News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Overlord's Orders Commentary

Started by Hickory, April 08, 2015, 11:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izeroth

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on April 27, 2015, 04:48:12 AM
I can't say for sure, I haven't read your original post. I'm just keeping this, as a reminder to everyone, to follow this rule. It is only a couple of rounds old.

Ok, then. I'll make sure to keep that in mind in the future.

James Gryphon

Actually, that particular rule's been around since Musician's round V; it just hasn't been placed in red highlights most of that time.

When Jasper and I talked about updating and clarifying the rules, apparently that was one of the things he felt was important to make known to everyone. I guess it was necessary; I think I remember people trying to tote the mind control excuse out during the round I most recently OL'd, XI.
« Subject to editing »

Søren

Ah yes,the good old days when I could get away with stuff. ;D

I'm retired from the forum

James Gryphon

The mind control thing was okay the first couple of times it was done, but after that, it got old very fast. OO2-4 were blessed with an exceptional core group of players, with Daniel, Tagg, Music and Matthias. They're the reason why it took as long as it did before this rule was clearly necessary. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it maybe once every two or three games, but if it's legal, people will abuse it, so it has to be totally outlawed.

That said, though, I think we're finding ways to work around the mind control ban. The closest thing to it that we have now (which I am guilty of using myself) is "so-and-so threatened me with a gun to do X". Not sure how much more life that has before it starts to wear thin.
« Subject to editing »

Søren

Yeah.
I would also like to remind everyone, and you've been great with this, is to be creative. OO should be fun. ;)

James Gryphon

Posted for what'll probably be the last time this phase. Not my finest work, but I didn't take long with it, no more than probably fifteen minutes.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Søren

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Søren

Oh, I keep getting ROUND and SESSION mixed up.

LT Sandpaw

Ya things have gone a little haywire with the whole ship thing and whatnot. Fun but muddled.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Mhera

Quote from: James Gryphon on April 27, 2015, 05:04:49 AM
That said, though, I think we're finding ways to work around the mind control ban. The closest thing to it that we have now (which I am guilty of using myself) is "so-and-so threatened me with a gun to do X". Not sure how much more life that has before it starts to wear thin.
The gun thing is getting old. Almost everything about this game has been really fun, but having to explain why you pointed a gun at someone three rounds in a row is annoying. I don't really have a problem with being made to threaten someone (I've done it too), but some originality would be nice :P

But again, other than that the game has been fun. This is my first time playing so I don't have a great handle on what makes a good Overlord, but I think you're doing really well, Soren.

Hickory

*sigh*  I know. I was planning to break away from the habit... but I got out.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Søren

@Mhera
Thanks you.
@Sage
Yeah, it seemed so easy to blame my actions on someone because they had control of my body.

James Gryphon

QuoteOh, I keep getting ROUND and SESSION mixed up.
It's occurred to me that the terminology used to describe parts of the game is subject to getting mixed up, so this is what I would propose:

"Game" or "round" to refer to each individual, distinct game (OO I, OO II, etc.).
"Stage" or "phase" to refer to an individual segment of the game (so each round consists of several stages, with a diminishing count of player from stage to stage).

---

I mean to work away from the gun thing, but it will take a bit of effort to remember to do so; it's very easy to do.

Considering the last couple of posts, I think I'll have to make one last post to deflect blame. I have a hard time letting a stage end with undefended attacks on me.
« Subject to editing »