News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

A Norham Fan-fic competition!

Started by Norham Waterpaw, February 18, 2014, 01:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norham Waterpaw

Well, all of you have probably made a fan-fic or two (Considering Osu's contest just ended.).  :)

I was waiting for Osu's contest to end so I could post this (so all of you writers wouldn't die from writing)

:D

So, If you want to write a fan-fic on my Character (Norham Raycenius Waterpaw), sign up here.
I'll be the judge, and may you not get writer's block.
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Osu

If I ever get a free moment to write I am so going to enter! >:3 Are there any rules for the competition? When does the contest end?

Also, would you be able to put Norham's information up in this thread? Hard to write a story on the chap without knowing how he thinks and all o' that, wot?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Osu on February 18, 2014, 01:27:15 AM
If I ever get a free moment to write I am so going to enter! >:3 Are there any rules for the competition? When does the contest end?

Also, would you be able to put Norham's information up in this thread? Hard to write a story on the chap without knowing how he thinks and all o' that, wot?

My thoughts exactly
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Norham Waterpaw

Sorry, should have written at the bottom; "Will add more later." Sorry, my schedule was a little tight.  ;D

Well, now is later, so:

Norham, when he was younger, was abandoned in a raid by the white Wildcat, Riggaeo Starswift. His parents (who had just run) were killed. The entire village of otters on the northern shores was burned to the ground. He was the lone survivor. In a burst of anger, he rushed Riggaeo. Riggaeo struck him on the head with the pommel of his sword, and left him for dead, leaving a star shaped scar on his fore-head.

This head trauma left him with a form of insanity. His eyes would go white, and he would go into a fit of insane rage. He met Tobias and Jeremias, a Badger and a retired Salamandastron hare.
The three became friends, and with their help, Norham's rages subsided. He got them occasionally, but they died away quickly.

Generally, he's very loyal. He can be annoying at times, but always remains a true friend. He has a somewhat short temper.

He's got black fur.

Anything else I need to add? *gasps for breath* *typing hands cramp*  ;D
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Osu

Feast on cookies whilst your typing hands soak in epsom salty water! D: And hug a kitten, that's the best cure for typing hands, I swear by it.

....er, on that note, I have a few questions. No hurry in answering, of course; I can certainly wait until you have all of your contest details ironed out, at least! But here they are for the sake of asking before I forget or something equally silly. Where was Norham's family's home located, exactly? What were his parents like? The rest of his family? The place he spent his early years in? How old was he when he had that unfortunate incident with Riggaeo? How old was he when he met up with the badger/hare? What were the badger/hare doing when they found Norham?

Also, I'd like more thorough personality information, if that's okay. I'll need a very extensive look at how he thinks and why he does what he does (and what, exactly, he does in the first place) before I can feel like I know him well enough to write from his point of view. For example, as much information as you can give from the prompts from this site  and this site (you'll have to switch 'skin' to 'fur' and so on.) Also, if you were to fill out a handy dandy quick reference guide like this one or this one I would find it most useful. :)

I would also like to read some examples of writing which features Norham thinking, speaking, and reacting; as well as any kind of illustration of his quirks and mannerism and so on. Passages from roleplays and fanfictions would work.

Norham Waterpaw

Well, here you go:

Village location: Northern shores, sort of near where Martin's village would have been. That region.
His parents: Wonderful. Dad always took him fishing and hunting.
Rest of Family: More of the laid-back type. Not as adventurous.
Place where he spent most of his early years: That village.
He was 11 seasons old when Riggaeo came.
And he was 12 seasons old when he met Tobias and Jeremias.
Tobias and Jeremias were having an adventure of their own. Jeremias (a retired corporal) was sent to find the next Badger Lord of Salamandastron. He found Tobias, and they began talking. They then found Norham, collapsed on the road.

He, Tobias, and Jeremias all travel as a group. You could almost call them a troupe, but they don't really act. They cook, bake, play music, and fight for a good cause. Their regular day involves cooking, singing, helping woodlanders, and slugging a few vermin.

