News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Who is your favorite Villain?

Started by Superdreuzel, June 14, 2011, 04:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 28, 2011, 06:06:44 PM
Mines probably tsarmina wildcat (spelling?) because she almost defeated Martin the warrior with her bare claws and he had his sword. She did go a little insane but that just makes it a better story!

Just another reason that Mossflower is on just about everyone's top ten favourites.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Deogolf

That's a tough one! They're all nasty in their own way.

Asmodeussss...

Galedeep

Verdauga Greeneyes, I know he didn't last that long but I've always liked him. Otherwise I'd say Gabool.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 16, 2011, 03:56:54 PM
Have a few:
Cluny (orginal, scary), the Sable Queen (so evil), the wolverine dude from Rackety Tam (really evil), Rizzid Wearat.

But my favorite is Mad Eyes.
I like Mad Eyes too. Spoooky! But Slagar sounds really scary. You would think that he would leave off his mask just to frighten others.
:o
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 01, 2011, 04:58:55 AM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 16, 2011, 03:56:54 PM
Have a few:
Cluny (orginal, scary), the Sable Queen (so evil), the wolverine dude from Rackety Tam (really evil), Rizzid Wearat.

But my favorite is Mad Eyes.
I like Mad Eyes too. Spoooky! But Slagar sounds really scary. You would think that he would leave off his mask just to frighten others.
:o
Hated him when he was Chickenhound, loved him when he was Slagar.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on June 22, 2011, 02:58:53 AM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 21, 2011, 04:36:39 PM
The snakes are scary. Asmodes, Baliss, both gave me goosebumps. One night I had read about Baliss and the next morning I saw a snake in my bed. "Oh on! this is the end!" I thought. But it was my cat's tail. I almost fainted of foolishness.

Zassaliss and his siblings. They gave me goosebumps, shivers, startles and overall total intense concentartion on what I was reading. Those three were brilliant, Jacques did awesome on them.

@Redwall Musician:btw, I accidently hit Modify on your post instead of Quote, hence why it says I edited it.
I was really scared reading about Zassaliss and his siblings. It jsut made me feel spooky reading about it. Also the awful stench. Eeuuugh!
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 01, 2011, 09:38:54 AMHated him when he was Chickenhound, loved him when he was Slagar.
I agree with this completely! Chickenhound didn't impress me in the least, but Slagar - he was a seriously awesome villain.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

I've noticed that nobody's mentioned Stonefleck yet.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Osu on July 01, 2011, 08:20:51 PM
Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 01, 2011, 09:38:54 AMHated him when he was Chickenhound, loved him when he was Slagar.
I agree with this completely! Chickenhound didn't impress me in the least, but Slagar - he was a seriously awesome villain.
I agree! Although, I wish slagar would fight a lot more instead of running away :-\
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwall Musician

Slagar believes he should turn the other cheek (and run for his life!  :D).
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Osu

Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 02, 2011, 11:26:19 PM
Hahaha! A fox who runs away/ lives to steal another day...
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

sabretache5611

Really hard...all villains were evil one way or another, but a few were more evil than others.  Cluny (using blackmail is really low, yet smart), Vilaya was scary (the poison dagger...), Tsarmina was the only one who met Martin in single combat (pretty darn rare), but I have to say my personal favorite would be Swartt Sixclaw from The Outcast, he is such a conniving ferret.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 02, 2011, 05:41:44 PM
I've noticed that nobody's mentioned Stonefleck yet.
Oh yeah, Stonefleck! He was so mysterious in his own way.
Received mostly negative reviews.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 03, 2011, 03:45:07 AM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 02, 2011, 11:26:19 PM
Hahaha! A fox who runs away/ lives to steal another day...

or he falls into a hidden well and dies  ;D

i mean thats what happened to Slagar in the end
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

James Gryphon

Three of my favorite villains, in mostly-randomized order:

Ferahgo the Assassin
In terms of lifespan, Ferahgo is one of the oldest and most experienced villains in the saga. At the beginning of Salamandastron, he was a mature weasel; by the time the story starts, Urthstripe (who was but a babe at the beginning) is a mature Badger Lord, so Ferahgo has obviously seen many seasons by this point.

