it's like to have writer's block. I've actually done some of these, including number 8.

#1: You've been staring at the cursor so long the screen saver kicks in.
#2: You've been staring at the cursor so long you begin to think there are little people living in your computer, trying to communicate with you via Morse Code.
#3: You start talking to the cursor.
#4: You type: "And then the planet blew up and they all died. The end."
#5: You can't even think of anytihng to add to the list of Signs you have Writer's Block.
#6: You decide to give up writing and become an alpaca herder in the Pacific Northwest.
#7: You decide to submit the book to the publisher the way it is and pretend it was written by an author who died before he or she could finish the manuscript.
#8: Your heart starts beating in time to  the blinking cursor.
#9: There are cobwebs on the keyboard.
#10: You waste time writing a list of signs you have writer's block!
#11: You get frustrated and start insulting the computer in Klingon.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Folgrimeo

Yeah, #1 happens to me all the time. #4 is sometimes solved by having ninjas burst through the walls for no reason or pointing a gun at some character's head (I tried the ninja trick, then took it out because I had no idea what to do with the ninjas). I'm currently in writer's block, took my notebook to bed last night but fell asleep instantly, so let's see if I can add anything...

#12: Your story starts breaking the fourth wall when it's been completely serious up to this point.
#13: Your characters start pitching ideas to you in your mind.
#14: You start singing or tapping your fingers to whatever music you have playing at the time.
#15: You fall asleep in your chair.
#16: You hop onto TVTropes. (then the next thing you know it's 3:00am)

Nightfire

Ha, let's make this epic, shall we? I'm ALWAYS getting writer's block.

#17: You have painted random patterns all over your keyboard with the printer ink.
#18: You start making a whirring sound in imitation of your computer.
#19: You start typing Beaverspeak, in the hopes that it will make more sense than what your story is saying in English.
#20: You stock up on felt, pipe cleaners, and markers, then decorate your mouse to look like Martin the Warrior, because you don't have anything else to do.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

I do number 19 all the time. :D

21. You get so bored that you type swear words, then erase them and hope no one saw. XD
22. You give up and open up a new document in which you insert pictures of animals.
23. You stare at the screen in a daze, hypnotized by its bright light.

And yes, I do all of those. XDD
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

#24: You start to dream of a world in which computers don't exist.
#25: You start typing in Molespeech, in the hopes that it makes more sense than either Beaverspeak or English.
#26: You type in: "And then they were eaten by a dragon and they all  lived happily ever after. The end."

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I do #12. And somewhat #11, though not really.
Klingon. The language that sounds like you're coughing up a hairball.

#27: You start tapping the heartbeat of a Time Lord.
#28: You find yourself always going to watch something on Youtube.
#29: You write that you have writer's block into the story via situations you can't seem to expand.

29 gets something written, just doesn't add to the story.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

James Gryphon

#30: The blank window and text caret are burned into your monitor.
« Subject to editing »

Redwall Musician

I don't get writer block, at least not yet.

#31. You start sining and start writing a random song in the middle of a dramatic scene, which ruins the whole chapter.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Tiria Wildlough

32. You type in 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah'.
33. You actually realize that you have writer's block. XD
34. You start making crazy emoticons that no one has ever heard of before.
35. You jump from one story to another, and write about a word in each of them.
36. You give up on writing and sing along with the music that's playing instead.
37. You give up and start playing with the screensaver.
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

#38: You decide to steal another author's work, even tohugh it's illegal.
#39: You give up and decide to become a mime. (Oh, that would be horrendous!)
#40: You fake your own death, just to avoid having to face the dreaded computer.

Mattio

winifred

50. you've had writers block for sooo long that when you snap out of it you type so fast that you make unimaginable grammatical-spelling-etc. errors and have to start over forgetting what you've written and producing a new case of writers block. ;D
51. you read other fanfics instead (maybe you'll get some ideas) ;) ;D
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Tiria Wildlough

52. When you know you'd give absolutely anything just to be able to WRITE SOMETHING ALREADY. >.<
I'm not a hipster.

winifred

Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Redwallfan7

Can I join in?

53. When you start to write tongue twisters and jokes that only seem funny to you

54. When you type the same letter over and over again
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers