Black-furred creatures

Started by Nightfire, October 07, 2011, 02:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDoogyPlumm

Rafe Granden (did I spell that right?) is a black hare.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 09, 2012, 01:35:18 AM
Um, I don't think so.
Quote from the Redwall Wiki(about Rafe): "He was tall and sinewy with sable fur, and he had a scar running down his face from eartip to jaw."
I think "sable" means black in this case, right?  Not the animal.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Flandor

As far as I could find out, sable isn't black.  The word normally refers to a color that ie a very, very dark brown. 
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah, I think sable means black. In Pearls of Lutra, it says that Inbar had sable fur.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Flandor on July 10, 2012, 11:53:14 AM
As far as I could find out, sable isn't black.  The word normally refers to a color that ie a very, very dark brown. 

Spot on Flandor, I Googled it, and Sable is dark brown... Which mathces up with the idea of an otters' fur color.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

WildDoogyPlumm

According to my dictionary sable means black.

Flandor

Mine says the same, but everything else I've read has said sable most often means darkest brown, which is also the color that Sables (the animal) are.  I wouldn't classify him as black because A) Mr. Jacques always used black to describe black furred creatures, and B) the most common idea of the color sable is dark dark brown.  But that's only my opinion.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Dante8002

Yalahoo!

Jetthebinturong

I'm fairly sure he had golden fur.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Tungro

Quote from: Redwall WikiRuggan Bor was a fearsome fox warlord and chieftain of the Juskabor. His fur was an unusual golden color, and he had green wavy lines tattooed on his forehead, along with yellow circles on the cheeks (this was his clan symbol).