Mariel or LaterRose

Started by rachel25, March 30, 2013, 04:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is Mariel or Rose (A.K.A LaterRose) better???

Mariel
11 (45.8%)
LaterRose
13 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Leatho Shellhound

I didn't hate her, she just wasn't may favorite.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Romsca

#nook

Quote from: danflorreguba on March 31, 2013, 07:11:22 PM
Late Rose by far, she's a character that's actually worth liking, Mariel was very pushy, bossy, what ever you want to call it, I hated her.

Same here! I just disliked Laterose even more

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Romsca on March 31, 2013, 09:30:53 PM
#nook

Late Rose by far, she's a character that's actually worth liking, Mariel was very pushy, bossy, what ever you want to call it, I hated her.

Same here! I just hated Late Rose even more
What was wrong with Latrose?

Life is too short to rush through it.

Romsca

#nook

She just wasn't my favorite  :P

WoodenSpoon

I liked them both, but I don't think they are really comparable. Both were heroes, but they were different kinds. Rose was a hero emotionally. She was compassionate, brave, and ready to go to great lengths to help those she loved. The ideal warriors wife.

Mariel had a temper, tenacity, and the ability to whack seagulls with a rope. She was more of an "action hero" so to speak. I loved the part where she beaned the poor little .... hedgehog? I forget. And felt terrible about it.

Now that I have thought about it, I think I prefer Laterose, though I find Mariel intensely amusing.

On a side note, is it really necessary to use a word as strong as "hate"? I mean, even if you absolutely despise the characters, expressing it that way is bound to upset someone who likes them, and then there would be trouble. Not trying to mini-mod here, just saying...

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: WoodenSpoon on March 31, 2013, 10:03:34 PM
I liked them both, but I don't think they are really comparable. Both were heroes, but they were different kinds. Rose was a hero emotionally. She was compassionate, brave, and ready to go to great lengths to help those she loved. The ideal warriors wife.

Mariel had a temper, tenacity, and the ability to whack seagulls with a rope. She was more of an "action hero" so to speak. I loved the part where she beaned the poor little .... hedgehog? I forget. And felt terrible about it.

Comparing them, I think I prefer Laterose, though I find Mariel intensely amusing.

On a side note, is it really necessary to use a word as strong as "hate"? I mean, even if you absolutely despise the characters, expressing it that way is bound to upset someone who likes them, and then there would be trouble. Not trying to mini-mod here, just saying...
That's just what I felt about both Laterose and Mariel.

Dannflower Reguba

After having talked to so many Rose haters, it's hard to find sympathy for another character when you're busy defending your own, and I REALLY dislike Mariel.... She was mean, you have to admit that! It drove me up the wall and I couldn't help but feel bad for Dandin.

Not trying to be rude to anyone here, just how I feel about Mariel.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: danflorreguba on March 31, 2013, 11:57:56 PM
After having talked to so many Rose haters, it's hard to find sympathy for another character when you're busy defending your own, and I REALLY dislike Mariel.... She was mean, you have to admit that! It drove me up the wall and I couldn't help but feel bad for Dandin.

Not trying to be rude to anyone here, just how I feel about Mariel.
So do's that mean that Rose has your vote?

Leatho Shellhound

I did like the scene in the bellmaker where they throw the tiles at the vermin....But in truth I don't have a larg dislike for any character, vermin or not.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Dannflower Reguba

lol, OF COURSE!  :D I love Rose, she's awesome.  :)

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Free Thought

Tough call.  Not really two characters you can really compare.  Rose and Mariel were COMPLETELY different types and as such it is not a fair comparison.  
Rose, aka "Laterose" (you may want to change "LaterRose" as it's not the correct spelling), is a strong silent type.  She is brave when she has to be, but does not go looking for trouble.  She is an anchor to Martin who at this point in his life is pretty reckless.  She is kind and compassionate, but not afraid to stare injustice in the eye.

Mariel on the other hand (paw?) is a loud hero.  She will charge headlong into danger without a second glance backwards to see who is following her.  She is courageous and forthright, but tedious in her quick temper.  Though loyal to her friends, she is careless with feelings and very biased in her opinions (meaning pretty much everything is black and white with her).

Personally, I think Rose had better overall characterization and a more concise personage.  I know Jacques was criticized for making her, as some called her, "a damsel in fatal distress" (though she wasn't in my mind, but a tragic figure), so I think he was trying to portray a stronger female role in Mariel.  There were also reviews comparing Mariel to Martin, and Dandin to Rose, but meh, I dunno.  That's a different topic for a different time.

I just thought that Mariel was a character forced on you, where Rose was one you grew to love with the story.  So there it is.  A very long winded blurb that could have just been four words: I VOTE FOR ROSE.

Para the Mite

Quote from: Free Thought on April 01, 2013, 02:36:47 AM
Tough call.  Not really two characters you can really compare.  Rose and Mariel were COMPLETELY different types and as such it is not a fair comparison.  
Rose, aka "Laterose" (you may want to change "LaterRose" as it's not the correct spelling), is a strong silent type.  She is brave when she has to be, but does not go looking for trouble.  She is an anchor to Martin who at this point in his life is pretty reckless.  She is kind and compassionate, but not afraid to stare injustice in the eye.

Mariel on the other hand (paw?) is a loud hero.  She will charge headlong into danger without a second glance backwards to see who is following her.  She is courageous and forthright, but tedious in her quick temper.  Though loyal to her friends, she is careless with feelings and very biased in her opinions (meaning pretty much everything is black and white with her).

Personally, I think Rose had better overall characterization and a more concise personage.  I know Jacques was criticized for making her, as some called her, "a damsel in fatal distress" (though she wasn't in my mind, but a tragic figure), so I think he was trying to portray a stronger female role in Mariel.  There were also reviews comparing Mariel to Martin, and Dandin to Rose, but meh, I dunno.  That's a different topic for a different time.

I just thought that Mariel was a character forced on you, where Rose was one you grew to love with the story.  So there it is.  A very long winded blurb that could have just been four words: I VOTE FOR ROSE.

I agree. Though I never really felt Rose was unnecessary. Maybe a little perfect, but not at all helpless. She and Grumm, after all, made Martin and co.'s escape possible.

Though I may have gotten tired of the sweet-voiced little Miss Perfection, by the end I was so attached I still wound up in tears. Even on the who-knows-how-many re-reads.

Martin the Warrior is, I think, my favorite book in the series. I liked how realistically the characters acted, reacted, and grew through the hardship/experiences. It was the one time I didn't catch myself criticizing some aspect of the story and just enjoyed it.
'Paws of wrong meet paws of right,
As autumn leaves would turn.
Fates entangled in dawn's cruel light,
Where the lizard fires once burned.
The shadows of evil walk with thee, thy babe,
Dare ye wish it not to be true?
Wouldst thou seek the path of right,
If it brought only pain to you?'

rachel25

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on March 31, 2013, 09:00:19 PM

Same here!
she was only like that when she was Storm Gullwacker 8)

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: rachel25 on April 03, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

Same here!

NO SHE WASN'T! She was ALWAYS bossy and rude, you ever think about how terribly she treated her traveling companions? Every thing in the two books eventually centered around her. People are constantly accusing Rose of being a Mary Sue. Anyone ever stop to think about Mariel? THERE'S a Mary Sue for you.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: danflorreguba on April 03, 2013, 04:32:59 PM
Quote from: rachel25 on April 03, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

Same here!

NO SHE WASN'T! She was ALWAYS bossy and rude, you ever think about how terribly she treated her traveling companions? Every thing in the two books eventually centered around her. People are constantly accusing Rose of being a Mary Sue. Anyone ever stop to think about Mariel? THERE'S a Mary Sue for you.
How can somebody think that Rose was like Mary Sue!?