News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Insane Asylum.

Started by The Skarzs, March 12, 2014, 10:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Well, I did try to read the main trilogy once, but I got bored. I do like The Hobbit book, but it isn't as actiony as the movies, and they spend a lot of time wandering in Mirkwood and looking for the door into Erebor. Plus, the dwarves strike me as kind of selfish. :P Anyway, that's just my opinion. You can ignore me.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Delthion

Well, the Dwarves are selfish, they are greedy. And for the getting bored for the trilogy: HOW IN THE WORLD DID THAT HAPPEN?!!! DO YOU FIND WATCHING PAINT DRY TO BE INTERESTING?!  ;D ;D ;D Hehe. Anyway, you can see that I believe that no greater piece of literature exists on this planet.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jukka the Sling

Well, I'll probably try again. It might be more interesting now that I've seen the movies.

And that's just it - the dwarves are greedy, which is what I don't like about them in the book. I like the movie versions 'cause Thorin and everyone in general is more honorable. Plus, Kili is insanely good-looking. ;D
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Izeroth

I kind of hate how they made Azog live. There was no reason to keep Azog alive; the plot would have worked just fine with Bolg. I also dislike what they were trying to do with all the elf-mirkwood-war stuff. This isn't a movie about wood elves, darnit! It's supposed to be about :-X dwarves! Why do we need to focus on the elves so much!? Aaaaaaeegrh! Anyway, I hope they don't mess up the story anymore than they already have. Keep the story together, you fool of a Took!

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 28, 2014, 01:50:08 AM
Well, I'll probably try again. It might be more interesting now that I've seen the movies.

And that's just it - the dwarves are greedy, which is what I don't like about them in the book. I like the movie versions 'cause Thorin and everyone in general is more honorable. Plus, Kili is insanely good-looking. ;D
YOU FOOOOOOL! How dare you question Tolkien?! D:<
Okay, well, you need to think about it: In the book, the dwarves are actually more normal because they do show greed, fear, anger etc.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 28, 2014, 03:28:44 AM

YOU FOOOOOOL! How dare you question Tolkien?! D:<
Okay, well, you need to think about it: In the book, the dwarves are actually more normal because they do show greed, fear, anger etc.
How do we know what a dwarf's 'normal' is? ;D But honestly, the book portrays them as focused almost entirely on retrieving the treasure, and getting revenge on Smaug or even reclaiming Erebor seems to be a secondary motive. They're so treasure-obsessed. :P

Søren

OK...SORENS PASED OUT. IM IN CONTROL NOW.
*CHEWS ON BARS*

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

Yyyyeaaahh. . . good luck with that. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Russa Nodrey

Yeah, he's right. I'm in charge! ;D
Freddy

Maudie

I had an alter ego once, I think. Anyone remember who it was?
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Russa Nodrey

I wasn't around then....
Freddy

Faiyloe

I understand that the books are really really long. I advise waiting a few years and then try picking them up again. I Didn't read them till I was 15, though it has been a while and I am due for a reread.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Maudie

I found it! Masky the Ninja with a terrible sense of fashion. I need to remake that character.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Lady Amber

Quote from: Faiyloe on November 28, 2014, 12:21:41 AM
These people really need help. They think they are in the same cell.
Wait, I'm in a cell?