News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Polleekin-Why exacly didn't she tell Martin about Rose's death?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, May 17, 2013, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

When I first finished Martin the Warrior, there was one question that kept on bugging me- why didn't Polleekin tell Martin and his friends that Rose would die at Marshank? I looked it up on the Redwall wiki. It said, and I quote, "However she did not want to share her visions with others in order not to give them false hopes or bring them unconfirmed reason for sadness." It made sense somewhat, but it just wasn't good enough. She could have saved allot of sadness for Martin and the others if she had told about Rose's death.
Now, I understand that BJ had to make Rose die to have the story of Martin fit in with Mossflower, but with everything there has to be some explanation.
That's what I intend to do here with the case about Rose's death and Polleekin not telling Martin about it.

Life is too short to rush through it.

GeminyaTome

She probably knew that Martin and Rose wouldn't believe her. Besides, she wanted them to be able to choose on their own, not be forced to choose with a bias.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Lutra

Some would say if they knew of future events (a crystal ball as it were) they would do more to protect themselves, or chance their life to live up to this prophecy that could happen.  That isn't living or life; that's something having total control over you.  If Martin had the knowledge that Rose would die at Marshank he might have taken more risks to keep her safe, and essentially die himself, a victim of the fear of losing Rose.  The fact he didn't know is likely why he survived and lived to avenge here and destroy Badrang.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Maudie

It's likely that Polleekin didn't know. She saw sorrow ahead for Martin but we don't know for sure if she knew what it would be.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Duxwing

Quote from: Lutra on May 18, 2013, 03:20:15 AM
Some would say if they knew of future events (a crystal ball as it were) they would do more to protect themselves, or chance their life to live up to this prophecy that could happen.  That isn't living or life; that's something having total control over you.  If Martin had the knowledge that Rose would die at Marshank he might have taken more risks to keep her safe, and essentially die himself, a victim of the fear of losing Rose.  The fact he didn't know is likely why he survived and lived to avenge here and destroy Badrang.

He could have also told Rose to wear a helmet.

-Duxwing

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

It'z zorto' zome future-zeein' rule. Zey cannae really actually tell zem ze actual zing, zey can only give ze cryptic talk.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Lutra

Dux, you're assuming she would have worn the helmet. ;)  But I think Rose would've been far more annoyed with Martin trying to protect her that there would've been more trouble for the group if he was so distracted.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on May 20, 2013, 02:32:27 AM
I think Rose would've been far more annoyed with Martin trying to protect her that there would've been more trouble for the group if he was so distracted.
But Polleekin knew that she would die at Fortress Marshank, not anywhere else. Couldn't she have just told Martin, nobody else, about were and how Rose would die?

Duxwing

Quote from: Lutra on May 20, 2013, 02:32:27 AM
Dux, you're assuming she would have worn the helmet. ;) 

Why couldn't Martin just say the following, then?

"Hey, Rose!  I've got good news, and bad news: the bad news is that the seer says that you're going to get your head smashed against a wall and die.  The good news is that wearing a helmet would probably prevent that."

Or

"Hey Rose.  There are old warriors, and there are bold warriors, but there are no old, bold warriors; I've asked the troops to make themselves some armor, so you should, too.  And apparently, according to the seer, especially a helmet."

Or

"Hey Rose, nothing personal, but the seer says that you're going to hit your head and die.  Maybe wearing a helmet would help."

Or

"Hey Rose, here's a helmet.  I've ordered the pigmy shrews that we rescued to pelt your head with rocks until we reach Marshank, so I suggest that you wear it."

Or even:

"Hey Rose, I love you, and while you probably think that I'm being overprotective in asking you to wear a helmet, I have good reason to suspect that you're going to hit your head hard on this assault and have been warning the others about other dangers that the seer foretold."

But I think Rose would've been far more annoyed with Martin trying to protect her

He could advise his entire unit to fashion themselves some crude armor, then.

that there would've been more trouble for the group if he was so distracted.

Telling Rose to wear a helmet would take... 3 seconds?  Couldn't Martin reason with her?

-Duxwing

Shadowed One

Well, you see, even if she had on a helmet, it doesn't mean she couldn't die. What if Badrang stabbed her first, or her helmet got knocked off?
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Shadowed One on May 21, 2013, 06:49:24 PM
Well, you see, even if she had on a helmet, it doesn't mean she couldn't die. What if Badrang stabbed her first, or her helmet got knocked off?
Never thought of that...oh, it just bugs me why Polleekin never told about Rose's death! As I have said before, she could explain it so that Martin would know were she would die and how she would die.

GeminyaTome

This might have been mentioned before, but Polleekin only saw sadness ahead for Martin. That could have meant anything: not getting the sword, someone he loves dying, many people dying, etc. Polleekin didn't see Rose's death, only sadness for Martin.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Shadowed One

Yeah, it says that she could only see things vaguely. I mean, the poem/riddle/map thing was very vague.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Ungatt Trunn

But, when asked what bad fortune awated them she said that it wasn't for her to say. Also, the book also states that Polleekin also told Boldred about it. If she didn't have her facts straite, then why tell anybody else?

Duxwing

Quote from: Shadowed One on May 21, 2013, 06:49:24 PM

Sure, she might die despite wearing a helmet.  However, we have no guarantee that Badrang would not hurl Rose anyway, so wearing a helmet is logical given that we have evidence that she will be hurled against a wall.

On the other hand, what if Polleekin knows that she is not a seer but a crazy beast who has hallucinations.

-Duxwing