News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Bears

Started by The Skarzs, April 27, 2018, 03:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

This topic is for the discussion of bears in Redwall.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Personally if they were in Redwall they would be neutral because they are to overpowering to be vermin unless the woodlands had something that could face it

The Skarzs

Perhaps. However, if they were more proportionally sized down, it may be possible to kill them, if need be. That, of course, would take a lot of arrows.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Grey Coincidence

I could see it happening, but really I think taming a bear would be beyond most vermin's capabilities. Because even if it was scaled down I'd imagine it'd be larger than a wolverine. Perhaps a pine marten could do it...
I do plan to use a bear though... briefly. I think a role akin to something like Argulor Algulor (you know who I mean) would fit a bear.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

The Skarzs

As @Rusvul would probably say, "Neutral evil".
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on April 27, 2018, 06:35:28 AM
I could see it happening, but really I think taming a bear would be beyond most vermin's capabilities. Because even if it was scaled down I'd imagine it'd be larger than a wolverine. Perhaps a pine marten could do it...
I do plan to use a bear though... briefly. I think a role akin to something like Argulor Algulor (you know who I mean) would fit a bear.

So a sun bear
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_bear

SoranMBane

Well, bears would almost certainly be far bigger and stronger than most of the larger creatures we've actually seen in Redwall (bigger than badgers or wolverines, certainly). They also feel to me like they'd be one of the wilder, least civilized species; like they'd be extremely dangerous and hostile towards anyone unlucky enough to wander into their territory, but they wouldn't likely have the ambition to go out and conquer other lands like most other vermin do. They could be like the Redwall world's equivalent of a troll or ogre, in much the same way that adders fill a similar role to dragons.

Jack the Quick

Bears would be really overpowered, since a mouse would fit right inside their mouth. Bears in Redwall would unbalance everything.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Jetthebinturong

A mouse would already basically fit right inside a cat's mouth. Redwall's sizes are not analogous to real-world animals.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Grey Coincidence

A mouse *did* basically fit inside a cat's mouth. Poor Mathias was nearly catfood- granted that was the first book.

But while that may be true Jet, depending on how big the bear is, it could easily swallow a mouse. Although sizes is always a tough subject...

Jetthebinturong

I think when we discuss the sizes of the animals, it's a given that we can disregard the first book.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Grey Coincidence

Very true, yes.

But at the same time I think most people have their own little headcanons in terms of sizes and stuff. A bear *could* swallow a mouse whole in my interpretation of Redwall sizes- but BJ left everything vague didn't he?

Jack the Quick

Yes, that he did.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

The Grey Coincidence

My point being that, depending on how some other view sizes, a bear could either be about as tall as the abbey walls ooooor just a bit bigger than a badger,

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on July 04, 2019, 02:14:41 PM
My point being that, depending on how some other view sizes, a bear could either be about as tall as the abbey walls ooooor just a bit bigger than a badger,
Yeah, I think Brian Jacques liked it when his readers imagined all of the sizes and such.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!