As he mentions, he was skinning and killing before any of his horde was weaned. In terms of battle tactics, he's second only to Cluny in competence; he clearly knows how to control a horde. He is also unusually ruthless; Urthstripe clearly expected Ferahgo to honor the tradition of the "Duel of Chieftains", but the Assassin never had any intention of doing any such thing. From the very beginning he planned to assassinate the badger by ambush. (And frankly, that's just plain common sense -- in a fight between a Badger Lord and practically any other character in the series, I know who I'd bet on. If I was a vermin leader, I'd have to be stupid and insane to really intentionally risk my life in such an unbalanced fight.)

Several interesting personality traits include his sophistication, malicious faux naîveté and charm, and most intriguingly, his relationship with his son Klitch. Like Veil, Klitch is the spitting image of his father; unlike Veil, Ferahgo and his son actually seem to have a strong relationship, as far as vermin go. While they're constantly taking verbal shots at each other, we see from their behavior that they wouldn't really harm one another, and that's really pretty interesting (and probably unique among vermin families).

Ferahgo is notably one of the few villains that never goes insane or suffers from some sort of personality disorder. His goal, to conquer Salamandastron, is well-defined and pursued from the beginning, and doesn't slide off course. All these things should give him a special place in the ranks of Redwall villains.

Tsarmina Greeneyes
The first and in my mind, greatest wildcat villain, Tsarmina showed that a villain can be lady-like and yet dangerous and evil at the same time. ;)

Tsarmina is very definitely a girl, and that plays into her entire system of tyranny. She bosses around her subordinates, like every other main villain, but she has a very "catty" and manipulative way of handling things. Her rule begins with the classic underhanded coup, by poisoning her father. She disposes of her only significant rival, Bane, by a surprisingly non-confrontational maneuver -- she sweet-talks him, with a fake, yet seemingly sincere apology, and tricks into wearing the pine marten Ashleg's cloak. Having done that, she then locks him outside the gate, so that Argulor, the golden eagle who longs to taste pine marten, will swoop down on the fox and kill him.

Lady Greeneyes, unfortunately for her, is subject to multiple mental disorders. First, she suffers from intense aqua/hydrophobia, a paralyzing fear of water that pervades into her subconscious mind. She has little or no control over her behavior; when exposed to a river, the normally dominant queen panics and begs her troops to pull her out of the water. Alone in her chamber at nights, she's driven to insomnia by her fear. This grows worse and worse as the story continues, finally culminating in her death by drowning at the end of her fight with Martin.

Just as notably, she becomes completely obsessed with her brother Gingivere, and the role she imagines he's playing in overthrowing her rule. This extends itself to outright delusions, such as believing that various other creatures are Gingivere (even when they are obviously could not be, due to their smaller size).

In spite of all this, Tsarmina is a dangerous warrior, due to her natural, built-in weapons, and her skill at archery. In combat she practically tears Martin apart. This wildcat lady's only significant weakness is herself, and the threats conjured up by her fevered mind. Bella of Brockhall believed that defeating Tsarmina and her Thousand Eyes Army necessitated bringing back Boar the Fighter, the most dangerous warrior in Redwall history, from Salamandastron, and that speaks volumes as to the threat she posed to the Corim.

Cluny the Scourge
Cluny's infamous reign of terror took him far and wide. The greatest vermin warlord of all time had killed countless creatures prior to Redwall; his name was legendary even in a remote a place as Redwall Abbey.

A born conqueror, Cluny's strategic genius and physical might, as a whole, are unmatched by any other villain in the series. All of his plans mirror real, historic battlefield tactics, and leave little to be desired in terms of innovation. His physical skill and power is great, with a victory over a pike to his credit (something that the water rat Gloomer failed to achieve). He rapidly overwhelms Matthias, in spite of possessing inferior weaponry and armor, just by virtue of being so fast, strong, and tough.

His mental disorders seem to be brought on by the equivalent of a haunting -- it was something that the warlord had clearly never experienced before, and that couldn't be reasonably attributed to a flaw in the rat's mental makeup. It's worth noting that even when dealing with the aftereffects of these nightmares, that the Scourge remains a competent and capable villain, giving out effective orders to his troops.

No complaints to be had here; if you've read Redwall you should know it all. Cluny the Scourge is one of the greatest villains, not only in Redwall but in modern literature.

Intend to post about three more of my favorites, Ublaz Mad Eyes, Gabool the Wild, and Swartt Sixclaw when I get the chance, but right now this post is really long, and it's getting late, so I'll leave it be for now. Night.
« Subject to editing »