Redwall for school???

Started by Firehawke, June 14, 2011, 06:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawke

Quote from: Wot Wot! on June 28, 2011, 12:27:31 AM
Firehawke,
That is really amazing.  I am just about to embark on my master's in English Lit.  How cool you were able to write on Redwall!  I have some trepidation, because I'm wondering how fans of these types of books are received in the academic world: are the books given a perfunctory deconstructive critique and then tossed aside for the latest Joyce Carol Oates text or are they taken seriously? :-)

Good luck with your Master's!  I think that Redwall was accepted as well as it was at my university because of the fact that my thesis advisor specialized in medieval literature and taught classes on Tolkien's works.  As for as research goes, I couldn't really find much.  There's some stuff out there that deals with fantasy and utopias/dystopias.  Not much else, though.  I think that if the research is well written, it's taken seriously, even if there isn't that much of an audience for the research.
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Gerbilkit

I wrote about Martin the Warrior for my AP Lit & Comp test my senior year in high school. I'm pretty confident my choice of literature was the reason I got a 3 instead of a 4 on that test...
"Sometimes a dagger can reach further than a sword, remember that stoat." - Luke the Warrior

sabretache5611

i honestly can't remember if i did a book report on a redwall book.

Oh and i have a question

In the near future does anyone think redwall books will be used by school systems around the world??

personally i think that it would be great!
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Firehawke

Quote from: Gerbilkit on July 11, 2011, 10:01:36 PM
I wrote about Martin the Warrior for my AP Lit & Comp test my senior year in high school. I'm pretty confident my choice of literature was the reason I got a 3 instead of a 4 on that test...

That's killer!

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 12, 2011, 07:28:54 AM
i honestly can't remember if i did a book report on a redwall book.

Oh and i have a question

In the near future does anyone think redwall books will be used by school systems around the world??

personally i think that it would be great!

I think it would be great if schools used it.  If for nothing else, it would be a great example to use in creative writing classes to show how to write with different accents, how to work riddles into the text, etc
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

daskar666

Coobreedan

The only thing that my school had to do with Redwall, is that in Year 2 of primary school, everyone watched the Redwall TV series. I don't think we even played it outside. By Year 6 I started reading Redwall, and the only person that remembered Redwall was Gurshane.

I also once shouted "I am that is!" and then punched Amir. Hehehehe.

I might advertise Redwall now I'm in secondary school, but nobody likes to read books about animals, and the only people who do hate battles and war and death and blood and Redwall basically. 

I MUST PROMOTE REDWALL! I MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST!
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Skalrag of Marshank

I know, right? I love animal books, but not those boy/girl and his/her dog/horse books. Like GuitarMouse's signature says, "What good are talking animals if they don't kill each other?" ;D

I read Redwall during class, too, Daskar. And Warriors. And Guardians of Ga'Hoole. And I'm working on Watership Down.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Log-a-Log

I've heard Watership Down is similar to Redwall. I've never read it, so do you guys think it is similar? 
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Osu

I don't think Watership Down and Redwall are terribly alike at all, apart from the anthromorphics, anyway. :)

I have decided that I will write a speech on Redwall this semester if it kills me. Bahahaha! ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Coobreedan

YAAAAAAAY!

I HAVE PROMOTED REDWALL!

Today I visited the school library for the first time. It was one of the best moments of my entire life.

Instead of doing what we were meant to be doing, I looked in the JAA section. It had Mariel Of Redwall, Tarrerung, Long Patrol, Redwall and High Rhulian (and all three CotFD books).
On the other side was the ROsomething section, with all the Harry Potter books.
So my favourite authors both in one place! At lunch break, I went to the library with two friends, who are now Redwall fans!
One of the guys I introduced was 11abirch, who is a newbie here.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Nightfire

I drive my mom crazy with me mentioning Redwall every few seconds during school, so I doubt that she'll agree to let me use it as a curriculum.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Firewall978

At my school I have to read 600 pages from any book(s) each trimester for my english class. My first 2 years I read and finished all the Redwall books and got a serious amount of pages in.

MatthiasMan

Tiria Wildlough

Why are you reviving all these topics? There's no need to unless you have something worthwhile to add to the topic.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 27, 2012, 04:18:15 AM
Why are you reviving all these topics? There's no need to unless you have something worthwhile to add to the topic.

Exactly. :)  Please do not bump old topics unless you have something to add to them.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra