Outcast of Redwall is the best book in the series?

Started by Nadaz, voice of the host, November 25, 2017, 12:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 06, 2018, 01:57:29 PM
(Lol, Lutra's a mod.)

And?

The law must be applied equally to all people.

On topic, I always liked outcast, despite it's fairly simplistic examination of morality. It has cool characters.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Grond

There is an interesting discrepancy between Outcast of Redwall and Legend of Luke. It has to do with the death of Timballisto relative to MTW. In the Legend of Luke, Timballisto had died a season or two before the book began hence MTW has to go on the quest to learn his family history. However, in Outcast of Redwall the abbey recorder Barlom says that his grandfather Timballisto told him stories about Martin but that he regrettably never got to know him (Martin). This would imply that MTW died before Timballisto did, yet in the Legend of Luke its clearly the opposite. Martin was still in good health and shape and still relatively young by the time of Timballisto's died even going on a long quest to their birth place a season or two after it...

Jukka the Sling

I know, it's strange.  One possibility is that Barlom was very young at the time someone told him stories of Martin, so he later got confused and *thought* the person who'd told him stories about Martin was his grandfather, when in fact it was somebeast else.  I dunno. XP
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Unless Timballisto and his family lived outside of Redwall, and they never visited there until it was too late.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Deskar

I thought Outcast was a bit dissapointing, but I'd say it's a bit worse then Mattimeo, but FAR ahead of Mariel of Redwall.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Grond on June 17, 2018, 05:12:57 AM
There is an interesting discrepancy between Outcast of Redwall and Legend of Luke. It has to do with the death of Timballisto relative to MTW. In the Legend of Luke, Timballisto had died a season or two before the book began hence MTW has to go on the quest to learn his family history. However, in Outcast of Redwall the abbey recorder Barlom says that his grandfather Timballisto told him stories about Martin but that he regrettably never got to know him (Martin). This would imply that MTW died before Timballisto did, yet in the Legend of Luke its clearly the opposite. Martin was still in good health and shape and still relatively young by the time of Timballisto's died even going on a long quest to their birth place a season or two after it...

Maybe Brian sometimes forgets what he puts in his books

The Grey Coincidence

Quote from: Sanddunes on September 16, 2018, 12:33:23 AM
Maybe Brian sometimes forgets what he puts in his books
Perfectly understandable
Something I just realized today because I was writing my fanfic and was thinking of Veil. Ahem. Not sure if this is the best thread to put this in but...
Jodd the Squirrelhare is a hare raised by squirrels who thinks he's a squirrel despite being a hare.
Yet Veil does not end up thinking for a moment that he is another type of animal?
Is this perhaps a parallel made by Brian Jacques? What is the point of Jodd the Squirrelhare?
MAYBE I'm overthinking, but...
It just hammers home how hard I feel like Outcast was a missed opportunity.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Nadaz, voice of the host

Perfectly understandable
Something I just realized today because I was writing my fanfic and was thinking of Veil. Ahem. Not sure if this is the best thread to put this in but...
Jodd the Squirrelhare is a hare raised by squirrels who thinks he's a squirrel despite being a hare.
Yet Veil does not end up thinking for a moment that he is another type of animal?
Is this perhaps a parallel made by Brian Jacques? What is the point of Jodd the Squirrelhare?
MAYBE I'm overthinking, but...
It just hammers home how hard I feel like Outcast was a missed opportunity

Indeed.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

General Ironbeak

I hated how the Krakulat storyline ended. 😢