Getting Started FAQ (for those new to RPing on this forum)

Started by Captain Tammo, May 30, 2018, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

How Do I Get Started? (FAQ)

Hi everyone! One of the longtime forum members, the wonderful Cornflower MM, asked if we'd set up a formal FAQ board for people to reference if they're new to RPing. Here's what she had to say:

Over the years, I've noticed a multitude of topics with titles like, "how do I get started?" or "Are there any open RPs I can join?" Not all have the same titles, but you get the idea. Most have pretty much the same sort of questions, often the same as the topic titles.
So here you can find the answers to those questions and more! If your question isn't covered in this topic, feel free to post here to ask! We don't bite. :)

Q.) Are there any open RPs I can join/Where do I sign up?
A.) Probably! You're already in the OOC: Discussions board, so take a look at the topics and see if any plot interests you. When you find one, ask if you can join and the GM (Stands for GameMaster, aka the one who started the RP) will more than likely let you in, unless it's a private RP. But no worries, there's always another RP.

Q.) Do I need a character sheet?
A.) Yes, definitely! When you find an RP that interests you, there will (probably) be a form/template for you to fill out, called a character sheet. Every GM's preferred character sheet is a little bit different, so try to use the one provided. If there wasn't one provided, you can make your own – Just look at everyone else's to get a good idea of what the GM wants! And don't be offended if the GM wants you to change or add something, they just want to make the RP as good as it can and to help you out. :)

Q.) How do I make my own roleplay?
A.) Well, most people prefer to wait until they're RPed for a bit to make an RP, but if you're brave then by all means – GO FOR IT. You make an RP by posting your idea/plot in the OOC: Discussions Board, with a title something like this: "[Name of your RP] OOC Discussion/Sign-Up" You should also have the character sheet you want your RPers to use, and any rules you want them to follow other than the standard no PP/GMing. Good luck!

Q.) You just mentioned PPing. What's that?
A.) Powerplaying, or PPing, is when you take control of someone else's character. Say, you kill them or injure them without giving the owner of the character time to react, or you move the character around. If the owner of the character has said that it's okay to do something, then by all means go ahead – Just get permission first! Even if they say no you two can probably work out a way to enact the plan in your head.

Q.) You just mentioned GMing. What's that?
A.) There's two things GM can stand for: Gamemaster, which we already covered, and GodModding. Godmodding is what happens when you make your character too strong or powerful, or invincible.  Be careful to avoid this!

I think that just about covers the basics. :) Again, please feel free to ask your questions here. If you're interested, there's also a few other topics that could also be helpful:

Basics, Guidelines, and Rules

Roleplaying Advice

Have fun! (That's the most important bit) And good luck! :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior