News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

The Mask

It's interesting how it works in America. I might share how it works here generally.

Almost everyone goes to primary school, homeschooling is not popular here, mainly just kids who live on remote cattle stations. The public schools here are almost always better than private so most people go there. Same with high schools. About 60% are grade 7-12. This is where it really splits. After graduating, most will either go to Uni (most are quite good) or apprentices.

So yeah. A lot of 'most' s but that's because I don't know everyone :D
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Skyblade

Another interesting question, Mhera ;) And Masky 2.0, that's cool. Global connections!

I agree that the SAT and ACT (and other standardized exams) shouldn't be weighed especially heavily. After all, which is a better measure of intelligence, a GPA built over four years of schooling, or a tricky and random test taken in four hours on a Saturday morning that may or may not be the student's best day? Test anxiety plays a role too; really, the test is not a completely accurate way to see how ready students are for college. I will admit, though, the things tested seem applicable, and it's likely that most students who score very well on these (rather difficult, I must say) exams are hard workers. If a student can drive himself to reach an exceptionally high score on these exams, I think that right there shows universities that that person has the dedication and should be considered for acceptance. As mentioned earlier, I just don't like how one test can go wrong and show an inaccurate viewpoint of a student. Still, there isn't much one can do about that because the world is bound to have imperfections.

Having said the negatives, I will acknowledge that while I don't think test scores should be an especially crucial factor in college admissions, they should definitely at least be considered. The reason for having these exams is to find a solid way to compare all types of different students from across the country. Schools are, of course, not all the same. A 99 in two different schools, even if they are for the same class, do not mean the same thing. Some schools are easier on the academics, preferring to be more focused on sports and the marching bands, while others are academically challenging, magnet academies. Similarly, a rank of 1 or 2 in a school like the first I mentioned does not mean the same as the same rank in a school such as the latter. I find that standardized exams are necessary because, otherwise, there might be some unfair comparison (not that there might not be some already). With all these distinctions among schools, exams like the SAT and ACT remain constant - they are methods of seeing where a student is at.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Søren

Quote from: The Mask on February 18, 2015, 09:23:35 AM
It's interesting how it works in America. I might share how it works here generally.

Almost everyone goes to primary school, homeschooling is not popular here, mainly just kids who live on remote cattle stations. The public schools here are almost always better than private so most people go there. Same with high schools. About 60% are grade 7-12. This is where it really splits. After graduating, most will either go to Uni (most are quite good) or apprentices.

So yeah. A lot of 'most' s but that's because I don't know everyone :D
Very neat! Lots of time, and this is a growing problem, metropolitan public schools can sometimes be violent and underfunded. I've never been to a private school to know about that. Homeschooling has gained some popularity because of the problems in public schools. But there are still a lot of people who think that homeschooled children don't socialize. Which we do, by the way.

I'm retired from the forum

Skyblade

What are some of you all's' favorite universities? :)

One of the ones I recently got intrigued by is Carnegie Mellon. I really like how a student can major in two (seemingly) completely different subjects. I also like its way of thinking and style.

Another one I like a lot is Rice University, because I've been obsessed with it since I was in 8th grade.

Those are just two of them!

Mhera

@Sor:Yep, contrary to popular belief we're not friendless heathens. ;)

@Sky's standardized test comments: That all sounds about right. While I think the tests should be de-emphasized some to allow students to allocate their time towards learning more applicable subjects, I can see the value of having them for preliminary selection purposes. You're also right that the fact I'm ranked number one in my class doesn't mean a whole lot, heh. :P

@colleges: I don't know yet. I'm looking through information and getting some ideas, but at the moment I'm more concerned with figuring out my area of study.

Wylder Treejumper

Hmm... I plan on going to BYU for two years, then transferring to (hopefully) MIT or CalTec for a degree in Aerospace Engineering. As it is, I got a 33 on the ACT as a freshman, and I hope to get a perfect this year, so I should be cinched on admissions... I hope...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

There are so many great colleges around, and I am so proud of you all for succeeding academically and looking into these incredible schools.  Still, my favourite university is my university.  ;)

Skyblade

@Mhera: You're number one on your class? That's cool. Actually, more than cool :)
And you're right to focus more on your area of study first. I tried to do that and am still trying, but I still don't know what I would like to do :-\ Do you have an idea?

@Wylder: You are really smart!! Kudos, I imagine it's from a combination of talent and hard work. What extracurricular activities do you do?

@Banya: Thank you! :) I am truly glad you're here on the forums because you're such a great person! And yes, it's good for you to like your college most. Keep liking where you live and what you do (even if it changes) ;D

Wylder Treejumper

Er, let's see... It will be quite a list...

>MCJROTC (Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps)- Leadership education program run by ret. U.S. Marine Corps servicemen. Is actually a class and comprehensive program offering extracurricular activities as well. These include drill (precision formation marching), rifle marksmanship team, color guard, and PT (physical training) team. I am on every team except the drill team.
>FIRST Robotics- Competition team for designing, building, and programming a robot over a period of time for a competition. FIRST is widely recognized and offers millions of dollars in scholarships.
>Band- Kind of an extracurricular activity. I am a flutist.
>Orchestra- While it was available. I play violin.
>Young Authors Club- I actually founded this one. The goal is to connect young authors and give them a place to share their work and learn about publishing opportunities.

Er, I think that's all of them.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

Great activities; I can tell you're strong in and committed to academics.

I have my own extracurriculars... many are competitions. They vary. I may post my own list too.

Mhera

Quote from: Skyblade on February 19, 2015, 04:42:17 AM
@Mhera: You're number one on your class? That's cool. Actually, more than cool :)
Lol I'm homeschooled! Not only am I at the top of the class, I'm the only one in the class! ;D

Quote from: Skyblade on February 19, 2015, 04:42:17 AM
And you're right to focus more on your area of study first. I tried to do that and am still trying, but I still don't know what I would like to do :-\ Do you have an idea?
Not really. I've got no outstanding talents or interests and I like learning about almost everything under the sun (except chemistry *shudders*). I've got some ideas as to what to pursue, but nothing definite yet.

Skyblade

Looks like I still don't understand how homeschooling works, then ;D

Nah! I bet you do have your own outstanding talents. I'll admit, though, I don't see myself as very talented either... but everybody is good at something. And I like chemistry, actually. It's my favorite science x)

I agree a lot with Mhera, though, in that I like to learn about almost everything... I'm more of a rounded person, I think, so I don't lean too much towards one subject. That's one reason why it's very hard for me to choose a career. I know about "pursuing your passions", but I honestly would like to do multiple careers - at the same time! :o Or maybe combine different interests into one dream career. There're many things I enjoy, and do I really have to choose just one?

Banya, do you mind giving us some advice about this topic? Choosing a career/major?

Banya

I'll have something for you soon.  (I'm in class.)  :)

Søren

Quote from: Banya on February 19, 2015, 03:38:44 PM
Posting in class Banya? *tisk tisk*
Quite scandalous.

I'm retired from the forum

Banya

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on February 19, 2015, 04:53:55 PM
Quote from: Banya on February 19, 2015, 03:38:44 PM
Posting in class Banya? *tisk tisk*
Quite scandalous.

Gotta get through lecture somehow.