News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Discuss! Which books to movie projects do you like? Which don't you like?

Started by Redwallfan7, April 03, 2012, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skalrag of Marshank

Quote from: Coobreedan on April 03, 2012, 03:30:58 PM
In the How to Train Your Dragon books Hiccup is best friends with a skinny boy called Fishlegs. In the film, Fishlegs is fat and he barely even knows who Hiccup is! In the books Hiccup has a small green dragon called Toothless, in the film Toothless is a massive black dragon!

I didn't really think they ruined How to Train Your Dragon. To be honest, I'm not such a huge fan of the books. I think the movie (Even though it is WAAAAAAAYYY different from the book) was better.

Quote from: White One6193 on April 04, 2012, 12:32:07 AM
Quote from: Bragoon on April 03, 2012, 05:23:54 PM
The Prince Caspian movie was painful.  The love interest they added in between Caspian and Susan was the single worst addition to a movie that wasn't in the book that I've ever seen.  Voyage of the Dawn Treader wasn't great, but acceptable.

But, I think The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was reasonably faithful, and the recent adaptation of True Grit was surprisingly faithful. 

Actually, the love interest twixt Caspian and Susan was written in. "There was a longing look that passed between them" but it was never as fleshed out as Disney decided to show.

But they did make Peter into a roaring jerk. WHICH WAS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY!

I thought Prince Caspian was pretty good, aside from that kiss between Caspian at Susan at the end. That was totally uncalled for.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

MatthiasMan

I think they ruined Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. The book as a kid was so good.

Nightfire

I never read the book, actually, so I wouldn't know what to say to that.

I hate the movies that they made out of the Rats of NIMH books. They called Mrs. Frisby "Mrs. Brisby" in the movie, made Mr. Ages a grumpy old hermit instead of a lovable doctor, and they made the rats use swords. And Jenner is NOT supposed to show up in Mrs. Frisby's story!!!!
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

redwallgurl

Percy Jackson and the Olmypiads was completely not like the book. I was hoping for something much better.  Like the ones mentioned before they are also not good. O well I'll try to think of some more.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Lutra

Quote from: Nightfire on April 05, 2012, 08:25:08 PM
I hate the movies that they made out of the Rats of NIMH books. They called Mr.s Frisby "Mrs. Brisby" in the movie, made Mr. Ages a grumpy old hermit instead of a lovable doctor, and they made the rats use swords. And Jenner is NOT supposed to show up in Mrs. Frisby's story!!!!

Rats of NIMH is never a book I picked up to read, only watched Don Bluth's movie, which I actually do enjoy and consider it one of my favorite animated films because it goes back to the darker Disney days in style and character.  Yes, Mr. Ages is grumpy, but he does help Mrs Brisby (named such to avoid a legal dispute).  I said it in the Guardians topic, movies can not be a straight up rendition of the book and work in most cases because you can't read emotion like you can read a book.  Things have to change to bring things out visually, and make a story work visually.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Twilight is a series that people either love, or love to hate. :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skalrag of Marshank

Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 05, 2012, 07:41:49 PM
I think they ruined Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. The book as a kid was so good.

Oh? I liked the movie. That's just my opinion, though...I guess it's kinda hard to make a movie based on a picture book interesting, 'cause they're so short, you've gotta add a lot of stuff to keep people watching. I dunno, just my random, somewhat disheveled thought process.... ::)

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on April 07, 2012, 05:23:56 AM
Twilight is a series that people either love, or love to hate. :D

You better believe it! ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Tiria Wildlough

I don't want to read it, though.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Bragoon

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Eragon.  They must have been planning to only make one movie, because it was really different. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

MatthiasMan

Never saw Eragon. I wasn't old enough. I'm 12. Barely have ever seen a PG 13 movie in my life.

Mad Maudie

Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 05, 2012, 06:06:11 PM
I HATE TWILIGHT. It's the worst thing in the world.  ;D ;D ;D
i am with you all the way! and i did think prince Caspian was not good but then i only saw it once a few years ago...
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Dannflower Reguba

Hey! Prince Caspian was amazing!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Redwallfan7

Prince Caspian was epic. Susan was awesome as usual with her bow and arrows. Narnia was kicking butt.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dannflower Reguba

I'M AN ANGRY TREE!!!!! *fwooossh! bam! Crack!* ;D
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This