News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Possible rare redwall book, help me figure the worth?

Started by blackphantom1412, September 02, 2014, 05:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackphantom1412

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I just cant find where else to put this.

So a few days ago I was browsing a shop called Liverpool reed and I found a few books by good old brian. I bought a few including a copy of the sable queen to read later. When I looked over it later though I realised I not only had an advanced gallery version of the book but a signed one at that!

This was not what I expected to find by far. Its in near perfect condition bar a bit of a curling on one corner from its time in the shop. It's spine is completely uncracked and I've not found a mark on any of the pages. I really don't know what this is worth and was hoping any redwall collectors here would mind helping me figure out just what I have here. Images below.

Front cover and size comparison to normal books in the set. The cover is also not embossed.

Inner cover, sadly has £6 in very light pencil from the bookstore owner putting down his price

To Fred Happy reading mate
these are at the top of chapters rather than illustrations. I assume they weren't done yet

Albrithr

I'm sorry I can't tell you what it is worth, but that is awesome. 
It really is.
And who is Fred?

James Gryphon

Unfortunately, I know relatively little about the rare books trade myself, but this article on the subject might be of interest.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that you might be able to find someone who's willing to take it for $10 to $15 over the regular price. Mr. Jacques is not such a famous author that that I would ever expect more than a two digit price range. The autograph makes it more interesting, although some people might be turned off by the fact that it's personalized -- it all depends. However, as I said I know very little about this subject, so please don't make any decisions based on what I have to say about it.

LordTBT, the Redwall wiki admin, probably knows more about different editions of these books than anyone else -- if you're interested in finding out more about this, I'd suggest sending an email, or a PM (he has an account here), to him. He might be able to shed a little light on the subject.
« Subject to editing »

Tim Churchmouse

I would say around 10-15 pounds because of the signature and early release
This is your referral link!
PLEEEEEASE CLICK MULTIPLYFYING TIMES!!!!!!!

blackphantom1412

I have no idea who fred is sadly the shop owners called john. Also ive been seeing signed mainstream redwall books go for £200 if they are in good condition.

Tam and Martin

Wow! That is cool!

I do not know what they are worth though. I would suggest doing what James Gryphon suggested though, asking Lord TBT.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

LordTBT

Well, let's sort out the first thing - it's not rare, as it was published recently. I have a copy myself. ;)

Generally all books that are published receive an advance galley. It becomes rare when many, many years have passed. For example, I also have an advance galley for Redwall. I've only ever seen this one copy of it.

What makes this signed galley interesting is that Mr. Jacques stopped personalizing items to fans years and years ago. This Fred fellow was lucky indeed to have gotten it signed TO HIM, and I'm surprised he no longer has it.

Generally, personalization takes away from value though. For future reference to anyone collecting autographs that you want to have a lot of value down the road, have the signer add the date and the location. Let's say Bob Smith was signing your book, and you want it to have high resale value in the future, you'd want him to sign it "Bob Smith, 9/12/2014, Los Angeles, California" or something along those lines. That adds a lot.

If you want it to have high personal, emotional, and sentimental value - request they sign it out to you, of course.

The six quid pencil is going to take away from value too.

As someone else said, perhaps $10-15 over the retail price of the book - if you wanted to sell it - is the most you're likely going to get.

Signed Mr. Jacques items aren't worth a lot money-wise yet, and anyone selling anything for triple digits is certainly ripping you off. You may have seen people TRYING to sell the books for that cost, but I can assure you they aren't being SOLD for that.

Lutra

To think Fred sold his signed copy! :o

You have something cool there, probably not super valuable.  I'd keep it, even if you aren't Fred.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Idk about Brian stopping personalized autographs so long ago. I managed to get a personal signature when I met him (best day of my life XD) on his Doomwyte tour. But that may have just been because of having personally been there. I'm not sure if he did it for online orders before though.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

LordTBT

Quote from: Captain Tammo on September 14, 2014, 02:14:18 AM
Idk about Brian stopping personalized autographs so long ago. I managed to get a personal signature when I met him (best day of my life XD) on his Doomwyte tour. But that may have just been because of having personally been there. I'm not sure if he did it for online orders before though.

Consider yourself very lucky. I met him in person twice, and personalizing was not allowed. He stopped personalizing a long time ago due to arthritis.

Gonff the Mousethief

I would say keep them for what they are worth to you, then in a few years you might make even more money! Oh, and lordBTB I read about one of the times you met him on the wiki  :D
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Lutra on September 13, 2014, 08:42:56 PM
To think Fred sold his signed copy! :o

You have something cool there, probably not super valuable.  I'd keep it, even if you aren't Fred.

I have t agree with both points, Lutra. ^^

blackphantom1412

Thanks for the help overall all, and I will be keeping the book I was just curious.
I had no idea he stopped personal signing, me and my sister got a signed copy of ledgend of luke back when he was uncle Brian to us and I had no idea he stopped doing it, though it was clear to anyone seeing him when he went out his hands were bad even if he didn't try to show it to the kids,
Regardless sorry i didnt look back on this and thank you all for your comments~