News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Most Heroic Deaths

Started by sabretache5611, July 05, 2011, 07:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabretache5611

There are many deaths in the Redwall series.  However, some of these deaths were heroic, with the hero fighting against waves of vermin hordes or saving their friends.  An example of a heroic death is Cuthbert W. Frunk's death (High Rhulain) in which he took down several of Pitru's wildcats, and the great water serpent Slothunog.  So if you think there is a death particularly heroic, please share it!
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Galedeep

Finbarr Galedeep, no doubt about it. A heroic death!

sabretache5611

Quote from: Galedeep on July 05, 2011, 07:16:58 PM
Finbarr Galedeep, no doubt about it. A heroic death!
taking down a very cruel fox leader is certainly heroic.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

James Gryphon

The most heroic deaths... Ferahgo the Assassin. Older than just about anyone else on the battlefield, he was a veteran of countless battles, who died fighting his best, just prior to making the move that would have won his side the victory.

Barranca, who held off, with his comrades, hordes of trident-rats, before being betrayed and murdered by someone who he thought was a close friend.

Lask Frildur, the loyal Monitor General, who, despite being wracked by ill weather and the relentless tossing of the waves, and having no weapons besides his natural defenses, nearly led his Monitors to victory over the treacherous corsairs onboard Waveworm.

Gulo the Wolverine, who fought against an experienced and dangerous warrior, who had superior weapons, to ensure the Land of Ice and Snow would not be left a leaderless rabble.

Need I go on? ;)

---

The only one of the above I would seriously consider including on the list, despite their status as vermin, is Barranca.

For some *real* heroic deaths:

Abbot Mortimer, who was cruelly murdered by Cluny the Scourge, in the process of trying to defend his friends.

The Mask, the brother of the original Skipper, who died rescuing two young hedgehogs.

Boar the Fighter, the most powerful warrior in the Redwall lore, who was killed while crushing a horde of vermin on the shores outside Salamandastron.

Urthstripe, who died killing one of the most experienced and dangerous villains of all time (in Redwall history), directly saving his brother's life, and indirectly saving the lives of all the others who would have been killed if Ferahgo had been able to rally his horde, in the process.

Romsca the Corsair, who, with her crew, defeated Lask Frildur and his Monitors, an extremely dangerous force, and thus saved the life of the Father Abbot.

Russa Nodrey and unnamed badgers, who died fighting vermin, to save the life of the badger that would become known as Russano.

Rockjaw Grang, who perished battling a company of Rapscallions, to save his friends.
« Subject to editing »

sabretache5611

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 05, 2011, 07:51:16 PM
The most heroic deaths... Ferahgo the Assassin. Older than just about anyone else on the battlefield, he was a veteran of countless battles, who died fighting his best, just prior to making the move that would have won his side the victory.

Barranca, who held off, with his comrades, hordes of trident-rats, before being betrayed and murdered by someone who he thought was a close friend.

Lask Frildur, the loyal Monitor General, who, despite being wracked by ill weather and the relentless tossing of the waves, and having no weapons besides his natural defenses, nearly led his Monitors to victory over the treacherous corsairs onboard Waveworm.

Gulo the Wolverine, who fought against an experienced and dangerous warrior, who had superior weapons, to ensure the Land of Ice and Snow would not be left a leaderless rabble.

Need I go on? ;)

---

The only one of the above I would seriously consider including on the list, despite their status as vermin, is Barranca.

For some *real* heroic deaths:

Abbot Mortimer, who was cruelly murdered by Cluny the Scourge, in the process of trying to defend his friends.

The Mask, the brother of the original Skipper, who died rescuing two young hedgehogs.

Boar the Fighter, the most powerful warrior in the Redwall lore, who was killed while crushing a horde of vermin on the shores outside Salamandastron.

Urthstripe, who died killing one of the most experienced and dangerous villains of all time (in Redwall history), directly saving his brother's life, and indirectly saving the lives of all the others who would have been killed if Ferahgo had been able to rally his horde, in the process.

Romsca the Corsair, who, with her crew, defeated Lask Frildur and his Monitors, an extremely dangerous force, and thus saved the life of the Father Abbot.

Russa Nodrey and unnamed badgers, who died fighting vermin, to save the life of the badger that would become known as Russano.

Rockjaw Grang, who perished battling a company of Rapscallions, to save his friends.

Ah indeed.  Mortimer's death and Rockjaw Grang's death were pretty heroic.

Do you always have to start with list of vermin?

James Gryphon

QuoteDo you always have to start with list of vermin?
Well, I've only done it one other time, so far.

The vermin are almost as important to the Redwall stories as the heroes are, and at least some of the time, they're actually more interesting, for me. I feel that the heroes don't always show the most distinct personalities; it's the villains that are always different and are given the chance to shine (even if it's just by their going insane or showing off a major personality disorder).

I can even say there's been one or two times where I almost wanted the vermin to win just because the heroes were getting on my nerves. ;)

I mean, not *really*... but still.

Besides, I also felt it was kind of funny to do the reversal thing (especially since everyone else tends to have gone through the most common answers after the first three posts or so anyway).
« Subject to editing »

martins#1fan

Not really heroic but tragic, Rose's death.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Redwall Musician

I find the most heroic deaths are the ones that go unmentioned, hardly noticed. The ones who fight in battles, dying with honor. Some of which we know not their names. But they are there. Fighting to the last, as brave as any hero.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Icefire

Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 06, 2011, 12:18:21 AM
I find the most heroic deaths are the ones that go unmentioned, hardly noticed. The ones who fight in battles, dying with honor. Some of which we know not their names. But they are there. Fighting to the last, as brave as any hero.
I agree. In a lot of the books it is mentioned that many long patrol, guosim, etc. die in the battle, but you rarely know the names of them all. A lot of the time you only know the names of the funny youngsters and the outstanding officers. It reminds me of real history when you hear things like "10 million Allied troops and 6 million Axis troops were killed in WWII". Now I know it would be extremely difficult (and very impractical) to name them all, but they still deserve some recognition.

Way off topic, I know, but does anyone else find it strange that the spellcheck tries to correct you when you use words like "Guosim"?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Captain Tammo

I think Luke the warrior had a pretty amazing death, along with Ranguvar Foeseeker and the rest of the slaves that died on the gorleech. Also I'd like to agree with James Gryphon in saying that the Mask's death was extremely heroic. The others were too, just those two are the ones that really stick out to me right now
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

sabretache5611

Quote from: Icefire on July 06, 2011, 12:31:58 AM
I agree. In a lot of the books it is mentioned that many long patrol, guosim, etc. die in the battle, but you rarely know the names of them all. A lot of the time you only know the names of the funny youngsters and the outstanding officers. It reminds me of real history when you hear things like "10 million Allied troops and 6 million Axis troops were killed in WWII". Now I know it would be extremely difficult (and very impractical) to name them all, but they still deserve some recognition.

Way off topic, I know, but does anyone else find it strange that the spellcheck tries to correct you when you use words like "Guosim"?
ah you're right and wow...they should modify spellcheck.  can we get back to topic?

Osu

I agree. One example might be Fortpetal of Outcast of Redwall - she died doing her duty.

As for epic AND heroic, I think Boar the Fighter or Butty Woppscut... off the top of my head, at least. Butty especially - he gave Tam the time he needed to escape and, eventually, defeat Gulo. Pretty important role when you think about it. :D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Tiria Wildlough

My favourite is Cregga's, it brings tears to my eyes every time.
Also Boar the Fighter. He knew what had to be done, so he did it. Euulaaaliiaaaa!!!
(you can tell that my favourite species is badgers.)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

*Spoiler* Fatch death in the Bellmaker. He died protecting his mate, fulfilling a promise he made. Fatch was one of my favourite characters, so that was pretty sad. Still, it certainly was heroic, IMO. Also Felldoh's death in Martin the Warrior, he died while giving Badrang a taste of his own medicine!

Received mostly negative reviews.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 06, 2011, 03:04:50 AM
I agree. One example might be Fortpetal of Outcast of Redwall - she died doing her duty.

As for epic AND heroic, I think Boar the Fighter or Butty Woppscut... off the top of my head, at least. Butty especially - he gave Tam the time he needed to escape and, eventually, defeat Gulo. Pretty important role when you think about it. :D

Butty Woppscut went down fighting to the last throwing his snapped rapier back at the enemy.  heroic.