Started by Tiria Wildlough, November 08, 2011, 03:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

OK...so which one is it? Mine would have to be Luke the Warrior -
*angry fans violently kill me*
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

Deyna (a.k.a. The Taggerung) just seemed to perfect to me, and a bit unrealistic. He was brought up evil, and yet became good straight away, just because he was an otter, and otters are "goodies". Also, I don't care what happened to him, no otter could pick up a boulder and throw it as easily and as with little effort as he did. So, Deyna is my least favourite.

I'd have to say Lona Bowstripe from Loamhedge would be my second least favourite. He just wasn't the most interesting character, although I dislike the book Triss more then Loamhedge.

Also, Tiria Wildlough seems to perfect at everything (Sue-like). She would rank at 3rd. Also, she just isn't that interesting.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Gotta agree with you on Deyna. And Lonna Bowstripe was a bit too much like Gorath the Flame, but I have to say I like Lonna better.
I'm not a hipster.

Flandor

Ugh all those dumb badgers in Eulalia! They were so boring and way too perfect.  That book was one of my least favorites, tied with Doomwyte.

I also really didn't care for Martin II all that much.  Very vanilla.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Taggerung The Otter

the fat dude who was Rakkety Tam's friend ::)
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on November 08, 2011, 03:35:10 AM
OK...so which one is it? Mine would have to be Luke the Warrior -
*angry fans violently kill me*

That would be me ;)

I'd have to say Uggo Wiltud
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Blademaster

I didin't really like Tiria "Angry fans then turn on me"
Cluny-"Shut up!" Cheesethief-"Shutting up chief."

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Taggerung The Otter on November 08, 2011, 08:59:09 PM
the fat dude who was Rakkety Tam's friend ::)

Tha' wid be the Wild Doogy Plum.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Plugg Firetail

Tiria for a couple of reasons.

1.No sense of character development.

2.Seems like a Sue

Let me elaborate.

1.From the beginning of the book, we know that Tiria is awesome with the sling. She hits a rat on the head and kills him from a incredible distance. She manages, with no formal training, takes out a gang of 8 water rats with the odds 2-1. She can hit a weasel two times in the eyes and head, something not even the best Guosim slinger can do. She kills Riggu Felis instantly.

2.From what we know, Tiria is taller than her dad by a head. She is said to be beautiful. She is trustworthy and everyone likes her. From Cuthbert Frunk standards, she's the best cook he ate from. And, coincidentally she is the queen of her people.

Muse

Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Muse on November 10, 2011, 01:47:53 AM
I hated Gorath.
Me too. He's just an elaborated replica of Lonna Bowstripe. ::)
I'm not a hipster.

James Gryphon

I didn't dislike Deyna when I read the book the first time, but I think he could have been much more interesting than he was, and in retrospect, he does come off as Sue-ish. He seems so clean-cut -- even the original Skipper and the otters in Mossflower spoke with an accent, but if I remember right (I don't have my copy right with me) Tagg's dialect is more refined than that, even though it really shouldn't be. He was raised by vermin, and although I don't mind him not being evil, I'd like to see more of a conflict than just, "Nope, I'm not going to be evil, period" right off the bat. Even though we know he's a murderer (by proxy), Sawney Rath still was the one that raised him and he should've had more influence in Tagg's life than that. Also, he wins everything too easily; if we at least got to see him cross blades with Eefera, that would have been interesting, but we don't even see them fight, we just see the aftereffects, which is kind of cheap.

Luke, Martin, Matthias, and even Mattimeo were all cool in their own way, but Martin II was just... boring. The only time we see him do anything, he gets an easy victory. He's immune to Ublaz's hypnosis, and there is absolutely no good reason for this. I think Pearls of Lutra might've been more interesting if it was set a little bit earlier, and we saw Mattimeo go -- he could've been past his prime, which would've made it all the better, showing that age isn't a barrier to doing the right thing. It also would've been a good chance to show Tess, etc. and continue character development; Martin II could've still been young in the story, say, Tansy and Viola's age, or younger.

For that matter, although he isn't a main hero, I don't like Clecky either; he's basically the same as Tarquin, only slightly more martial (like Basil Stag Hare), and he just tears through vermin like he does food, when I don't think he ought to be that good. The same goes for Grath Longfletch; her and her husband-to-be are both too dangerous and smash the Monitors too easily.

I don't like Dotti Dillworthy because she's very young, flippant, and yet great at everything (even when it doesn't make sense for her to be).

Tiria Wildlough (the character)... I've talked about her several times before. She's great at everything, bigger and better than everyone else, outstandingly beautiful, etc, etc, and etc. She easily defeats everyone she faces without a single significant challenge in the entire book (if I remember right). Oh, and there's a prophecy about her too. She can't become Skipper just because she's a girl, but that's okay because she can become a Queen.

I mean, come on.

Finally, I actually like Buckler Kordyne; that is, he isn't anywhere near being my "least favourite hero", but I do think he might have been a little bit overpowered in the sword skills; I think the book would have been better if the Badger Lord described him as being as "good as his grandfather" (without the implication that he might be better), and if Zwilt wasn't losing the swordfight at the end of the book. He could've still gotten the hostage and threatened to execute him, but it would've been a time-saving thing -- just like how the readers understand that Cluny took Hugo not because Matthias was winning their duel, but because he wanted to speed things up a bit, and not have to go to as much trouble to win.

It also would be nice if his weapon wasn't built up as being an uber-weapon second only to Martin's sword; I understand that it's top-notch for what it is, but rapiers had advantages and disadvantages like any other blade, and I think a weapon with a rich history, like Blademaster Feryn Kordyne's broadsword, ought to be portrayed as equally effective. One time it describes Zwilt's blow as numbing Buck's paw, in their brief fight in the forest, and it would've been nice if that same kind of dynamic applied in their last fight.
« Subject to editing »

Redwall Musician

Quote from: James Gryphon on November 10, 2011, 03:49:07 AM
I don't like Dotti Dillworthy because she's very young, flippant, and yet great at everything (even when it doesn't make sense for her to be).

I don't understand what you mean by "good at everything".

Was Dotti a good singer? Everyone knows that answer, no.
Was Dotti beautiful? This question is where people go wrong. She called herself a "fatal beauty". But Bucko disagreed. There is a difference between being beautiful and being pretty. Though towards the end of the book there was some comment from Brocktree about her being beautiful, but I think it was meant as interior beauty.
Was Dotti good at housework? Apparently not because her parents kicked her out.
Was Dotti good at preforming? I don't know, she never got the opportunity to show us.
Was Dotti good at fighting? Nope. It was only through her friend training that she beat Bucko.
And I'll go ahead and answer another question:
How did Dotti rise in the ranks of the Long Patrol so fast? Remember, it was the founding of the patrol. All the warriors Brocktree knew were good were also old. Of all the hares that had just come to the mountain, Brocktree knew Dotti best. He picked her because he trusted her.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Cheesethief

I havent read all the books yet, but so far my least favorite would have to be martin II or Joseph.

Log-a-Log

That's a good idea, James. Mattimeo going instead of Martin II would be awesome
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart