News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

ALEX RIDER

Started by Corporal Rubbadub, May 27, 2020, 01:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corporal Rubbadub

my second favorite book series, after redwall, anthony horowitz(the author) just came out with the 13th book in the series. The order is as follows:
Book 1- Stormbreaker
Book 2- Point Blank
Book 3- Skeleton Key
Book 4- Eagle Strike
Book 5- Scorpia
Book 6- Ark Angel
Book 7- Snakehead
Book 8- Crocodile Tears
Book 9- Scorpia Rising
Book 10- Never Say Die
Book 11- Nightshade(the new one)
There are two extra books that he wrote, but they were not in chronological order so here they are- Russian Roulette, and Secret Weapon. The series follows a teenage spy working for MI6- a British spy agency

Booklover

I've read all of them but the two newest, I think (all but Secret Weapon and Nightshade). My favourite is Russian Roulette.

What did you think of
For Never Say Die
Jack actually being alive?
[close]
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

The Grey Coincidence

I love Alex Rider! One of my favourite book series definetly. I really like Russian Roulette but I think my personal favourite individual book was either Scorpia or Eagle Strike- leaning sliiiiightly towards Scorpia.

As per your question lover of books...

Spoiler
I have very mixed feelings about Jack being alive. I read the book where she died before he continued writing the series (by that point he had more or less 'ended' Alex's adventures) and seeing her car blow up (or the car we assume she was in) was pretty mind-numbing at the time. Very er- mind-numbing. And I think it should have been left alone because it was so painful to read and helped round off Alex's arc of falling away from the secret agent life. I thought it was tragic, but fitting.

Having said that I do like that the series went back a little to being more light-hearted but it still feels a bit like a cop-out to me. Did Jack *have* to come back for the series to go back to being a bit more happy-go-lucky? I'm not sure. I lean slightly towards 'should've stayed dead' but love Jack too much to complain all that much.
[close]
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

DanielofRedwall

That brings me back! I read all of them up to Crocodile Tears, I believe. Snakehead was partly based in my home-city also, which is cool. Haven't kept up with them at all but I was a big fan around the age of 10-12.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Corporal Rubbadub

My favorite book is either Nightshade or Scorpia Rising.
Spoiler
my favorite part in the whole series is when smithers reveals he was wearing a body suit the whole time, and was really skinny
[close]

Booklover

I'm currently watching the first episode of the new Alex Rider series (on Amazon Prime). It skips most events from the first book (the whole Stormbreaker plotline, as far as I can tell, but has to have the background of becoming a spy and
You find out very quickly, it's not a major spoiler.
his uncle dying, the 'car crash', a few other things leading up to being recruited.
[close]

Corporal Rubbadub

is it good enough to watch? i might be watching it sometime during the summer.

Jukka the Sling

I've known about this series for years, but never bothered to pick it up.  I did watch part of the 2006 movie once, but never finished it. :P  It sounds super interesting, though, so I'm gonna have to try it out!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Verdauga

It was kinda like teenage james Bond, at least from what I remember of Stormbreaker.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Corporal Rubbadub

never read james bond, but the author, anthony horowitz won an award for james bond type book and sherlock holmes type book (two seperate awards)

Booklover

Quote from: Verdauga on June 09, 2020, 02:12:55 AM
It was kinda like teenage james Bond, at least from what I remember of Stormbreaker.
There's the Young Bond series if you want an actual teenage James Bond.

The series was good (the book was better, in my opinion, but also the opinion of the t-shirt designer (you'll know what I mean if you watch it)).
Minor, mostly for the series.
I don't get why they decided to have girls, instead of just boys. Equality, maybe? Or so Kyra could replace Alex in some situations to stop him seeming overpowered. They do explain how a certain thing works, I won't say more.

For the series
I dislike how Alex is portrayed is more rebellious and less mature than in the books, and also doesn't do as much. Although, in fairness, Stormbraker didn't happen in the series, it's less clear exactly how much Ian trained him, plus the crane incident did happen in the books (not the series). I also don't really like the romance element (don't worry, there's nothing serious). It's done to appeal to teenagers, but still.
[close]

Spoiler for Scorpia Rising, plus to a lesser extent Russian Roulette and Scorpia, and definitely the series. And I suppose Stormbreaker as well
I have a few objections to Yassen shooting Julius at the end. 1: he says he doesn't kill children. However, Julius could be an exception to that, given the... circumstances, plus he was willing to participate in Stormbreaker (and Point Blanc in the series). 2: given Scorpia Rising, Julius almost certainly should survive, yet Yassen is extremely accurate. If he wants to kill, he'll succeed. If he didn't aim to kill, that would fit with the not killing children thing. However, Julius needs to not have the opportunity to be able to shoot Alex, or for that matter anyone else. 3: it's possible Julius did die, in which case Kyra-clone could take his place in a later series, if that happens, but I still don't like that idea.

Presumably, that scene is intended to parallel the scene near the end of Stormbreaker, hence Yassen's involvement in the first place.
[close]
[close]

As you may have guessed, I agree completely with the message on the t-shirt.