News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite Name in Redwall

Started by martins#1fan, June 14, 2011, 05:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osu

Mhera! I forgot about her, but I remember I LOVED that name. I named one of my dolls after her, and when my family started to get into games like Everquest and World of Warcraft, I always named my character Mhera or some equivalent. Beautiful name.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Log-a-Log

Skor Axehound is the best name in all the books
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

martins#1fan

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 05, 2011, 02:54:32 PM
Skor Axehound is the best name in all the books
I've got to agree with you on that one!
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Felldoh450

Go ye into all the world and  preach the Gospel.

Tiria Wildlough

Just for a bit of science, some animals are called like their scientific names. For instance, a European badger's scientific name is something like 'meles meles' hence 'Lady Melesme!'
I have said this before, but 'Lutra' comes from the scientific name of sea otters: Enhydra Lutris, or something of the sort.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

daskar666

Quote from: TinaFey123/Tomthetomatoe on June 14, 2011, 07:01:11 PM
Quote from: Mariel on June 14, 2011, 05:31:51 PM
Storm Gullwhacker is WAY more than "Mariel", I wish Jacques had just left her memory destroyed forever.  I  heard that he took forever to choose her name, but finally decided on Mariel because he thought it sounded like a bell ringing.  WHATEVER.
Whoah there Mariel. Let's keep it G rated here. Upon registration you were shown the rules of participation to this hallowed forum, and to see you playing with the limits of safety is, I have to admit, a tad disconcerting  . I hope you will understand if I use this happenstance as an example (your online identity will be kept safe with a pseudonym) for my general safety column titled Worried Parents Unite! to expand the regard for internet safety rules in my hometown community. If you have a problem with this then please let me know because I could easily just not write about you. Best, Tomatoe ;D
Visual representations of sound waves won't hurt your children. Trust me I'm 15 and I used words like this since I was 9 or 10 and I'm still not dead. Please  refrain from supressing freedom of speech and having an unnatural phobia of synonyms for "rear end". Thank you.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

On the subject of the word used, it's against the rules. @daskar: If you don't have a problem with it, then so be it. But it doesn't get posted on this forum. Period. If it does, it gets removed-without user consent.

But discussing language is off-topic here. Return to the topic's point, or don't post.

I don't think I've said my favorite names yet, so I will now. I like a lot of the more rough sounding names, like Zaran. Really, there's few names I don't like. I'd say BJ choose brilliant names, that fit the character at hand.
He said he imagined the characters, and then thought on what would describe them best as a name, or what name sounded good for them. Sometimes it was something like Plumnose, Ragtail, or Threeclaws. Names that described their figure or prounounced their look. A lot of names were much different. Redwall had a lot more normal names, like Thomas, George, Edmund and Anthony. That theme only existed in the first novel though.

From Ask Brian Files, Volume 1:

Question-41. Some of the bad guys' names are reasonably obvious (Redtooth, Darkckaw, Bladetail), but how do you come up with the other names, like Romsca, Ferahgo, Slagar, Ublaz, and Lask Frildur? (Sara Doherty, Lansing, Michigan)

Brian: I spend a long time thinking of names that sound bad or mean. I play with words and shuffle them until something feels right. Hard sounds like k and g and x and z often do the trick.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

daskar666

Was the word in question actually posted? The quote contained asterisks...

Osu

Zaran! Wow, I'd forgotten about her, too. She's was pretty awesome.
I always kind of wondered if vermin with names like, say, Threeclaws were always called that, or if they got the new name after losing a claw or two.

And I thought of another fabulous name, you guys!
Toobledum from Loamhedge.
Classy.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

daskar666

Often vermin with a particular name were described as having features pertaining to that name so I'd say they're most likely born without names (I don't remember Swartt or Bluefen naming Veil) and then get nicknames based on features.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Veil would have been named by Bella of Brockhall.

Goodbeasts have a similar trend. Like moles; Rutter, Grubclaw, Urthclaw, Rooter, they're names are based on their attributes.

Gonff

Rusa Nodrey is another good one... Although I don't think I could pick a favorite.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Storm

Quote from: Mariel on June 14, 2011, 05:31:51 PM
Storm Gullwhacker is WAY more than "Mariel", I wish Jacques had just left her memory destroyed forever.  I  heard that he took forever to choose her name, but finally decided on Mariel because he thought it sounded like a bell ringing.  WHATEVER.
I love the name Storm just as much as you but I shiver to think what would have happened if she didn't regain her memory her father would wonder about what Trag should do and we wouldn't have most of "Mariel of Redwall" and not any of "The Bellmaker". My favorite name is between Storm Gullwacker, Mariel, Dandin, and the Honorable Rosemary, aka Hon Rosie.
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I'm all for saying Brian Jacques was one of the best name-creators ever.