Polleekin-Why exacly didn't she tell Martin about Rose's death?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, May 17, 2013, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: GeminyaTome on May 28, 2013, 11:47:14 PM
Quote from: Lutra on May 25, 2013, 01:48:06 AM
Never gathered that Polleekin would have hallucinations from the text or description of her.  Usually Mr. Jacques is pretty black and white with his characters and descriptions.  If she was cuckoo, you'd know (e.g. Madd the squirrel).

You could add to that Mad Maudie, from Lord Brocktree

Mad Maudie was NOT mad!! She was an awesome boxing hare!

And she was from the book Eulalia!:)
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Duxwing

Quote from: Shadowed One on May 27, 2013, 01:44:38 PM
If she did, they might not have gone, and Martin wouldn't have gotten his sword, and Redwall wouldn't be built, etc. So Rose kind of HAD to die.

But it could have been handled better.  That's the point of the thread.

-Duxwing

Leatho Shellhound

Yes, Rose could have stayed, and not gone to the battle.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

GeminyaTome

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on May 29, 2013, 12:59:03 AM
Quote from: GeminyaTome on May 28, 2013, 11:47:14 PM
Quote from: Lutra on May 25, 2013, 01:48:06 AM
Never gathered that Polleekin would have hallucinations from the text or description of her.  Usually Mr. Jacques is pretty black and white with his characters and descriptions.  If she was cuckoo, you'd know (e.g. Madd the squirrel).
You could add to that Mad Maudie, from Lord Brocktree

Mad Maudie was NOT mad!! She was an awesome boxing hare!

Her name implies that she wasn't all together...

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on May 29, 2013, 12:59:03 AM

And she was from the book Eulalia!:)

oops.... This is sad. I need to re-read some more Redwalls!! It's been too long! Now that summer has started maybe I can get some more in!
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Duxwing on May 29, 2013, 02:50:03 AM
Quote from: Shadowed One on May 27, 2013, 01:44:38 PM
If she did, they might not have gone, and Martin wouldn't have gotten his sword, and Redwall wouldn't be built, etc. So Rose kind of HAD to die.

But it could have been handled better.  That's the point of the thread.

-Duxwing
Yes, Polleekin could of explained to Martin that Rose would die, and Martin could tell Rose, and she might of actually lived.
Also, if Polleekin did tell Martin about it, couldn't have Rose just stayed at Noonvale, completely out of harms way?

Life is too short to rush through it.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Even if Polleekin 'ad told zem, zomezin' elze vould ztill 'ave 'appened. Unfortunately, zat'z ze vay ztuff like ziz vorkz.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on May 31, 2013, 11:12:10 PM
Even if Polleekin 'ad told zem, zomezin' elze vould ztill 'ave 'appened. Unfortunately, zat'z ze vay ztuff like ziz vorkz.
How do we know Rose would have died if she had sterred clear of Marshank?

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

phoenixfoden

Reminds me of a video game called fable where the blind seeress called theresa tells the hero only that the path to save the world will result in sacrifices,these sacrifices reveal themselves later and they are not nice.

If pollekin had told martin would he have gone on his misson?would he change his mind at the thought of his love being harmed?
I think it was best of pollekin to keep that secret otherwise mossflower would have become compleatly different.

KitrallStreamrippler

I agree with phoenixfoden, but I will put my (basically same) reasons in different words.

I believe that Polleekin couldn't tell Martin because, well, the space-time continuum. (Not that she would have any knowledge of that, necessarily, but mucking about with time is a serious business. There can be some major repercussions.) Even though they would not be time-traveling, I think that even knowing too much (like what Doc says in Back To The Future) can affect EVERYTHING. Seriously, having an excess of knowledge about the future can really mess stuff up. Time is a wonderful but terrifying thing.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Free Thought

Agreed. 

Unfortunately, Rose had to die for the sake of the Redwall Series.  I mean, if Polleekin had told Martin (that is to say she saw the vision clear enough) that Rose was going to die, Martin would have found a way to protect her.  Then Rose would have survived and Martin would have gone back to Noonvale.  Her death was essential for him to leave the north and wander into Mossflower, as unfortunate and sad is circumstances may be.

Just an observation here... Does anyone else find that the whole Martin/Rose thing seems to be the most questioned, debated and possibly loved topic about the Redwall series? 

Makes you wonder if Jacques had a larger plan in mind before his untimely death... possibly an answer to the questions... I mean we know Martin goes on a secret quest from Gonff's journal, yes we are told Grumm planted a rose bush on Rose's grave, but we aren't told when, we never 'see' Rose buried or an actual 'grave'... just things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Free Thought on June 03, 2013, 05:05:37 AM

Just an observation here... Does anyone else find that the whole Martin/Rose thing seems to be the most questioned, debated and possibly loved topic about the Redwall series? 

Makes you wonder if Jacques had a larger plan in mind before his untimely death... possibly an answer to the questions... I mean we know Martin goes on a secret quest from Gonff's journal, yes we are told Grumm planted a rose bush on Rose's grave, but we aren't told when, we never 'see' Rose buried or an actual 'grave'... just things that make you go hmmmmmm.....
Yea, it does seem to be... when I first finished Martin The Warrior, I though that BJ wouldn't let things slip like that that easily. Perhaps he was working on a work about them before he died...
Also, I think that Martin The Warrior might be the central book in the Redwall series. It is that book that makes every other Redwall book (With the exception of Lord Brocktree) what they are. Without that book, the other Redwall just wouldn't be the same...

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 03, 2013, 07:47:34 PM

Yea, it does seem to be... when I first finished Martin The Warrior, I though that BJ wouldn't let things slip like that that easily. Perhaps he was working on a work about them before he died...
Also, I think that Martin The Warrior might be the central book in the Redwall series. It is that book that makes every other Redwall book (With the exception of Lord Brocktree) what they are. Without that book, the other Redwall just wouldn't be the same...

Aye, it tellz a bit aboot vhere Martin comez from (vhich iz then furzered by Ze Legend O' Luke) an' ov' 'e came tae be travellin', az vell az talkin' aboot 'iz zvord.

It vaz alzae ze firzt Redwall book zat ah read, zae it iz zorta ze central book in ze zeriez for me taae.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 04, 2013, 05:23:21 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 03, 2013, 07:47:34 PM

Aye, it tellz a bit aboot vhere Martin comez from (vhich iz then furzered by Ze Legend O' Luke) an' ov' 'e came tae be travellin', az vell az talkin' aboot 'iz zvord.

It vaz alzae ze firzt Redwall book zat ah read, zae it iz zorta ze central book in ze zeriez for me taae.
Yep :) In a way, it might be a good book for a starter of the Redwall series, though I still do think that Lord Brocktree should be the first book for a starter.

Tiria Wildlough

This is a really good point. I never really thought of it like that, but if Martin had warned Rose, and she had listened, things might have seriously changed. :o Someone should write a fanfiction about that...
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.