News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Rogue Crew Casualty Count?

Started by Dotti, July 30, 2011, 02:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotti

Has anyone else found the number of casualties in the Rogue Crew unusually light???  There were the four young hares killed at the beginning, the hare killed by the pygmy shrews, Uncle Wullow, Swiffo, and two hares and two otters that were killed in the final battle.  Plus the guosim shrews.  If you say that the guosim lost twenty, that's only 30... seems a bit light to me...
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Osu

I think it's just a play on the old cliche of the good guys winning despite innumerable odds, myself. Given the Rogue Crew didn't have any real armies like other books, the death toll wasn't terribly abnormal... all my opinion only, of course. ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Folgrimeo

I beg to differ. The number of deaths may or may not have been light (also it seems like you're ignoring vermin deaths), but their brutality made it seem a lot worse than it was. Also, 11 goodbeast deaths not counting the Guosim, that's more than most Redwall books isn't it? Usually you might get 3 deaths. In this book, it seemed goodbeasts and vermin were dropping like flies.

Captain Tammo

I think it was fairly light, but still, it was a great adventure!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Osu

EDIT:
Derp, Osu can't read usernames. XD It must come with being old. Yes. That's my excuse. Yeeaahhh...

Kindly disregard the former meat of this post. Move along, move along, nothing to see here... ;)

Tammo: Agreed, it was a great adventure! Nice to see another visit to the north, as brief as it was. ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Martha Braebuck

Quote from: Dotti on July 30, 2011, 02:06:21 AM
Has anyone else found the number of casualties in the Rogue Crew unusually light???  There were the four young hares killed at the beginning, the hare killed by the pygmy shrews, Uncle Wullow, Swiffo, and two hares and two otters that were killed in the final battle.  Plus the guosim shrews.  If you say that the guosim lost twenty, that's only 30... seems a bit light to me...

yes, it kind of was. But there was too many sudden and big deaths, so I was okay with that.  8)
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

Dotti

Yeah, I wasn't counting vermin deaths.  The characters who died just seemed to be not as well known for the most part.  I have to say, though I saw Swiffo's death coming.  I just had a feeling he had to die.  The Rogue Crew was a really awesome book!   SO much better than the previous three!
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Lutra

I just finished reading Rogue Crew and I find that the death count seems normal for a Redwall book (including vermin deaths...which is just about all vermin metioned).  I really was bummed to read about Swiffo and his demise like that.  I think its because I disliked Ruggan because he came off as a brash teenager when you read how he acts....he grows up of course, but Swiffo was very much the anti-Ruggan.

Maybe the biggest surprise ought to be the one who didn't die, survived, and supposedly lived on peacefully--Crumdun.  How many vermin get that lucky in a Redwall book?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Log-a-Log

Yeah, the only other one that I can think of is Ashleg in Mossflower
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Lutra

I thought Ashleg was killed by that eagle thing that roamed around Kotir.  He didn't survive.....did he?  ???
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Dotti

No, Ashleg survived.  Argular had always wanted to taste pine marten, but Ashleg got away without eaten.  Am I remembering wrong, or was Ashleg rather decent, kind of like Lord Verdauga???
~Brian Jacques

Lutra

I don't recall Ashleg doing anything decent, given his position in the story.  He didn't seem to do much outside of messing up and upsetting Tsarmina often.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Dotti

True, but did he do anything really bad, like order somebeat's death or something???  I haven't read Mossflower in forever, but I seem to remember that Ashleg was just kind of a leftover from Verdauga's reign who really didn't do much except get in Tsarmina's way.  I think he's kind of one of those guys who is in with the bad guys so everyone assumes he's bad, but he really doesn't do anything evil...
~Brian Jacques

James Gryphon

The only thing I can think of that Ashleg did that would qualify as particularly bad was his presumed minor role in poisoning Lord Greeneyes; other than that, he doesn't do anything that stands out beyond anyone else as "evil", and he did walk away from the horde:

Quote from: MossflowerAshleg slipped through the gates and began walking south--away from Tsarmina, Mossflower and dreams of ambitious conquest. Maybe there was somewhere under a different sky where he could find a new way of life; maybe somewhere there were friends waiting who knew how to live simply, without delusions of grandeur.

While I'm not sure this is strong enough to classify Ashleg as a gray character at the end of Mossflower, it isn't a bad case for it.
« Subject to editing »

Dotti

Yes, if he isn't a gray character, at the very least he's not one of the worst bad characters.  And while he isn't one of the likeable villains (like Grubbage, Romsca, Blaggut) his comment seems to imply he's looking for a peaceful life.
~Brian Jacques