Tales of Homelands, Scattered to the Stars

Started by Dannflower Reguba, February 13, 2020, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

Well howdy and apologies! I've taken my sweet time setting things up, but here we are! The RP board's event for this Extravaganza is the first attempt at an implementation of an idea I threw at this board last summer, World States. I realize this may come as a disappointment to some, but before you give up on the idea or leave, I'd like to explain why I'm hoping we can at least give this a shot. Years ago, before many of you who now traverse the RP board even joined the forum, there was a member here that went by the name AbbotAlf0805. We butted heads on EVERYTHING, but there was one thing I could never razz him over, and that was the RP world he created and ran over his years here. Over a series of RP's (Heroes of Redwall I believe it was called) he constructed a far more lived-in redwall world with it's own major cities, and different cultures. If you've taken a look through some of our previous roleplays, you may have come across steampunk themes, magical fantasy, sci-fi, modern, etc. styled RP's. I've been a part of some, and they were quite often exceptionally fun to write for, but almost always died out for one reason or another. One of the reasons I believe may have been the cause is simply that it can be hard to make a world like that from scratch by yourself without losing some element of reason or purpose along the way. I would like to see people be able to explore a robust set of worlds with their own unique rules, and though there's absolutely nothing to stop any of you from embarking on the journey of building your own from scratch for any given RP, I'd really like to try to create as many tools by which we as a community can give each other a basis to start from.

So, should you desire to participate in this event for the Extravaganza, here are the rules!

1.) Follow all forum rules (:P)

2.) You may work in teams of 2!  :o AND you may participate in up to 2 teams

3.) Expectations for a World State to count are as follows:
- Indication of era, both socially, and technologically.
- 5 major locations (Redwall, Salamandastron, the River Moss ford, the swamp, etc.) (or an explanation for why there are less)
- 3 major regions (Mossflower, Southsward, the Northlands, the North Moors) (or an explanation for why there are less)
- 3 major factions (Redwallers, Long Patrol, Guosim, a vermin gang of significance, etc.)
- A functional map, it doesn't have to be super detailed, but it should give viewers a solid idea of how the world is laid out, and should indicate any location-based information such as the locations or regions mentioned above.
(Please note that all of the examples in parenthesis are just that, examples, locations, regions, and factions are not required to have been in any of the books, you are at full liberty to develop anything [within reason])

4.) All topics in this board can be read by anyone else, I do not take well to plagiarism (at all), but please know that your conversation here is not private, I do encourage teams to use this board for their communications, and even to share ideas with each other (which IS allowed, your teams can bounce ideas off of each other for inspiration, but if I see identical worlds, your score will suffer). Ultimately, however, if you REALLY want something to be kept a secret, don't say it here.

5.) Have fun (duh :P)

Now mind you, the requirements listed above will allow your world state to be counted for judging, but if you want to score well, you're going to have to put some effort into it, here is my criteria for scoring:

-Creativity and/or Uniqueness -30

-Detail (level of description) -30

-Flexibility (of political structure, power systems, etc.) -20

-Cartography (mapping) -30

-Scope (size) -20

-Thematic Commitment (sticking to the theme whilst also maintaining a Jaques-like world [higher score potential for introducing new elements]) -30

-Beauty of form and method (How you present the information to me) (This is the big one! I want to be able to put together a template of sorts for future world states, but we don't have one yet.... what can you come up with?) -40

Other assorted notes: If someone knows of a good, simple mapping tool, PLEASE let me know, I want to reduce the hassle for everyone as much as possible. Making world-states that are similar to "vanilla" Redwall is okay, but please include some unique elements to set your world apart, and understand that your score potential will not be as high. I am ABSOLUTELY interested in offering ideas here and there, please don't spam me, but DO feel free to ping me if you want an opinion or thought on something. Same idea goes for questions, please ask them, but keep them concise (I will also try to post all questions and their answers on this post).

And so, my friends, I will ask again...

"Please, tell me about your homes..... tell me everything!"
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Dannflower Reguba

I would like to quickly point out that y'all are welcome to openly discuss this event in this topic. You can use it to find partners, ask questions, bounce ideas around, or just talk about anything in relation to the event! I'm only saying this because I haven't heard much from anybeast on this, and I want to make sure you guys have a clear avenue for communication.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

shisteer of nothing much

Sweet, thanks. Eb and I are working on something. (though at the moment it's just discussion, so 'working' is a loose term)
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Dannflower Reguba

Time is running short! I'll update this post as soon as I know exactly how much time is left. Should you desire to make an entry, simply make a topic with the member(s) in the title, and @ me (assuming you have a way to present the content)

EDIT: I haven't really heard anything concrete yet, but for now, the end date for this event is March 24th! Two weeks from now.

Ebantu the Kararehe

Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Verdauga

Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Ebantu the Kararehe on March 17, 2020, 07:25:29 AM
Help! @shisteer of nothing much, have you seen how long we have?
Yes, I have. Can you come to ours before tap tomorrow? We need to draw the map and generally plan some stuff. I haven't made much progress since yesterday but I'll get onto that now.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Dannflower Reguba

Today's the day! Get your worlds posted!

EDIT: I've been looking over the entries a bit, and am currently formulating my thoughts. Feel free to @ me if you have any questions or concerns, and hopefully I'll be able to finish the judging without too much procrastination.  ;)