News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Video of Brian!

Started by Captain Tammo, December 11, 2014, 01:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Hey everyone!

I searched around a bit on the general discussion boards and did not find a topic that was like this, so I figured I'd make one!

What this topic will be is a place where we can post stuff that Brian himself has done, particularly videos of him speaking and such, as well as pictures from meet and greets and all the sorts.

Way back in 2008, I attended "Bookfest" at the New York Public Library in New York City to see Mr. Jacques himself speak as the keynote speaker for part of his Doomwyte tour. I got to sit next to him and talk to him for about twenty minutes before he went up to speak and it was amazing to get to know him a little bit! Somehow, I found the official video of the speech he gave online! It's about an hour long, and he tells a whole bunch of stories and explains where a lot of his ideas came from as a writer, so it's a great thing to put on and listen to while you're doing work, want to watch a good speaker to learn a bit about speech delivery, or just have some time to kill!

Some cool things that we see in this video are where he got a lot of the names for different characters, personal anecdotes that aren't in any of the other videos I've been able to find online, why he loves talking about food in so many of his stories, what sorts of things he liked to read as a kid, how he goes about writing, and a bunch more!

If you listen closely, you can hear a part where he says "I was talking to some friends down there, and they asked me how I write my books...." That's me!

But if you listen even closer, you can hear him reference something else: The Rogue Crew! He briefly says that he's currently writing a new book about otters at around 42 minutes in. This months before the Sable Quean is even released and at least a year before we learn about The Rogue Crew officially! I kind of wish that I caught onto it when I was there... But anyway, I'm rambling now. Here's the video! (it's not youtube, so you'll have to just follow the link, sorry!)

http://www.nypl.org/audiovideo/keynote-address-brian-jacques
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ungatt Trunn

I wish that I was able to meet BJ... alas, I became a Redwall fan after he had passed away :'(

Life is too short to rush through it.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: LordTBT on December 11, 2014, 06:43:07 AM
We've cataloged a lot here:

http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Brian_Jacques_Audio_and_Video

Huh, wish i saw that earlier! That's a pretty awesome list you've got going there!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Russano the Wise

Yeah, that is a great list. I saw some of those before and just now watched a couple more. Brian Jacques really seemed to have a great personality and he was an entertaining speaker. It would have been interesting to hear him speaking live but, like Ungatt, I only started reading the Redwall books after he passed away. 
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior