Polleekin-Why exacly didn't she tell Martin about Rose's death?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, May 17, 2013, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on June 04, 2013, 10:34:54 PM
This is a really good point. I never really thought of it like that, but if Martin had warned Rose, and she had listened, things might have seriously changed :o
In what way do you think?
Someone should write a fanfiction about that...
And several people have!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 04, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
This is a really good point. I never really thought of it like that, but if Martin had warned Rose, and she had listened, things might have seriously changed :o
I dunno, but the book Mossflower definitely wouldn't be the same. :(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on June 04, 2013, 10:40:16 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 04, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
I dunno, but the book Mossflower definitely wouldn't be the same. :(
Thats pretty much the only reason BJ had Rose die; Mossflower was written first, so he had to make Martin The Warrior fit in with it :-\

Kitsune

This is a really good point. I never really thought of it like that, but if Martin had warned Rose, and she had listened, things might have seriously changed. :o

Not necessarily. Anybody here seen Pirates of the Caribean 4? Blackbeard knew what would happen, but he couldn't change it.

Free Thought

Yes, in this regard, fate is fate and there is no use running from it, so to speak.  I mean, even if Martin had left Rose at Noonvale or miraculously saved her during the Battle of Marshank, whose to say she would not have died anyway by some other cause, such as a fever or even childbirth (should Martin and her relationship have progressed that far)? 

In the grand scheme of Redwall, Rose had to die (unfortunately).  There is an old saying that 'to fear nothing is to love nothing' and perhaps that is what needed to happen to Martin in order for him to stare down Tsarmina.  Battling a wildcat when you are only a mouse would be a pretty fearful thing, whether you were fighting for a cause or not, it would no doubt chill the blood of any creature except those who had nothing to lose, but all to gain by death.  By Rose dying, Martin was able to more or less sacrifice himself for Mossflower, because he loved nothing he would leave behind by his death.

I suppose in this regard, whether or not Polleekin told Martin about Rose's death directly or not would have little effect on the outcome:  Martin's fate was decided that he would liberate Mossflower and in order for him to be fearless enough to do it, he had to lose the love of his life, fighting for the idea of peace that she held so dear.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: PluggFiretail on June 05, 2013, 03:28:08 PM
This is a really good point. I never really thought of it like that, but if Martin had warned Rose, and she had listened, things might have seriously changed. :o

Not necessarily. Anybody here seen Pirates of the Caribean 4? Blackbeard knew what would happen, but he couldn't change it.

Ve must alzae nae forget zat ze future iz nae zet in ztone. Often people 'ave fulfilled zere fate zimply becauze zey didnae believe zat zey could change it. Fortune tellin' predictz vot vill 'appen, but it doeznae zet it in ztone. (Of courze zince ziz iz ze Redwall zeriez, an' Mozzflover vaz vritten before Martin Ze Varrior, zomezin' ad tae 'appen. Zae ye could zay it vaz zet in ztone, or at least zet in paper.)
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

rachel25

someone wrote a fanfiction on what would have happened if Rose lived  ;) it's a good Fanfic but I don't know why Polleekin didn't tell them that Rose would die maybe she didn't want to interfere with fate  :-\ 

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: rachel25 on June 05, 2013, 04:55:56 PM
someone wrote a fanfiction on what would have happened if Rose lived  ;) it's a good Fanfic but I don't know why Polleekin didn't tell them that Rose would die maybe she didn't want to interfere with fate  :-\ 
An intresting though on the hole Polleekin thing. By the way, which Fanfiction are you talking about?

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Shadowed One

Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Mariel

Like all of you have been saying it would change all their fate, Martin wouldn't have left and then Mossfower wouldn't have been freed and it all just wouldn't work. That is why Polleekin didn't tell them, it might have seemed good on the top; but it would destroy everything.That's why you don't tell people(or creatures) their fate. It will mess up equilibrium.