News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Who is the best wielder of Martin's sword?

Started by Muse, September 22, 2011, 10:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best wielder of Martin's sword?

Martin
Martin II
Luke
Badrang
Deadbrush
Matthias
Mattimeo
Samkin
Mokkan
Rakkety Tam
Bragoon
Sister Armel
Triss
Dandin
Dannflor
King Bull Sparra
Asmodeus
Arven
Vizka Longtooth
Magger
Deyna

Muse

Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Taggerung The Otter

everybeast it is martin's sword. i think he can weild it the best. just saying
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

KaiTheDog

Martin of course because it's HIS sword, but a quick question: Did Badrang ever actually use Martin's sword to do things other than cut down random hordebeast's kilts, or was it more like a trophy?

Lord Brock

I would have to say Martin.(The sword being his in the first place.)
What about Bosie from Doomwyte being on the list?
"We'll teach 'em the art o' war, mate!"
"Aye, an' 'twill be the 'ardest lesson they ever learned!"

Plugg Firetail

Rakkety Tam. He was a skilled fighter from the beginning, while Martin was trained by Boar, in the middle of his lifetime. Mister Macburl also knew how to use almost every single weapon.

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

Matthias was epic when he killed Cluny and Asmodeus though.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Sheep-From-The-Red-Hill

Vizka, he was able to effectively use it while swinging around a mace and chain, that's very impressive especially since he probably hasn't ever used a sword before.

Gulo

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 28, 2011, 08:36:29 PM
Quote from: Gulo on October 28, 2011, 07:27:43 PM
Reason I say this is that Rakkety managed to slay an armed wolverine without armour on whereas Martin sustained much more grievous injuries with armour and fighting an unarmed wildcat.
Firstly, I'd like to say that as a proud cat owner, domestic cats are never "unarmed", as long as they still have their claws intact. Even housecats are born killers, so a notably larger wildcat, like Tsarmina, would still be very lethal even without a sword. ;)

In real life, it turns out that wolverines really aren't that fast. I once said that Tam didn't seem to have a massive speed advantage over Gulo, but it's possible that still might have played a certain factor in keeping him alive -- after all, if Gulo moved as fast as he did I don't think Tam could have survived.

On the other hand, we know that cats, of course, have amazingly quick reflexes when they're preying on things, so with that, and the "sidestep" quote I provided in the Matthias topic, I think it's safe to say that Tsarmina is as quick as Martin is -- which, considering her greater size, is definitely a point in her favor. Gulo obviously has a lot more physical resilience, but cats are possibly the most dangerous predators on Earth when it comes to killing small mammals, so the difference between her and Gulo, when it comes to killing smaller creatures, might be a little overrated. Martin's sword is capable of slicing either of them up equally well, so I suspect Gulo's toughness might not be as much of an advantage as Tsarmina's speed. I think his greater strength is almost a moot point, since both the wolverine and the wildcat are going to be much stronger than either the mouse or the squirrel. Comparing a wildcat and a wolverine over their ability to overpower prey mammals is just comparing "overkill" and "even more overkill."

With that in mind, although I agree a wildcat wouldn't fare well in a fight with a wolverine, Martin's sword negates the wolverine's physical toughness, so the wildcat might still be more lethal in a fight against a smaller mammal, because it's as agile as they are and the wolverine isn't.

All that said, I have to admit that I am very biased in favor of Martin and Tsarmina, so feel free to take this with a pound of salt.

Wildcat or housecat vs. wolverine absolutely no comparison or no chance for the cat. Wolverines are tanks theyll chase away a pack of wolves from a kill, and even kill adult caribou that have been caught in a snow drift. Theyre also able to take a lot of damage before dying and theyre jaws are even locked into their skulls at the hinge giving them bone crushing strenght and they do indeed eat the bones of large animals. I must say some of the points youve raised here are quite interesting especially in regards to their effectiveness to kill small animals in terms of wildcat vs. wolverine. But still just the brute power and its ability to take damage I think would compensate for its lack of agility I dont think I can stress enough that in real life wolverines are absolute tanks they will eat a housecat or wildcat for lunch. It has been noted to even fight against bears and cougars. Although the outcome is usually in the cougar or bears favor but still they just dont back down from anything even creatures many times their size. Thats is why I find rakety tam who is a squirrel killing a wolverine probably the greatest deed in redwall just due to the fact how wolverines are in real life.

