News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Manly Thread

Started by phoenixfoden, October 28, 2012, 01:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie Willowwater

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 24, 2017, 01:02:30 AM
Am I a man or not? Because I haven't seen horror movies.

Good Skarzs. *Hands Skarzs a bar of chocolate*

Andy

I've seen loads of horror movies. Never screamed or anything like that either. Horror is the best genre. Especially if you're viewing it with someone who scares easily.
Only actions can speak the truth.

Wylder Treejumper

I wouldn't scream. Just get sick as I try to rationalize and normalize the obviously unrationalizable and unnormalizable events going on onscreen. Also feel my mind wither in moral protest.

So yeah, I don't like horror. I'm not going to scream, but I probably will throw up. Maybe for some people, that's a compelling feeling, but if you ask me nausea isn't particularly entertaining.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Andy

I never felt nausea from any form of media, no matter the genre. Nausea is definitely not appealing, but I honestly don't see how horror films (aside from slashers that are overly gory) would generate nausea, in the first place. I actually prefer psychological horror to other kinds, and despite loving the genre I do know a lot of horror movies are of poor quality and that's unfortunate.

The appeal is the rush of adrenaline, among other things I'm much too tired to try and get into. Obviously it's not everyone's thing. My best friend actually hates horror.
Only actions can speak the truth.

The Skarzs

That's what I like about suspense. Gets the adrenaline without stuff that is messed up.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

It was good. It wasn't scary. Just too loud. Pennywise was a good actor, too.

ALSO, READING FICTIONAL SCARY STORIES DOESN'T SCARE ME. But I don't have patience for a 1000+ page book.

Cornflower MM

. . . Those are the best, though. . . .

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Ashleg on September 24, 2017, 02:13:10 AM
It was good. It wasn't scary. Just too loud. Pennywise was a good actor, too.

ALSO, READING FICTIONAL SCARY STORIES DOESN'T SCARE ME. But I don't have patience for a 1000+ page book.

I didn't say it was scary, I said it was horrifying. Like it's sickening and difficult to read. Like the club scene in The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic, or Half Bad by Sally Green.

That's a point. @Cornflower MM Did you ever find it hard to read the first Half Bad book. Like I don't mean you had to put it down, because I was enthralled, but like, because its so horrific what Nathan goes through you feel kinda ill?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Definitely.

EDIT: It also made me feel like a wimp, because there's no way I would have been able to do that.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Andy on September 24, 2017, 01:35:34 AM
I never felt nausea from any form of media, no matter the genre. Nausea is definitely not appealing, but I honestly don't see how horror films (aside from slashers that are overly gory) would generate nausea, in the first place. I actually prefer psychological horror to other kinds, and despite loving the genre I do know a lot of horror movies are of poor quality and that's unfortunate.

The appeal is the rush of adrenaline, among other things I'm much too tired to try and get into. Obviously it's not everyone's thing. My best friend actually hates horror.
Like I said earlier, the nausea is actually mostly psychological for me. As far as I understand it, it comes from things that oppose the very nature of my worldview. Normally, if I meet something I am confused or don't understand, I can alter my perception of the way the world works to account for that fact. Horror movies present events and circumstances so extremely at odds to what I consider the fundamental nature of reality that I simply reject the premise of the entire thing, which somehow makes me sick. I don't understand it entirely; it is some form of cognitive dissonance, I think. That's why I can watch and analyze small pieces of horror, but as soon as I get drawn into the actual narrative, I have to stop. It also explains why some types of horror simply don't provoke any sort of reaction from me (mostly overly-corporeal type horror), because I simply reject the premise from the beginning.

I think, in no small part, my overly analytical and overtly moralist nature make any enjoyment of horror an impossibility.

(Also the fact that Mormons really aren't supposed to watch R-rated films. That cuts out pretty much all of the genre)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg

Bah. Trying to find logic in fantasy just ruins the fun.

Wylder Treejumper

That's not the issue, it opposes my foundational ideas about reality. It's not something I do on purpose, like I choose what meal I eat, it's just the way I comprehend things. Try changing your basic cognitive processes, and tell me how it works ::)
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

The Skarzs

Wylder Treejumper, everyone.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Delthion

Quote from: Maudie on September 24, 2017, 01:15:24 AM
I've never actually seen a horror movie.

I was going to say same...but I actually remember having watched several episodes of Dark Shadows. Really old horror series focusing on a really old vampire for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.