Now, back to Norham specifically:
He thinks very straight forward, and to the point. His first plan of action is negotiation, and if that doesn't work, it's bone breaking time.
He generally has a good sense of humor, even when death stares him in the face.

Roleplay posts for you to read:

Norham was in one of his crazed rages again, fighting through all odds of losing. The vermin had to retreat, for just seeing a crazed otter, a badger, and a trained fighting hare sent the archers off in a mad scramble. The catapulters ( is that a word? ) would not budge, they kept a heavy bombardment on the walls and main gate from the safety of the other side of the ditch. The vermin around the catapults formed firing lines, one group fire, drop, and the next group would fire. Slingstones and arrows peppered the small war party of three. They had to retreat, Tobias having to drag Norham away from the fight. Norham had seen his foe, the great White Wildcat, Riggaeo Starswift.

Norham was finally calmed down, he sat with his back against a young oak tree. He stared at the monolithic building. Redwall, he finally made it to Redwall. His thoughts were interupted by Tobias' yelling. "Ahoy, up on the walls! There happens to be a vermin horde at your front gate, mind if we come in through this one?" Norham could not help but chuckle. Tobias, no matter how dire the situation, could always keep a sarcastic sense of humor.

Norham was plotting a way out of his prison. "How hard could it possibly be to get out of this thing?" He thought to himself.
A vermin walked too closely under the cage.

(Now remember here, Norham is being gaurded by archers, ready for an epic escape?)

Norham grabbed the vermin, who happened to be a slave driver, Olgemas, and pulled him up in front of the bars of his raised cage. A gaurd shot at Norham, but only hit Olgemas. Norham reached around, ripped out the arrow, and sliced the rope that was suspending him from the tree. Before he hit the ground, he had already picked the lock, with the same arrow. Norham ran for his life, but not into the woods, but into the camp. He found his stuff, and ran, knowing he could see Riggaeo at any moment, and go into a rage.
He needed an army to help him out of this, and the next best thing happened. He heard a loud cry from the woods. "LOGALOGALOGALOGALOGALOG!!!" Slingstones rained on the enemy like angry hornets. With no time for introduction, Norham ran with the strange, spiky-furred small beasts. They all retreated toward
Redwall. All those on the wall could see the shrews and one otter being chased by an entire horde.

Should that about do it? *gasps* *hands wither*

The Skarzs

Great, that explains a lot. A little hard to write without knowledge ;).
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Osu

Yes, that's very helpful, thank you! (I'll go get some more cookies for your hands. And a cake.) Is it alright if I pepper you with questions throughout the contest (for example, "let's say I've theoretically got Norham having to choose between killing a rat to save a mouse or letting a rat kill the mouse so he can kill the warlord thereby stopping the war even though many more mice are still gonna get killed. What would he do?" and stuff like that)?

Do please let us know when your contest is ending and such so I can have an idea of how long I'll have to plan and write and so on! :)

Norham Waterpaw

Um, yeah. You can ask me questions, but don't expect them to get answered immediately. (But I'll try!)

I plan on having this end on May 1st. Is that enough time? Probably not.  :P

EDIT: I need to add a reward, an incentive if you will.

Here are the prizes:

*1st place: 3 drawing requests that will go straight to the top of my to-do list.
*2nd place: 2 drawing requests, they will go right below 1st place's requests.
*3rd place: A drawing request, right below 2nd place's.

*will not be posted on my art thread, they will be pm'd right to you!

Osu

I'd have a hard time getting something done by March 1st, but I'll certainly try! :D

Norham Waterpaw

I can just change the date, ya' know?  ;D

Leatho Shellhound

Hmm... looks interesting! Although, It would be a little difficult to do it in that time frame. Contests have lasted as long as six months. Although that was some what extreme, it was due to the amount of submitters and the length of the fanfictions.

I would suggest around one-two mounths.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Norham Waterpaw

Date has been changed. ;D the stories are due by May 1st.

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Norham Waterpaw

I guess. I don't know how everyone else's stories are coming along. (If they've started.  ;D )