Autism Awareness: How do you feel about it?

Started by Redwallfan7, April 04, 2013, 10:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This question is about the day that focuses on those affected with autism and related disorders

It's great. It raises awareness and reminds those with autism to be stronger
24 (80%)
I hate it, it's stupid
2 (6.7%)
It's ok
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Hickory

I read a Guardian article about an autistic child who befriended Siri...
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

My little brother has high-functioning autism. It's more common than people think, but it can be hard to distinguish it from what people think is just bad behavior. Of course, some of my brother's problems are his behavior, but couple that with sensory and communication disorders, it's difficult. But we've been learning to deal with it. That doesn't make it any easier. . . it just makes us aware of it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Eulaliaaa!

Is this an Autism Awareness month or something? It's cool that something like this exists, though I've never heard of this Awareness thing before. I didn't even know what Autism and Aspergers was until I was diagnosed with it  :P
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Skyblade

Not that I know of, I just revived the thread.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Eulaliaaa!

Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Morgazath

I myself have autism and several other things. Although autism makes people different than others, even those who have it as well, it truly makes someone unique. They see the world differently than others in amazing ways. Autism can change someone's mind and thinking process good or bad, I've seen both.....the bad is terrible and I feel sorry for them.

The good, however is amazing! Take me for example. I can come up with anything. Like when I look into the clouds, my mind works like a picture and create anything. It's not just clouds, though. It works with any pattern.

Many other people with autism can be amazing, be it good or ill. With help, however, people with autism can break through the autistic barrier and use those abilities to help them through the world.
"The power of darkness is mine. At last I am free to reign destruction as I please. This world will be consumed, and you will be crushed. I am Mozaru, Lord of Night and Shadow." -Excerpt from The Chronicles of Light and Darkness. (A book I'm writing.)

Eulaliaaa!

^ I've heard that people with Autism and Aspergers have an imagination like no other. That's probably a good thing for me if I'm gonna be an author, authors need to write interesting books  :P

Angelbunny

Angel: [coughs loudly]
    Fluttershy: [gasp] Because of that giant cloud of scary black smoke? I'll take that as a... yes.

Wylder Treejumper

I know lots of autistic/aspergers kids. They take a bit of getting used to, but they're usually amazing people.

That goes for most people with disabilities, actually.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.