I suppose it could also stand to reason that Rakkety Tam won by luck and supernatural help Martin telling him to sharpen the edges of his sheild before battle and that while Rakkety Tam was lying the ditch he was badly wounded while Gulo even though he was wounded from Rakkety he seemed more or less fine prior to getting beheaded by the sheild none of his wounds were mortal or overly serious while Rakkety spent considerable time in the infirmy. Rakkety throwing Gulo on the shield could be seen as a lucky hit I suppose much Gabool managed to stab Rawnblade in the chest with a dagger a wound that would likely be fatal had Rawnblade not been wearing armour. But then again Tsarmina did drown herself from what I remember.       

Sheep-From-The-Red-Hill

QuoteWildcat or housecat vs. wolverine absolutely no comparison or no chance for the cat.

Agreed

QuoteWolverines are tanks theyll chase away a pack of wolves from a kill

The only reason they are able to do this is because of their pungent smell and their aggressiveness, in a fight to the death a wolf would overcome a wolverine.

Quote, and even kill adult caribou that have been caught in a snow drift.

These caribou are usually on their last legs and do not put up much of a fight.

QuoteTheyre also able to take a lot of damage before dying and theyre jaws are even locked into their skulls at the hinge giving them bone crushing strenght and they do indeed eat the bones of large animals.

A wolverines durability is most likely over exaggerated and while it may have a bone crushing bite it most likely won't be able to accomplish that on a living animal.

QuoteI must say some of the points youve raised here are quite interesting especially in regards to their effectiveness to kill small animals in terms of wildcat vs. wolverine. But still just the brute power and its ability to take damage I think would compensate for its lack of agility I dont think I can stress enough that in real life wolverines are absolute tanks they will eat a housecat or wildcat for lunch.

I think you are actually overestimating the cat here, wolverines weigh up to about twenty to fifty pounds while large wildcats rarely hit the thirty pound range. If a wolverine and cat where to meet it the cat wouldn't be able to hold its own for more than eight seconds.

QuoteIt has been noted to even fight against bears and cougars. Although the outcome is usually in the cougar or bears favor but still they just dont back down from anything even creatures many times their size. Thats is why I find rakety tam who is a squirrel killing a wolverine probably the greatest deed in redwall just due to the fact how wolverines are in real life.

Again those accounts are generally surrounded by myth and rumors and I don't see why people find their audacity so impressive. I mean would you call a man dumb or brave if he decided to punch a polar bear in the face?

eualaia

i think martin was the best wielder he killed a WILDCAT with it

p.s. i forged a copy of martin's sword with hardened tempered steel
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Blademaster

I liked Buckler (the main hare from the sable queen) beacause instead of magicaly finding martin's sword and killing someone right off the bat. He stuck with his own sword and still kicked but. ;D
Cluny-"Shut up!" Cheesethief-"Shutting up chief."

Ceteruler

duh... Martin I. Does it even need to be said?!

Melody

I agree Martin the warrior.  ;D
I'd give a close second to Matthias (just my opinion). :D

ilovemariel

Quote from: Nightfire on September 23, 2011, 06:07:59 PM
Martin the Warrioir, obviously. It WAS his sword, after all. Second best would be Luke, because he was the first wielder of the Sword, as far as we know.

Martin was not exactly the first wielder of the sword, maybe the badger lords repaired it, but that does not mean it was made for him.
Luke, his father, passed it down to him, just like his grandpa had to his father, great grand sire to his grand father... ??? :-\
Old stories told by travellers, Great songs that bards have sung, Of Mossflower summers, faded, gone, When Redwall's stones were young. Great Hall fires on winter nights,
The legends, who remembers,Battles, banquets, comrades, quests,Recalled midst glowing embers.Draw close now, little woodlander