News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Species

Started by ZaniatheBlack, February 25, 2013, 11:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZaniatheBlack

It has come to my attention that Brian has included many different species in his books, but that while he had one striped animal, badgers, there is the absence of another striped creature, a skunk! I think a skunk or two would be a great add-on to the books. They are an inspiration in many other books, comics, cartoons (and even to me.) all over the world, of course, Brian wouldn't have included them anyway since skunks do not live in Europe. But I bet he could've come up with some pretty awesome skunk characters! They waddle when they walk, they have a unique defense mechanism, they have big fluffy tails, what's not to love?  ;D Personally, they are my favorite animal, after cats of course. I LOVE cats.  :D  ;)  :-*
I am Zania the Black cat and I fear nobeast, and I vow that whoever made the stars that shine, whoever made green trees of pine, whoever dreamed up fish and mice, or sun and rain and snow and ice, that I MUST have the power in my paws,to help when there's a worthy cause!!!

R.I.P. Rose of Noonvale

Dannflower Reguba

I've always imagined skunks as Redwall-y.  :) It could add a lot to the stories.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: danflorreguba on February 25, 2013, 11:53:11 PM
I've always imagined skunks as Redwall-y.  :) It could add a lot to the stories.

Well otters, badgers, wolverines, ferrets, weasels, Stoats are all relatives of Skunks....And Skunks are some times called polecats (which is in the book Mattimeo) and wolverines also can spray the same odor as the skunk.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

321tumbler

Here's a question. Would the skunk be generally good or bad if Brian Jacques had put them in Redwall.

Leatho Shellhound

Mostlikely bad. They eat moles!!!

click the banner

Dannflower Reguba

I see Skunks as being good, they are very defensive creatures, and bear in mind that badgers are very vicious, and most likely eat moles in real life as well.  ;)

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Leatho Shellhound

click the banner

ZaniatheBlack

I think they could be either one, but I agree with Dann. But anyways I watched a nature show a while back about skunks. It actually said that skunks had their own special family called Mephitidae, scientists at first thought skunks were part of the weasel family but apparently some chromosome or other proved that they were different. Lots of people still think they belong to the weasel family, I didn't know either until I watched it. *shrug* go figure, huh?  btw I also heard about a skunk called the spotted skunk with spotted fur instead of striped, it is the only tree-climbing skunk and it can spray while standing on it's front paws. Amazing right!  :o
I am Zania the Black cat and I fear nobeast, and I vow that whoever made the stars that shine, whoever made green trees of pine, whoever dreamed up fish and mice, or sun and rain and snow and ice, that I MUST have the power in my paws,to help when there's a worthy cause!!!

R.I.P. Rose of Noonvale

321tumbler

So it's like a squirrel skunk? I actually think that skunks would make a good nueteral. They'd live alone in the woods and they would be hostile to everyone.

Dannflower Reguba

There's no totally neutral species in Redwall (excepting fish, and some lizards) Skunks don't fall under the kind of creature one would expect to be neutral. Neither the wolverine, or the Badger are neutral, same with wildcats. (Though wolves might be neutral?) So yeah, that's my long-winded way of saying that I don't personally believe that Skunks WOULD be neutral if they were in the series.  :)

Tam and Martin

I would imagine a skunk bad

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

redwallgurl

I guess a skunk would remind me more of a vole minus the grouchiness and annoyingness.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Dannflower Reguba

I'd have to say I see a skunk as being mischevious and funny.

Redwallfan7

Even though they're from Australia, I've always wanted to see Wallabies in there. I know it couldn't work because the animals have to be European
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Captain Tammo

I remember coming up with skunk characters for fun! Imagine a fort in the woods populated entirely by skunks! It'd be inpenitrable!!!

And what if he included  porcupines! I know there are hedgehogs, but c'mon a porcupine would be like a GIANT HEDGEHOG WITH BIGGER SPIKES! They'd be true warriors!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior