News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Fanfiction Requests and Trades

Started by Osu, February 23, 2014, 09:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 12, 2014, 12:34:03 AM
Quote from: rachel25 on May 09, 2014, 06:05:12 PM
Could someone write a story about Dark Forest? I've always had this idea that there are still battles going on there, and it would be cool if all the dead characters could get together, and fight an epic war!
I'll try it, though it might not come out as you expect.
I have written a poem on the topic of the Dark Forest, and it is here on the Fan Fiction board!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: cairn destop on August 28, 2014, 05:47:36 PM
Quote from: willruth on March 27, 2014, 04:51:57 PM

Yep, but I am writing one myself,
  I also think that there are not enough fanfictons that are as long as the original books! ;D ;D ;D

LOL --- You obviously haven't seen Highwinger's Crimson Badger series.  Think each of them would rival the original in length.  I'm not sure how long the books are, but I know several of mine exceed the 100K word length.  So there are such long stories out there.
Yeah writing a full lengthed book is a tough thing to do! Together, my two fanfics are probably only around the 80,000 word mark or less. Does anyone know how many words are in the average Jacques book?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

cairn destop

Figure 250 words to a page as average and 300 - 400 pages for a full length book.  That would be anywhere from 75K to 100K in length.  My guess is that the initial draft might run double that.  Always fascinates me how much of my material gets pruned from the first draft.

As an example, my first paragraph in "The New Arrivals" is about 75 words.  My first draft had it four paragraphs and 200 words.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

Darkenmal

Quote from: Captain Tammo on September 06, 2014, 11:35:50 PM
Quote from: cairn destop on August 28, 2014, 05:47:36 PM
Quote from: willruth on March 27, 2014, 04:51:57 PM

Yep, but I am writing one myself,
  I also think that there are not enough fanfictons that are as long as the original books! ;D ;D ;D

LOL --- You obviously haven't seen Highwinger's Crimson Badger series.  Think each of them would rival the original in length.  I'm not sure how long the books are, but I know several of mine exceed the 100K word length.  So there are such long stories out there.
Yeah writing a full lengthed book is a tough thing to do! Together, my two fanfics are probably only around the 80,000 word mark or less. Does anyone know how many words are in the average Jacques book?

Around 100-120k, from what I can remember.
"I closed my eyes, only to open them again. I did not know what to expect, but I was afraid of knowing the truth; the truth which my dreams have revealed..." - Swiftpaw, Lord of Salamandastron and the Defender of the Western Coast.

cairn destop

I sometimes wonder if the number of chapters, as well as the length of these chapters, can scare off potential readers.  I've learned from experience on another writing site that material over 3K words tends to have fewer comments than works below 1K.  Same thing with multi chaptered works.  If readers don't discover your material before the fourth or fifth chapter, the sheer number of chapters can discourage readers.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

shisteer of nothing much

While that is true, the comments you do get have a decent chance of actually being useful, rather than simply 'wow thats a great story i think its really cool and i like it alot'. (With no punctuation or capitals)
Personally, I look for longer stories. If I'm running short of time, I'll follow or favourite the story so I can still find it later.

Anyway, anybeast have story requests?
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on April 10, 2020, 06:22:58 AM
While that is true, the comments you do get have a decent chance of actually being useful, rather than simply 'wow thats a great story i think its really cool and i like it alot'. (With no punctuation or capitals)

The bane of fanfic reviews eeeeeverywhere XD

I don't have any ideas per say (at least, none I'd be willing to share ;D) but I am curious... did anyone do the rabbit in the Long Patrol story?
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on April 15, 2020, 04:32:11 PM
Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on April 10, 2020, 06:22:58 AM

The bane of fanfic reviews eeeeeverywhere XD
Lol. Yeah. (Though I'd rather take those than nothing! XD)

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on April 15, 2020, 04:32:11 PM
I don't have any ideas per say (at least, none I'd be willing to share ;D) but I am curious... did anyone do the rabbit in the Long Patrol story?
I don't know. *Puts radar on for potential rabbits in Black and White's Long Patrol*  :P
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

I'd like to read a story with some really strong family relationships. (Father-son sort of thing) I feel like, in Redwall, the young beasts don't really get much upbringing directly from their parents. It's normally the badgermum or somebeast who takes care of all the dibbuns, rather than each young one being personally mentored by their parents. I think it would make a good story to have two young beasts that both get brought up by their dad. Both dads are good fathers but they each have different strengths and weaknesses. Then show the young beasts when they're adults and how their father's upbringing has shaped each beast. (I'd like to write a story like that too but I have heaps of stories on the go already so I doubt I'll ever get 'round to it)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on April 24, 2020, 04:39:20 AM
I'd like to read a story with some really strong family relationships. (Father-son sort of thing) I feel like, in Redwall, the young beasts don't really get much upbringing directly from their parents. It's normally the badgermum or somebeast who takes care of all the dibbuns, rather than each young one being personally mentored by their parents. I think it would make a good story to have two young beasts that both get brought up by their dad. Both dads are good fathers but they each have different strengths and weaknesses. Then show the young beasts when they're adults and how their father's upbringing has shaped each beast. (I'd like to write a story like that too but I have heaps of stories on the go already so I doubt I'll ever get 'round to it)

*Becomes a salesman* Boy do I have a story for you! It's called Good Fences and it's by Airan (not sure if that's his FFN username it's just what I know him as...) The plot centers around a family of foxes and a family of otters who are made to live together due to circumstances. It's winter, they both have young ones and what will you and somewhat... different... methods of teaching them and raising them. It's very well-written and does focus heavily on the father-son relationship (though the mothers are still around and display common sense).

It's unfinished, and is one of those hiatus fics buuuut Airan is still alive and well so hopefully he'll manage to scrape something together. In the er- far future. :)

shisteer of nothing much

I'm sold. What is it called and where do I find it? (You make a great salesman, just saying)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

You should be able to find it on FFN if you search up 'Good Fences'. Don't forget to leave a few reviews ;) I'm also not sure about the total word count but it's shorter than the Grey Warlord so you should manage.

So. Fanfic requests. Redwall/Welkin Weasels crossovers anyone? I thought of one that sounds pretty fun and would like to hear any suggestions you lot had in that regard.

shisteer of nothing much

Sweet, thanks. I won't forget the reviews.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Kolman

so I guess my works not getting read then because I go for the longer content
For those we cherish we die in glory.

The Grey Coincidence

Quote from: Kolman on April 27, 2020, 02:14:46 PM
so I guess my works not getting read then because I go for the longer content

Possibly, but it's not always true. Black and White is over two hundred thousand words long and still ongoing and I like to think has garnered a large audience. There are other factors to consider as well when it comes to viewership. How active is the fandom? What site are you publishing on? What stories are you (in theory) competing with?