News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Solitary Beaver

Started by Lutra, July 22, 2011, 02:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

Even when I first read Redwall many many years back and came across "the solitary beaver" who didn't even have a name, yet was helping Redwallers against Cluny, I almost found it amusing he was simply called "the solitary beaver".  He helped out a bit, but to not name your characters, just screams the fact the character is not that important in hindsight.  Its also the only time a beaver has ever shown up in Redwall because Mr. Jacques made it a point to mention that beavers aren't a native species to England.

Anyone else kind of get a chuckle reading about "the solitary beaver" who was forever nameless? :p
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! TEH BEAVERS HAVE PORTALS!!

Okay, random comment done.

I found him rather interesting. When I first read Redwall, I just thought of him as the beaver, and that was solid.
Helpful, but I think he was something of a blacksmith. That role seemingly became , in certain later books, something of the trade of cellarhogs. i.e. they took an interest in it, it wasn't really cellarkeeping persay, though blacksmithing is necessary for barrels and such.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lily

He always interested me too. There are so many questions! Why did he never have a name? What was he doing there in the first place? Beavers aren't native to Britain. I can only guess that since Redwall was the first book, Mr Jacques didn't quite have everything solidified yet.

Captain Tammo

Ok can somebody please explain to me why beavers are popping up all over the forum?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Taggerung_of_Redwall

xD. Try talking to HeadInAnotherGalaxy, I think he brought them here. The stoves only came afterwards after chainsaws and before egg rolls.

Lily

@Tammo: I believe it all started here.

Enjoy!

Log-a-Log

Although the beaver didn't have a name, it turned out to be pretty important. It helped Constance make the longbow that would have killed Cluny, but Redtooth was wearing Cluny's armor while Cluny was climbing the tree.
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Osu

LOL that beaver was hardly mentioned at all. And I didn't know beavers weren't native to Britain. That makes him quite a bit more interesting.

For the record, I'm pretty sure the Redwall beaver isn't one of the... the egg roll eating beavers... right, guys?  :-X
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 22, 2011, 03:48:28 PM
Although the beaver didn't have a name, it turned out to be pretty important. It helped Constance make the longbow that would have killed Cluny, but Redtooth was wearing Cluny's armor while Cluny was climbing the tree.

I thought twas Cheesethief?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

It was Cheesethief. I liked that rat, btw. And also a crossbow, not a longbow.

Log-a-Log

I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Gonff

Yes, the beaver always interested me. He was helpful with somethings, but you never got his name or really learned anything about his personality.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Log-a-Log

Did the beaver ever say anything? I haven't read Redwall in a while.

Matthias720

I don't recall the beaver ever speaking.

Storm

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 22, 2011, 04:35:15 PM
It was Cheesethief. I liked that rat, btw. And also a crossbow, not a longbow.
Isn't this also the only time that crossbows show up?
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare