Main Menu

Eragon series

Started by Song Swifteye, September 26, 2011, 11:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Song Swifteye

I love them but I have not watched the movie
give em blood an vinegar chaps

Nightfire

Technially, they're actually called the Inheritance Cycle. But the movie is actually terrible. The graphics are cool, and Saphira looks INCREDIBLE, but they made a complete MESS of the story! They changed it so much from the book, that all Eragon fans who have ever read the books were appaled.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Folgrimeo

(Warning: I don't like "Eragon". I have nothing against people who do like it, or against the Inheritance Cycle. But I was spurred to respond because of hearing about that movie again)

I didn't watch the movie (and didn't really read the book either - got 100 pages in before I gave up, but then again that was right after I read "Redwall" for the first time), but I felt so bad for the author having the movie possibly tarnish his image. Didn't matter how the book was perceived, it didn't deserve to have a movie like that. And the reason I care is that Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter already did such an incredible job adapting the books to movies (Harry Potter's movies might have glossed over a LOT, but generally they were still entertaining) that perhaps audiences were predisposed to seeing the movie version of whatever the latest book craze is. And you know how they'll see it. They'll think the book's just a longer version of the movie - as accurate and as good or bad as the movie was. Which is a bad assumption, but I'm thinking anyone who doesn't read books regularly (like me) might think along those lines.

I believe the fans of a book will also be the most nitpicking or critical of a movie version. I see nothing wrong with the Lord of the Rings movies as I've never read them (read the first and half of the second, but I was bored through most of it), but then I go online and see people complaining about a missing chapter or someone has the wrong outfit or some other minute detail. Look at complaints over the Harry Potter films and they're even worse. I did read those books, and I know Nearly Headless Nick was conspicuously absent, but it was so long ago that I forgot most of the details, so again I wasn't as disturbed as some other fans may have been.

Then there's that notorious example how I'm one of the (probably) few "Trumpet of the Swan" fans on earth to have loved the horrible animated film of said book. Aside from the cringeworthy first half-hour, it does undoubtedly switch around the events in the timeline a lot, yet miraculously retains the spirit of the book and gets the important moments right. There are still moments I hate with a passion, but the story is still strong enough that I was able to overlook all that.

Back to "Eragon". Part of it is I'm not big on medieval or fantasy settings unless I love the characters in it (hence my admiration for Disney's animated "Robin Hood" and the "Men in Tights" comedy version). But mostly I came in thinking it'd be like "Jeremy Thatcher: Dragon Hatcher". I love the idea of a little dragon growing up, it's why I became so attached to Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback dragon from the first Harry Potter book, as well as Tiamat from "Jeremy Thatcher". ...but that's all lost once the dragon grows up and has to attend to action matters, no longer bonding with its owner so much as being convenient transportation or a flying flamethrower. So I start off reading "Eragon", I take to Saphira immediately... and then it's like in the blink of an eye she's grown up. Completely missed opportunity. Maybe later on she bonds with Eragon, but I didn't see much of that in the first 100 pages.

Nightfire

She bonds with Eragon later on. The first part of the book, he desn't really want to accept the fact that his life has suddenly been turned upside-down. One day he was an innocent farm-boy, the next, he became a dragon-rider. Eventually, he grows to accept his responsibility, and it gets really interesting. You can't judge a book by reading the first 100 pages. I remember that, when Sable Quean came out, it took until literally THE END OF THE BOOK, where Buckler is being defeated by Zwilt before I got interested. From then on, the book was great to me. But I seriously had to read the entire thing before liking it. Folgrimeo, I advise that you soon get Eragon out of the library and try reading it again. I really, really respect your opinion, but I advise reading through the entire thing, THEN make a desicion.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I'll start bluntly. I didn't at all enjoy the books when I read them. And the movie as well, for ruining the series. I don't like movie adaptions falling that badly. Paolini's writing style was far from anything I liked, for certain. It was too...varied. He had a strange choice of verb use, and something of a phobia of the word 'said', in addition to generally not being of a enjoyable nature to me. I've honestly wrote very long analyzes of the books, and I stated I did not like them. Probably not going to do that here.
A friend of mine also once wrote a long chapter-by-chapter report on Brisingr, starting with a long foreword regarding why she didn't like the name and summary and Inheritance/Paolini in general. Also thought he was Taoist, but let's not go into that here.
I'd call the books rather drawn out and somewhat lame. Arya is my absolute least favorite of the characters, followed by Eragon and then followed by literally everyone else besides Murtagh, Saphira and Brom, all of whom I liked. Look how they turned out.
And then there's the originality. The elements of Pern, LotR, Narnia and Star Wars are drastic. For example, a scene in Eragon with Brom and Eragon is strikingly similar to one with Luke and Ben in Star Wars speaking to Solo and Chewbacca.
And then there's Doctor Who. The line "and the lonely traveler wanders from shore to distant shore, upholding the law of the universe" in Brisingr is the show's theme.
While it's not horrible in itself that the guy used a ton from other sources, the way it was went about wasn't particularly amazing.
Fourth book coming out-I would actually like to read it, just to see what happens with the story. Not going to spend $30 or so on it though.

*edited somewhat for clarification, and more accurate word choice
Also, Paolini is apparently a fan of Doctor Who and did admit that the line was based on an episode of it. So that is that. Seems like he just copied it too much, but whatever.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Nightfire

Well, you're entitled to an opinion. But I thought his writing style was pretty good. Remember, he was a new author to the writing world. His books were only so drawn out, because he had a LOT of stuff. to put in it. Besides, he was a teenagere when he wrote those. I'm sure his style is more rounded out by now. I noticed a change in how the first book was a little inexperienced-sounding, whereas the second one was better. The third one was incredible, in my opnion, so I'm sure that the fourth one will be epic.

Log-a-Log

The Eragon movie was terrible. The only movie that I've seen that was a great movie based of a book was Lord of the Rings.
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Dannflor

the books are pretty good I like them I can't wait until the next book comes out I did not watch the movie though
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Icefire

The movie sucked. If you haven't yet watched it, DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with Log-a-Log. LOTR was the best movie based off of a book, but even that one I like to tear apart! I literally start yelling at the screen at some parts......I do the same thing with Guardians of Ga'Hoole and I can't even stand watching the Redwall movie or Prince Caspian anymore.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

White One6193

Okay, LOTR and the first CON movie were good. "Prince Caspian" and the Eragon movie utterly sucked >:( >:( >:( >:(. On a lighter note, Inheritance comes out November 8th! ;D I must admit that Chris's writing style was a little rough about the edges, but I read an excerpt from the new book and must say that he's rounded out a LOT of the problems from the first book. BUT NO MORE INSULTS, if you would be so kind. It is hard to hear such harsh criticism against a guy I know personally. Plus he's a fellow Montanan, and therefore such insult is doubly painful. :D
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Stating my opinion, mate. I posted what I thought of his books and writing, that's me.

White One6193

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on October 05, 2011, 05:09:08 PM
Stating my opinion, mate. I posted what I thought of his books and writing, that's me.
And as such I completely respect it. Just maybe be a little more tactful next time? thanks!
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Can I ask what is your exact problem with my analysis? You've been very vague and unspecific, and I'm wondering what you're annoyed with.

Nightfire

Wait just as second WhiteOne...You know Christopher Paolini PERSONALLY? REALLY? Awesome! I've always wanted to meet the guy! How do you know him?

And on a serious note:  Please, can you guys not start fighting? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but no insults.

Log-a-Log

I might be wrong, but I think Paolini wrote the first draft of Eragon when he was around 15. It didn't get published for several years though
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart