News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Names

Started by redwallgurl, June 16, 2012, 10:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flandor

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on June 19, 2012, 03:41:41 PM
Another character is Korvuss Skurr. Corvus is the genus of which ravens and crows belong to. I've also noticed a couple of biblical names such as Matthias, Methusalah, John (sure, it is a pretty common name, but also biblical) and a few others I can't remember right now.

Ah you beat me to Korvus Skurr. 

Doomwhyte was also dedicated to PFC Donald Reas Axtell, who I can only assume gave Axtell Sturnclaw his name.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Flandor on June 17, 2012, 11:51:36 AM
The European badger's Latin name is Meles Meles, which is very similar to Mother Mellus' name.  
That's also where Lady Melesme's name comes from.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

redwallforever

Mariel is the name of a Cuban town (although I do not think Brian Jacques will be inspired by)
you broke his bell!
-Yes,Cornflower,hopefully ...
The abbey of Redwall Abbey is an eternal, that will always rise in honor of all those who lived.As archivists Redwall say: "Come in, we welcome you."

Felldoh154

Haha that's really cool! So if someone who spoke Latin ( dead language so no one now :() some of the character's names would be lord badger, otter etc etc... Lol nice I never would have noticed

GeminyaTome

Quote from: Felldoh154 on July 08, 2012, 04:49:19 PM
Haha that's really cool! So if someone who spoke Latin ( dead language so no one now :() some of the character's names would be lord badger, otter etc etc... Lol nice I never would have noticed
Latin's not a dead language. I'm learning it, and someone else said they knew latin too.
I love names, so when I saw the title I instantly knew I would like this...
Also Veil is an anagram of Evil.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Felldoh154

A few people can speak it, but as of now it's merely a language helpful in learning other languages, no one I've heard of has Latin as thier first language, also not official language of any country thus, unless I am greatly mistaken it is a 'dead' language

Lutra

People don't like the fact I've called it a dead language in the past, and still don't like it when I do so today.  For conversation and communication, its pretty much no longer used in that way.  However, if you're in the field of medicine or biology (for scientific names), you're going to have to know some Latin. ;)  If you know what my username means, you know at least one Latin word. :D  While not totally dead, I would hardly call it common. 

You'll find that there's lots of Latin based names in Redwall, plus religious ones.  Mr. Jacques has said in his visits to bookstores (check youtube) that he did look to other names and languages for inspiration.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Felldoh154

Heh heh "otter" (lutra means otter) is right :)

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Dannflor on June 19, 2012, 03:42:48 PM
Luna means star stilaris means moon

Other way round
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

UNKN0WN

Quote from: Dannflor on June 19, 2012, 03:42:48 PM
Luna means star stilaris means moon

that is kinda cool the way that he used latin words to make names for his characters.
I should do that