News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Fish in Redwall

Started by Bloodwrath, November 18, 2013, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodwrath

There are several instances of the Redwall characters catching and eating fish.  Are fish supposed to be a "lower" animal compared to the rest of the characters.  It seems that almost every other species of animal is given life in Redwall except for fish.  Why do you think this is?  Just wanted to get some others thoughts on this.
(Not sure if this post goes in character discussion but wasn't sure where else to post it.)

Ungatt Trunn

I'm pretty sure this topic belongs here. :)

Well, not all the birds in Redwall were givin real characteristics, but the fish do appear to be the lowliest creature in the Redwall series (unless you count bugs :P). The diverse selection of characters in Redwall really gives it a real feeling.

Life is too short to rush through it.

The Shade

What I find interesting is this; Where is the boundery between something such as the snakefish to something like a fish that would live in the Redwall pond? Is  the fine line the ability to speak? I doubt the Redwallers would eat something that could talk before it was killed.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Bloodwrath

Quote from: The Shade on November 18, 2013, 07:47:23 PM
What I find interesting is this; Where is the boundery between something such as the snakefish to something like a fish that would live in the Redwall pond? Is  the fine line the ability to speak? I doubt the Redwallers would eat something that could talk before it was killed.

That was my thought, surely they would treat them as equals if they could speak and carry on intelligent conversation.  But they seem to be lower in status because they are caught and eaten.  There are even examples of the woodlanders capturing fish like with Stormfin in Mossflower. 

Tam and Martin

I think they are "Lower" than the regular creatures. In the first book, the Redwallers actually ate fish and didn't seem to care that it died.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tam and Martin on November 18, 2013, 08:52:03 PM
I think they are "Lower" than the regular creatures. In the first book, the Redwallers actually ate fish and didn't seem to care that it died.
Yea, when the Aboot said grace over it, he said something like "Silver fish, your life we take only for a meal to make".

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 18, 2013, 10:52:16 PM
Yea, when the Aboot said grace over it, he said something like "Silver fish, your life we take only for a meal to make".
Exactly. But they wouldn't be eating it if it spoke so they are probably a "Lower creature'

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tam and Martin on November 19, 2013, 11:42:26 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 18, 2013, 10:52:16 PM
Exactly. But they wouldn't be eating it if it spoke so they are probably a "Lower creature'
Anything that can't speak and is easy enough to catch as food can be considered a "lower creature".

Osu

I think the ability to speak isn't the line for eatables so much as just sentience in general. Birds display a higher level of understanding, so it'd make sense they are considered on the same level as other animals, even if their ability to communicate isn't understood, like the Sparra. I imagine they wouldn't eat a fish if it were kept as a pet (like the walking stone) or displayed some sort of intelligent life (...dolphins?)
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Leatho Shellhound

The large fish in the book Doomwyte couldn't speak, we know this b/c the snake kept making things up. Also, regards to birds, the swan in the book The Legen of Luke didn't seen able to talk.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tam and Martin

And the swan in Mossflower.

Bloodwrath

Yes, I was going to bring up the swan not speaking as well.  Or at least from interactions in the books they don't seem to speak.  It seems to me like there is some disparity between the creatures that can and can't speak.  If swans don't speak, why can owls?  Both are large birds, but one talks and the other doesn't.  Little off the topic but I think it fits into the argument about creatures that don't speak being a lower class of animal. 

Ungatt Trunn

But the Redwall series says that the swans were "deaf" swans. Can't this mean that there are some speaking swans somewhere?

Bloodwrath

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 20, 2013, 04:18:21 PM
But the Redwall series says that the swans were "deaf" swans. Can't this mean that there are some speaking swans somewhere?

There probably are, I just wonder why Jacques would decide not to give all creatures some sort of intelligence through speech. Seems like there would be more opportunity for interaction and characters if all could speak.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Bloodwrath on November 20, 2013, 04:27:40 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 20, 2013, 04:18:21 PM

There probably are, I just wonder why Jacques would decide not to give all creatures some sort of intelligence through speech. Seems like there would be more opportunity for interaction and characters if all could speak.
I don't think it would be intresting for creatures to talk to bugs. ;D