News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Why Martin II was immune to Ublaz's Hypnosis (spoilers for Pearls of Lutra)

Started by clunylooney, May 06, 2020, 02:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clunylooney

I've seen this talked about quite a bit. People get mad at how, in The Pearls of Lutra, Martin II looks straight into Emperor Ublaz's hypnotic eyes and doesn't fall into a hypnotic state like everything else Ublaz has hypnotized. Many people have raged at this, I never got mad at it. When it happened at first, I kind of gasped and was like, "awesome!". It felt like a very cool moment, with Ublaz feeling weak and powerless against Martin II. I honestly like Martin II a lot. But anyway, I never raged or even questioned why this happens, because it was so obvious to me.
I just wanted to make this saying why I believe Martin II was immune to Ublaz's hypnosis.
Throughout the series, Martin the Warrior has come to many to help them in times of need. His spirit has helped every almost every main character in the series with the exeption of Lord Brocktree (and maybe a few others).
When Martin II looks into Ublaz's eyes, it's because the spirit of Martin the Warrior is in him!
Martin's spirit has done things like this many times, so why not help the warrior of Redwall Abbey by making him immune to Ublaz's powers? That is what I believe and I personally think it makes sense.
Just felt it needed to be said.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Corporal Rubbadub

matin in martin ll makes sense, but i feel like it was just the battle rage coursing through martin ll that made hi, immune. i noticed throughout the book, all of ublaz's hypnotism victim's were all scared of him (with the exception of the snake), maybe that was a factor

Captain Wortshire

Just had a thought pop into my head today concerning this topic:

Martin II's grandfather was Matthias, who stared into the face of death (literally) while facing Asmodeus.

Asmodeus is known to have hypnotic eyes, and Matthias is the only character to break from his gaze (with some help from Martin the Warrior of course).

Adder's eyes probably have more power than a Pine Marten's, so if Martin II heredetarily inherited some traits from his grandfather, he would probably have no problem fighting Ublaz's gaze.

Just a thought.
[move][/move]
"It's so sad. Nobody understands you. But the truth is you're the one who finds everyone & everything to be a pain in the butt."
"The moon tide is tugging on our hearts right now."
"Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul"
"We're making the mother of all omelettes here. Can't fret over every egg"
Spoiler
[close]